Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

TT at the 5 scares me. The entire season may be predicated on him becoming just an average defender wherever he plays.

Agreed and that will be something I will look at closely this year. We don't now what he would like like playing the wing either and he's going to play a lot of minutes somewhere.

I'm thinking about a .500 record. Could be a very nice lineup in a year or two but it's going to be a long 17/18.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Boeheim often does his best with teams that aren't predicted to perform that well.

Battle and TT would have to be pretty freaking good to turn this into a top 1/4 team in conference [which isn't outside of the realm of possibility for either player]. But on paper, not very exciting.

Are student-athletes allowed to tryout or practice with the team?

As an NCAA rule, Division I and Division III schools do not allow tryouts. On an official or unofficial visit, you may participate in workouts that are not organized or observed by the coaching staff. Typically, the workout will be lead by the team’s captains and they must not be designed to test your athletic ability. Division II and NAIA schools are allowed to conduct one tryout, in the off-season of your sport, during your senior year.

So What does that mean?

What do you guys think?

PG: Thorpe / Howard
SG: Battle / Washington
SF: Dolezaj / Brissett
PF: Moyer / Sidibe
C: Thompson / Chukwu

Good breakdown. A couple of quick observations, because I think this is very close / probably the right group to start the season, if we land a couple of guys:
  • It isn't outside of the realm of possibility that Howard gets his head screwed on straight and turns things around. If he does, pencil him in at the 1. If not, then Thorpe plays there in a two-combo guard lineup.
  • Wouldn't surprise me to see Howard / Thorpe / Battle all start, especially if Dolezaj is too physically skinny to play heavy minutes in the ACC
  • I think that Moyer will get first crack to start at the 4, having a year in the system under his belt, but wouldn't be surprised to see Brissett start there instead
  • Sidibe is strictly a 5
  • I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Chukwu start at center. If that happens, could see it being Howard / Thorpe / Battle / TT / Chukwu -- potentially a offensively potent group
  • If Chukwu doesn't play a solid dose of minutes, I envision a three forward lineup consisting primarily of Dolezaj, Moyer, Brissett with TT playing primarily in the pivot
  • TT playing primarily in the pivot isn't a good thing for us defensively, but it could very easily work out that way
  • I'd expect Washington to be the odd man out this year if we land Thorpe
  • We REALLY need to land Thorpe / Dolezaj, or we're going to be a poor shooting / scoring team on paper...

What do you guys think?

PG: Thorpe / Howard
SG: Battle / Washington
SF: Dolezaj / Brissett
PF: Moyer / Sidibe
C: Thompson / Chukwu

You'll never see clear cut single role alignments like that. One of the strengths with that roster will be flexibility. Look for a 3 guard rotation with Thorpe / Howard and Battle. Look for Battle to potentially play some minutes at the 3. Look for Thompson to play a Lydon-like role (early season) with a lot of minutes at the 4 if Chuckwu / Sidibe can play effectively in the middle of the zone. Forward position is especially intriguing with 3-4 players with very different skill sets lending itself to some situational substitution opportunities. And this all discounts the scenario under which Dolezaj meets his ceiling and can actually play some 2 as has been indicated. When all is said and done there will be 3 guards, 3 forwards and 1.5 centers seeing virtually all of the available minutes.

Good breakdown. A couple of quick observations, because I think this is very close / probably the right group to start the season, if we land a couple of guys:
  • It isn't outside of the realm of possibility that Howard gets his head screwed on straight and turns things around. If he does, pencil him in at the 1. If not, then Thorpe plays there in a two-combo guard lineup.
  • Wouldn't surprise me to see Howard / Thorpe / Battle all start, especially if Dolezaj is too physically skinny to play heavy minutes in the ACC
  • I think that Moyer will get first crack to start at the 4, having a year in the system under his belt, but wouldn't be surprised to see Brissett start there instead
  • Sidibe is strictly a 5
  • I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Chukwu start at center. If that happens, could see it being Howard / Thorpe / Battle / TT / Chukwu -- potentially a offensively potent group
  • If Chukwu doesn't play a solid dose of minutes, I envision a three forward lineup consisting primarily of Dolezaj, Moyer, Brissett with TT playing primarily in the pivot
  • TT playing primarily in the pivot isn't a good thing for us defensively, but it could very easily work out that way
  • I'd expect Washington to be the odd man out this year if we land Thorpe
  • We REALLY need to land Thorpe / Dolezaj, or we're going to be a poor shooting / scoring team on paper...
Dolezaj been banging with men in their mid twenties in a league that doesn't call fouls like we do. Have you looked at the post of the rosters he faced?

On the bright side, i expect there to be a lot of good competition between brissett and marek for minutes. Both guys didnt come here to sit.

Dolezaj been banging with men in their mid twenties in a league that doesn't call fouls like we do. Have you looked at the post of the rosters he faced?

I have. That doesn't change the fact that he's ~185 pounds, playing in a physical league. Maybe he'll be ready to play, maybe he won't. But if anything does hold him back this season it will probably be his physique more so than his skill level [which is high].

Also, might want to rethink the phrasing of your first sentence...

I have. That doesn't change the fact that he's ~185 pounds, playing in a physical league. Maybe he'll be ready to play, maybe he won't. But his physique is what might hold him back, far moreso than his skill level.

Also, might want to rethink the phrasing of your first sentence...
I think his transition to the American college game, communicating in and understand the zone and understanding what JB/the staff wants will be the biggest question marks for him. Who knows how well he'll understand our staff and how quickly that translates on the court.

I have. That doesn't change the fact that he's ~185 pounds, playing in a physical league. Maybe he'll be ready to play, maybe he won't. But his physique is what might hold him back, far moreso than his skill level.
You are right often and may be now but he's a slinky guy that's fearless, sees his opportunies to make his move, and has quick feet/ decent handle and he's gone attacking the rim with defender looking back over his shoulder watching. Now when he gets to the rim... ?

I'm thinking about a .500 record. Could be a very nice lineup in a year or two but it's going to be a long 17/18.
500 record in the ACC would okay. We would have a young team and hopefully a solid recruiting year coming after them.

500 record in the ACC would okay. We would have a young team and hopefully a solid recruiting year coming after them.
I think we'll all take .500 ACC in a heartbeat. The better question is whether we'll be closer to .500 overall.

JB will take heat if he goes .500 or worse next year. I for one won't be happy.
With how thin our roster is now.500 would be overachieving and would be met with optimism on this board.

With how thin our roster is now.500 would be overachieving and would be met with optimism on this board.
I can't wait for the first person to nominate JB for coach of the year if he does go .500.

I can't wait for the first person to nominate JB for coach of the year if he does go .500.
I personally care more about 2018 recruiting than I do the 2017-18 season.
We need talent
. Next year we need our top players to play above what they ever have to get where we did in ACC play.

I personally care more about 2018 recruiting than I do the 2017-18 season.
We need talent
. Next year we need our top players to play above what they ever have to get where we did in ACC play.
I am excited for next year. My expectations are relatively low. I want us to win games, but with so many young players, it will be fun to watch them develop. Who knows, maybe they will come together quickly. We have a bunch of likeable guys who will be easy to root for.

I am excited for next year. My expectations are relatively low. I want us to win games, but with so many young players, it will be fun to watch them develop. Who knows, maybe they will come together quickly. We have a bunch of likeable guys who will be easy to root for.
What you say may be true but it's not a team that can compete with the top ACC teams as currently constructed.

We have competed in 1 of 4 ACC seasons. We need a top 4 season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom