Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Now that Thorpe signed the proof will be in the pudding at first practices You have Battle,Thorpe,Howard, Washington and Hughes going against one another. Should be very competitive practices. I'm actually going with our guard situation with these options

This picture makes me much more excited about landing him. Granted, he's not repping a great metal band, but at least Metallica is decent. We're going to have to introduce him to Gojira. #metal

I think we need to introduce him to While She Sleeps

That is really good news, and hopefully it winds up being accurate. I expect Thompson to start and play a majority of his minutes at the 5. That said I expect him to be more engaged on defense and he is already foul prone. We need a reliable guy who can play 20+ minutes off the bench there if needed. Plus Sidibe from what I have seen will defend the rim and that adds another dimension at the 5 for us.

Again, I do take some of what he said with a grain of salt but Sidibe does have an old man's game in some respects. Kind of like a Rick Jackson. He's like BMK but more skilled plus shot blocking. He's cerebral, so I don't expect him to play like a freshman. It's the physical play in some of our games that might give him some issues.

This is great news! I'm optimistic about this team and the size everywhere even if Chukwu is riding mostly pine (what I expect).

Now let's get this PG competition started and let the best man win (please Geno!). LGO.

Again, I do take some of what he said with a grain of salt but Sidibe does have an old man's game in some respects. Kind of like a Rick Jackson. He's like BMK but more skilled plus shot blocking. He's cerebral, so I don't expect him to play like a freshman. It's the physical play in some of our games that might give him some issues.
I agree with most of this but I remember BMK being a very stingy shot blocker in HS and played for Oak Hill. Still, no slouch in competition for St. Benedict's. Either way, Baye blocked a bunch of shots and split time with people over the years.

Great news! Somehow I didn't see this until just now.

I am now officially hopeful for next year. (Alert the authorities!) What is not known is chemistry. JB is as good as anyone at getting the most out of his team, but last year was a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Hopefully these guys will gel early and we can avoid a slow start.

I agree with most of this but I remember BMK being a very stingy shot blocker in HS and played for Oak Hill. Still, no slouch in competition for St. Benedict's. Either way, Baye blocked a bunch of shots and split time with people over the years.

Baye was a decent shot blocker in high school, you're right, tee, but Sidibe averaged nearly 3 blocks a game (I have the stats somewhere, I'll look that up). I doubt Baye's numbers were close to that.

Baye was a decent shot blocker in high school, you're right, tee, but Sidibe averaged nearly 3 blocks a game (I have the stats somewhere, I'll look that up). I doubt Baye's numbers were close to that.

Maybe I'm wrong but was Baye ever a starter at Oak Hill? For some reason I recall him playing sparingly down there. Sidibe is another story with him logging lots of minutes and competing regularly against some top guys. Again, I'm probably wrong re: Keita.

Maybe I'm wrong but was Baye ever a starter at Oak Hill? For some reason I recall him playing sparingly down there. Sidibe is another story with him logging lots of minutes and competing regularly against some top guys. Again, I'm probably wrong re: Keita.

No, you're not wrong. BMK was a bench player. He'd occasionally get decent minutes but he was like their 7th man, if memory serves. Their team was stacked.

just a single frame from what will be a long running movie, but scoreboard since Mike took UW's call:

old & out of touch, +4 recruits
young & hungry, -3 recruits

Hey Moqui--IM me at your convenience.

Sidibe may be the sleeper of the class. If he can come in, and play D even close to BMK, then he will get minutes early. I see something like 10 MPG with TT taking the other 30. PC just seems like the odd man out.

BMK is one of the best centers to play the zone D we've ever had. BTW, not saying anyone doesn't recognize this. Craig Forth like. He was able to be the play caller, like Craig.

Bourama has more offense, so he could add his name to the list. This class is exciting. I think we will look back, and be thankful we missed on a couple so called big names.

Sid will end up being a great player. He is a major talent.

I guess i just noticed but why are we moving recruiting threads to the main hoops board after they commit? Couldn't find a few and got confused. Is this something new??

Is this thespian for football as well? I will have to be re trained now like an old dog.

I guess i just noticed but why are we moving recruiting threads to the main hoops board after they commit? Couldn't find a few and got confused. Is this something new??

Is this thespian for football as well? I will have to be re trained now like an old dog.
Yeah, weird. I usually only visit the recruiting side, so easy to miss for me.

just a single frame from what will be a long running movie, but scoreboard since Mike took UW's call:

old & out of touch, +4 recruits
young & hungry, -3 recruits
JB Red Griff 4 Hop Gmac 0.
To be fair the dysfunctional situation caused by JB not wanting to leave is what messed up Hop. As to Gmac i think the last month or so shows that the old man has changed things up.

Just started last month. Threw me for a loop when I first noticed.

I know high school coaches say stuff, especially about their own players. However, Sidibe's high school coach, Mark Taylor, told me in no uncertain terms that Bourama is going to play big minutes as a freshman at SU. He didn't imply the coaches guarantee big minutes but that they see him playing a big role. Take that for what it's worth. He said it it very definitively. He also told me that St. Benedict's are ready to play right away and indeed, that has been the track record for their players in division 1 programs. Nobody expected Tyler Ennis to do what he did as a freshman. I'm not saying that will be Sidibe too but the Gray Bees do come to to college ready to go.
Wouldn't surprise me if Sidibe backs up Thompson at the 5 and Chukwu rides the pine.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sidibe backs up Thompson at the 5 and Chukwu rides the pine.

And I've heard from a reliable source that he is not taking part in summer sessions as a big middle finger to JB, can't stand JB or the zone, would have transferred but didn't want to sit out a year, and will be gone after this year no matter what (much like Lydon). Which leads to my biggest worry, not that there isn't enough talent on the roster, but that JB is struggling to maintain some institutional control and that chemistry will again be this team's downfall. Regardless, we can only hope everything comes together and we can breathe easy again on selection Sunday.

This stuff about Thompson really needs more attention. This isn't minor stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom