George Karl Blasts Carmelo | Syracusefan.com

George Karl Blasts Carmelo

What players did George Karl ever like? There's a reason he's not coaching.

Such a clown. From Gary Payton to Ray Allen to Melo to Cousins, I think this guy has had public battles that he started with his best player at every single coaching stop.

Wow, I don't think I disagree with one thing he said. Carmelo seems to have matured as he has gotten older but George Karl is just being honest. I wouldn't have wanted to coach those 3 guys

I've also always thought that Melo could be an above-average, if not elite, defender in the league, given his skill-set and talent. Karl appears to feel the same way.

On one hand, it's the coach's job to bring out that effort on D. But with an NBA superstar, there's only so much you can do.

The last line of the quote sums up this Syracuse team perfectly.

"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to an advance copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.

"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy."

Meh--who cares? I don't think any of that stuff is that controversial. Karl is a defensive oriented coach, he didn't like Carmelo's effort. BFD. He rips on him for not being a leader, when failing to account for Carmelo having come into the league after his freshman year of college--gee, no wonder he wasn't behaving like a grizzled veteran. And besides, Carmelo has matured and developed into an "elder" statesman for the league. Does it really matter that he didn't have the same leadership aptitude back in 2004?

The UNC alum who publicly begged for the job and who wasn't given the time of day by those who had known him the longest? That George Karl?
If you are not wanted back where you grew up, that tells me all I need to know.

And that's probably 80% of why Melo doesn't have a ring. He had clear cut opportunities in his first 5-8 years.

Karl is a good coach. It seems like he has as much of an ego issue as the players he's calling out, which is obviously hypocritical, but his points about young Melo aren't completely off base. It's interesting, though, that he deflects all of the blame for Melo's lack of defense and leadership to Melo, Melo's lack of a father figure, and the AAU attitude. At least half of that is on the coach. When you're coaching a 19 year old who's been a star his whole basketball life, it's on you to guide him. It sounds like Karl expected him to be a leader on both ends of the court right off the bat simply because he was talented. That would be an incredibly rare find. LeBron didn't become a leader until he spent a couple years in Miami. His early Cavs teams were good because he was/is ridiculously talented. Melo has become a leader on the Knicks and has played some of the best defense of his career over the past few seasons.

Jim Boeheim didn't seem to have a problem getting Melo to play well on both ends of the court...

They were never getting out of the West. That Lakers -Kings series, when the league had the refs steal the series for Kobe, shows you that. Denver was not good TV.

Really thought they had a shot in 2012/2013. Melo looked absolutely dominant in the first series with my Celtics, really laid an egg in the series against Indiana because they matched up fairly well vs Miami.

And that's probably 80% of why Melo doesn't have a ring. He had clear cut opportunities in his first 5-8 years.

LOL, no he didn't. Maybe if Denver was in the East they could've been a finals team. They never had the talent of the teams winning the West...mostly the Spurs and Lakers. Great organizations win.

Really thought they had a shot in 2012/2013. Melo looked absolutely dominant in the first series with my Celtics, really laid an egg in the series against Indiana because they matched up fairly well vs Miami.

Indiana had a better team, and Miami was going to the finals no matter what.

Wow, I don't think I disagree with one thing he said. Carmelo seems to have matured as he has gotten older but George Karl is just being honest. I wouldn't have wanted to coach those 3 guys

"Honest" for what purpose? To give a reason for why he never won squat as a coach?

Seattle should've been a 90's Western Conference dynasty.

Also, he knows that bashing Melo right now is the only way to get any attention on his book.

Last edited:
Classless. Sounds to me that it's a confession that the most talented stars he coached didn't like him. Pretty hypocritical saying Melo is a user who craved the spotlight while he writes a book using Melo to sell it and grab the spotlight. Wonder if he knows what irony means?

Classless. Sounds to me that the most talented stars he coached didn't like him. Pretty hypocritical saying Melo is a user who craved the spotlight while he writes a book using Melo to sell it and grab the spotlight. Wonder if he knows what irony means?

Melo loves the spotlight, but in order to throw him under the bus and tell them about it, I am going to grab that spotlight.

The "no father" comments are pretty deplorable. Kenyon Martin fired back hard.."I didn't have a father. We all know that. What's Karl's excuse for being a terrible person?"

Also shut down his comments on Melo's D by saying Karl never coached defense anyway. Called him the worst coach he ever played for and said that everyone who played for him can't stand the ground he walked on. Well said, K-Mart. Well said.

JR Smith made note of Karl "still trying to be relevant. Sad. Just sad."

The "no father" comments are pretty deplorable. Kenyon Martin fired back hard.."I didn't have a father. We all know that. What's Karl's excuse for being a terrible person?"

Also shut down his comments on Melo's D by saying Karl never coached defense anyway. Called him the worst coach he ever played for and said that everyone who played for him can't stand the ground he walked on. Well said, K-Mart. Well said.

JR Smith made note of Karl "still trying to be relevant. Sad. Just sad."
It's a pretty shitty thing when you can make Kenyon and JR out to be sympathetic. Funny part about Karl is he's universally the most despised coach amongst COACHES!