Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Sanctions have nothing to do with the recruiting failures. The coaching transition chaos was orchestrated by JB for his short-term benefit. The only grounds for forgiveness are because god says we must do it.

Bullcrap. Sanctions have everything to do with our roster makeup. Simple math. You can afford to miss and have early defections when you have 13 scholarships. When you have 10 or 11 the misses and early defections hurt. That's the intent of "crippling" sanctions.

Trust the Process

Great video on Thorpe. I hope Cuse locks him up, even over Ayala. Averaged 15ppg last year and shot 38% from 3. He definitely would be a welcome addition and could be a very important piece after Battle and TT. Kid seems to have his head on straight and sounds like a leader. Might even rub off on Frank and help him become a better player.

I didnt have time to watch it again now, but wasnt that the one where he said he liked USF due to the nice weather/no snowstorms/easy to walk to class? ;) He does seem like a great kid, if he can get over his fetish of disliking miserable weather.

Bullcrap. Sanctions have everything to do with our roster makeup. Simple math. You can afford to miss and have early defections when you have 13 scholarships. When you have 10 or 11 the misses and early defections hurt. That's the intent of "crippling" sanctions.

Trust the Process

It amazes me how some folks think the sanctions and JB forced to retire haven't hurt our recruiting. "Recruiting has been off since 2014!". Gee wonder why

Hope we get this kid. Let him battle with Frank/Washington to see who gets the most minutes there. Having Rod Strickland coaching him must have helped. He did play PG in H.S. Already finishes way better than Howard can and can change speeds better.

Last edited:
Hope we get this kid. Let him battle with Frank/Howard to see who gets the most minutes there. Having Rod Strickland coaching him must have helped. He did play PG in H.S. Already finishes way better than Howard can and can change speeds better.

I really like bringing in Thorpe. He can play either guard spot, gives us another 3pt shooter and can start at the point if that is what we need. I agree get him in, let Thorpe and the Howard's compete for the PG spot and the 4 minutes a game that Battle sits.

I really like bringing in Thorpe. He can play either guard spot, gives us another 3pt shooter and can start at the point if that is what we need. I agree get him in, let Thorpe and the Howard's compete for the PG spot and the 4 minutes a game that Battle sits.

Right, not to mention the shooting plus. It's a win bringing him in as another guard, regardless of exact position.

I don't see him coming here to compete for the starting PG role, I only see him coming if it's already his.

In a perfect world, we would bring in Thorpe first, Howard would get mad and transfer, and then Ayala would commit. (Obviously that's not how the staff is approaching this.)

I don't see him coming here to compete for the starting PG role, I only see him coming if it's already his.

In a perfect world, we would bring in Thorpe first, Howard would get mad and transfer, and then Ayala would commit. (Obviously that's not how the staff is approaching this.)

I call it competition but I agree. He comes it's Battle Thorpe starting with the Howard's competing for the remaining 10-12 minutes.

How is that a perfect world? We swap one guy, that is a potential 4 year player, for a one year grad transfer and an unproven recruit that doesn't think he's ready for college.

I'd rather see if Frank can progress and be successful here than keep this cycle of forcing players to transfer that don't look like super stars in their first two years. Obviously there's a little baggage but I'd prefer Frank next year to Ayala.

How do you know that's not the way they're approaching it?

Maybe it is my crazy conspiracy theory, but I think this is not going to be true. I think JB will not bring in a 5th year guy that comes with stipulations like that. So my theory is that the very strange and slow development of this recruitment is due to that. We are basically in a position where we seem to be telling the kid, we're Syracuse - take it or leave it. We'd love for you to come but we're not going to disrupt our locker room by promising anything. And it appears that approach (if it is really what is happening) is working because the kid is down to Pitt (which is the basic equivalent of choosing to vacation in Afghanistan) and Syracuse. If he comes, it will not be with demands.

Maybe it is my crazy conspiracy theory, but I think this is not going to be true. I think JB will not bring in a 5th year guy that comes with stipulations like that. So my theory is that the very strange and slow development of this recruitment is due to that. We are basically in a position where we seem to be telling the kid, we're Syracuse - take it or leave it. We'd love for you to come but we're not going to disrupt our locker room by promising anything. And it appears that approach (if it is really what is happening) is working because the kid is down to Pitt (which is the basic equivalent of choosing to vacation in Afghanistan) and Syracuse. If he comes, it will not be with demands.

The answer is simpler than that. Some of the staff wants Thorpe someone else would seemingly prefer to wait for Ayala. Thorpe is uncommitted to Pitt because of SU at this point.

The answer is simpler than that. Some of the staff wants Thorpe someone else would seemingly prefer to wait for Ayala. Thorpe is uncommitted to Pitt because of SU at this point.
I completely get what you are saying, but how long do we wait? Don't want to lose both.

How is that a perfect world? We swap one guy, that is a potential 4 year player, for a one year grad transfer and an unproven recruit that doesn't think he's ready for college.

I'd rather see if Frank can progress and be successful here than keep this cycle of forcing players to transfer that don't look like super stars in their first two years. Obviously there's a little baggage but I'd prefer Frank next year to Ayala.
I'm all for giving Frank a chance to redeem himself. Given his history, I think there could be issues if he's asked to come off the bench this year. While I want him to succeed both on and off the court, I think there's just as good of a chance that he won't.

I'm thinking about a .500 record. Could be a very nice lineup in a year or two but it's going to be a long 17/18.
On a tangent--has the information on the Slovak gleaned over the past 24 hours changed your opinion of his abilities?

Sanctions have nothing to do with the recruiting failures. The coaching transition chaos was orchestrated by JB for his short-term benefit. The only grounds for forgiveness are because god says we must do it.
lol look at one poster that liked this turd of a post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom