Gbinije's play last 5 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije's play last 5 games

He has been a kid who lacked confidence for sure...'it' was always there within him...he must be on top of the world right now and good for him!

That dunk put back yesterday was phenomenal!

Spot on. For the first 7-8 games of the season, we got basically nothing from the 3 spot, between Roberson, Gbinije, and Johnson. Yes, each had their moments--but certainly nothing consistent.

The last couple of games, Gbinije has really nailed things down. That is one of the most important developments for this team, IMO--we're now getting production, shooting, scoring, and versatility from the 3 spot, whereas it was a hole earlier on in the season.

Which in turn makes its easier on everyone else. Harder to double Rakeeem! Have to make a choice between sticking to Cooney or Mike if you want to attempt to double Rak at all. Its amazing what having 3 legit established scorers will do for you as opposed to just 2 especially when 2 can get you from deep. This was the key to the 09 offense. 2 great shooters and excellent post play. Remember how much room Kris, Scoop and Dion were afforded to operate and how easy it was to get a good look for either Rick or Arinze when they played together? If Mike can keep this up (and I don't mean shooting 80% from the floor, just being that effective 3rd scorer) then all 3 main scorers get better looks, which leads to more patience and ball movement as a side effect. It also means that Kaleb, Chris and Tyler can operate without pressure and basically fill in the gaps offensively as complimentary players while they learn. JB says he can play this way all the time almost like he was expecting it all along. If that's the case then when we sure up the defense and turnovers we can play with almost anyone IMO and foul trouble becomes the main issue.

I think Gbinije was deferring to more established teammates last year. This season he has to step forward and be one of the stars of the team. He's proving himself capable of it. JB wants him to play at this level on a consistent basis, which he has for the last few games.

Which in turn makes its easier on everyone else. Harder to double Rakeeem! Have to make a choice between sticking to Cooney or Mike if you want to attempt to double Rak at all. Its amazing what having 3 legit established scorers will do for you as opposed to just 2 especially when 2 can get you from deep. This was the key to the 09 offense. 2 great shooters and excellent post play. Remember how much room Kris, Scoop and Dion were afforded to operate and how easy it was to get a good look for either Rick or Arinze when they played together? If Mike can keep this up (and I don't mean shooting 80% from the floor, just being that effective 3rd scorer) then all 3 main scorers get better looks, which leads to more patience and ball movement as a side effect. It also means that Kaleb, Chris and Tyler can operate without pressure and basically fill in the gaps offensively as complimentary players while they learn. JB says he can play this way all the time almost like he was expecting it all along. If that's the case then when we sure up the defense and turnovers we can play with almost anyone IMO and foul trouble becomes the main issue.

That's what I meant by the "tentpole" comparison. JB thought I was talking about playing team ball but I was talking about the performance of individual players impacting the opportunities of their teammates. The more players we get playing well, the better for everybody. Right now Christmas, Gbinije and Cooney are playing at a high level. Joseph is coming around,. McCullough is slumping. If we can get them all going, we'll have a strong starting line up. Then we need to work on the depth: Roberson, Patterson and Obokoh. (Johnson I think will be the 9th guy and could blossom in another year).

That's what I meant by the "tentpole" comparison. JB thought I was talking about playing team ball but I was talking about the performance of individual players impacting the opportunities of their teammates. The more players we get playing well, the better for everybody. Right now Christmas, Gbinije and Cooney are playing at a high level. Joseph is coming around,. McCullough is slumping. If we can get them all going, we'll have a strong starting line up. Then we need to work on the depth: Roberson, Patterson and Obokoh. (Johnson I think will be the 9th guy and could blossom in another year).

Yes I remember the ten poles, very good way to put it. Chris can't play worse with his talent at this point and he is a pretty long tent pole so sooner or latter he will keep his standing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom