Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Dont sleep on Chubaka. I cant imagine trying to play basketball with the sight issues he had. I think that he ends up being an significant contributor for us.

I'm sleeping. He didn't have his sight issues in our first bunch of games. He looked completely uncoordinated and he exhibited no basketball instincts whatsoever. Maybe his vision impacted that when it became an issue. I really hope he's better than I expect but I'd be shocked. My thing is that we could get his shot blocking from Sidibe.

Jamal Murray was pretty damn good, by far the best player on the USF team, but the team is garbage outside of Murray and Thorpe.

It just doesn't tickle me the way it does others to get the second best player of a 7 win AAC team who failed at Penn State.

Gillon gets a lot of hate around here but I don't think this guy does any better than Gillon.

And Andrew White "failed" at Kansas. Doesn't mean squat.

I'm sleeping. He didn't have his sight issues in our first bunch of games. He looked completely uncoordinated and he exhibited no basketball instincts whatsoever. Maybe his vision impacted that when it became an issue. I really hope he's better than I expect but I'd be shocked. My thing is that we could get his shot blocking from Sidibe.
Actually i believe he did. The basketball too the face brought it to a head. I get it he is a project but 72 with a wing span like a condor sure helps the press and allows us to push the zone out. Hope he can contribute

Actually i believe he did. The basketball too the face brought it to a head. I get it he is a project but 72 with a wing span like a condor sure helps the press and allows us to push the zone out. Hope he can contribute

Hope so too but he exhibited zero body control or concept of positioning. He was abysmal in the press. I'd love him to succeed.

To paraphrase Enzo Amore, he's more than seven foot tall and you... can't... teach... that.

Hope so too but he exhibited zero body control or concept of positioning. He was abysmal in the press. I'd love him to succeed.

To paraphrase Enzo Amore, he's more than seven foot tall and you... can't... teach... that.

Unfortunately, I think you are dead on with this take on PC. His sense of positioning and timing were limited, body control was awkward, he was lost at the back of the press, and of those times in the 2-3 when he was in good position, he was moved off the spot way too easily.

I saw scouting tape of PC scrimmaging (with Kaleb Joseph!) coming out of HS, and he had all those same limitations. He is physically stronger now, but the point remains.

This stuff about Thompson really needs more attention. This isn't minor stuff.
Somewhat agree with this.
Through the years plenty of players; (See, Seikaly-SU 80's), have had major issues w/ JB, and still had great success.
I'm more wary of TT in this situation because-
(a) He seemed very immature w/ "helicopter Mom" syndrome.
(b) A different, dare I say "more entitled" generation...IMHO.
And (c) He's a MAJOR cog in the success of this year's team.
Hope he's professional enough to stay focused and have a great season.

Last edited:

It didn't happen until like game 5. He looked out of place against the mid majors before he got hurt and he's 7'2" and still passes out to the 3 point line when he had a wide open dunk against Wisconsin.

It didn't happen until like game 5. He looked out of place against the mid majors before he got hurt and he's 7'2" and still passes out to the 3 point line when he had a wide open dunk against Wisconsin.

Wow, that play was really telling. I almost threw my remote at my tv. He's so afraid of contact. He'd be somewhat effective on both ends if he had any idea how to just make use of his height. He should doing leg presses from now until October as well. Maybe Moyer can teach him how to dunk with attitude.

Somewhat agree with this.
Through the years plenty of players; (See, Seikaly-SU 80's), have had major issues w/ JB, and still had great success.
I'm more wary of TT in this situation because-
(a) He seemed very immature w/ "helicopter Mom" syndrome.
(b) A different, dare I say "more entitled" generation...IMHO.
And (c) He's a MAJOR cog in the success of this year's team.
Hope he's professional enough to stay focused and have a great season.

Skipping the early session will hurt him and the team regardless of his attitude. Very disappointing if he's trying to send a message.

Unfortunately, I think you are dead on with this take on PC. His sense of positioning and timing were limited, body control was awkward, he was lost at the back of the press, and of those times in the 2-3 when he was in good position, he was moved off the spot way too easily.

I saw scouting tape of PC scrimmaging (with Kaleb Joseph!) coming out of HS, and he had all those same limitations. He is physically stronger now, but the point remains.
Not saying you're wrong on PC. But, let's be fair also. He practiced for a year, then played 7 games. Seven. To me, most of his limitations were mental ... understanding the zone, the defensive rotations, confidence, timing, PT... etc. I don't need to trot out Baye's freshman stats (see below). Let's give Paschal a chance to see what he can do playing a full season, with functional eyesight.

http://cuse.com/documents/2011/4/11/FINAL.pdf?id=5145

Not having seen much of USF with my own eyes I decided to check out what kind of recruit Thorpe was considered out of high school. Of course rankings aren't always right, but that plus what teams were offering him can be a little hint into his talent level. 3 star... offered by, among others, Pitt (when they were still Pitt) and Wisconsin. The kind of guy that you'd expect to be a good contributer by his senior season.
Geno Thorpe, Shaler Area, Point Guard

Last edited:
Not saying you're wrong on PC. But, let's be fair also. He practiced for a year, then played 7 games. Seven. To me, most of his limitations were mental ... understanding the zone, the defensive rotations, confidence, timing, PT... etc. I don't need to trot out Baye's freshman stats (see below). Let's give Paschal a chance to see what he can do playing a full season, with functional eyesight.

http://cuse.com/documents/2011/4/11/FINAL.pdf?id=5145

Very fair but what about his physical limitations (outside of the eye issues) after a year in the program? He was not close to being physically ready. Now he's been limited this off-season, so I doubt he made any strides. I really hope he did but I'm justifiably sceptical.

Not having seen much of USF with my own eyes I decided to check out what kind of recruit Thorpe was considered out of high school. Of course rankings aren't always right, but that plus what teams were offering him can be a little hint into his talent level. 3 star... offered by, among others, Pitt (when they were still Pitt) and Wisconsin. The kind of guy that you'd expect to be a good contributer by his senior season.
Geno Thorpe, Shaler Area, Point Guard

Something I noticed while watching some of his high school highlights was that he was aggressive on defense and seemed to have a knack for stealing the ball. Think he's going to fit in our zone just fine!

Well, it's officially time to celebrate a job well done by the staff in dealing in an extremely successful fashion, re-stocking what looked like a seriously depleted roster for the upcoming season. Kudos to the entire staff for putting together what I would expect to be a squad that will not only complete... but will surprise a lot of people.

There is much to be excited about as we watch the next season unfold. I can't WAIT!!!! Orange amulet is glowing brightly right now!

LGO!

Well lets hope he can give a solid contribution this year.

Daaaaaayum. Him, and Tyus attacking the basket, and getting out to run is gonna be fun. Maybe we can get back to the old days. Marek could be that forward that can rebound, and run. Not have to find a guard. Hell, maybe Geno can complete the alley oop pass. If not, don't wanna see any more over the backboard.

Daaaaaayum. Him, and Tyus attacking the basket, and getting out to run is gonna be fun. Maybe we can get back to the old days. Marek could be that forward that can rebound, and run. Not have to find a guard. Hell, maybe Geno can complete the alley oop pass. If not, don't wanna see any more over the backboard.

Howard Washington is good at throwing lobs.

Howard Washington is good at throwing lobs.

Gonna be fun when he's ready. A cerebral pure PG, who can facilitate, and shoot. I won't say who he reminds me of, as it's too early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom