Georgetown Game Preview (5/15/21, 7:30pm) | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Game Preview (5/15/21, 7:30pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
The Syracuse Orange face-off against the Georgetown Hoyas in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Orange may have drawn a favorable matchup, but by no means an easy one. Georgetown has a strong offense, an at times suffocating defense and are strong in the specialty departments. That said, they aren't perfect, and, given other matchups it is certainly a game this talented, but flawed SU team could win. Let's get to it.

The Hoyas have one of the best offensive players in the country in Jake Carraway. He leads the team in points with 62 and goals with 46. He is joined on attack by a great passing freshman in TJ Haley (5 goals and an absurd 47 assists) and Dylan Watson who has 19 and 5 but has only played 7 of Georgetown's 14 games this year. They also have a strong midfield led by Graham Bundy Jr, third on the team with 34,12, Colgate transfer Nicky Petkevich who has 17, 20 and Declan McDermott with 18 and 9. They are supplemented by freshman Dylan Hess who scored the winning goal against Denver in the Big East Tournament with 13 and seven. That gives Georgetown seven players with at least 20 points. They aren't deep past that, but that matches up well with Syracuse, now that Chase Scanlan is off the team. I imagine Mitch Wykoff will draw the Carraway matchup, but the Haley matchup is the real x-factor. I'd like to see Grant Murphy on the frosh, given that I think his on-ball skills are pretty good, and it would hopefully take him out of the sliding game as I think Murphy is not very good in that department. Size wise they matchup well as Haley is 6'2. That leaves Cole Horan on the Canadian Watson.

Have to hope that Brendan Aviles comes back as the short sticks have really struggled recently. I don't know how likely that is unfortunately given that he's been out for a while. Just have to hope for the best here, but Brett Kennedy really needs to have a good game, both on-ball and in between the lines. He's been a bright spot for the defense and he'll need to keep it up. It was good to see Dami back for the Robert Morris game, have to wonder how much run he and Dearth will be given. I've talked endlessly about how bad the defense has been recently and it's hard to see how they turn it around for this game. Porter will simply have to make a lot of saves and they cannot allow Georgetown to go on a long scoring run. I don't know how much zone we will see but I don't think it would be a good match against the Hoyas as they seem like a good passing team.

One weak spot for the Georgetown offense is they have been turnover prone these last few games, 15 against Denver, 20 against Villanova and 18 in a loss to Loyola. Cuse will have to find the right balance of pressuring the Hoyas and also playing solid defense. Possessions might be hard to come by as the Hoyas are led by James Reilly and his 59% win percentage. In his last three games he's gone 8-23, 17-29 and 12-24. Jakob Phaup has been all over the place this year so its hard to know what to expect. Desko really has stuck with the Junior recently, so if he does struggle it will be interesting to see how quickly he goes to Danny Varello. Syracuse of course has to be decent here as I don't think our defense can withstand the Hoyas offense over multiple possessions.

Georgetown's defense started the year like gangbusters this year, giving up an unbelievable two goals in two games, one of those games against Villanova, a tournament bubble team. Since then they've come down to earth, but still have some very good players led by Gibson Smith and goalie Owen McElory. The goalie is especially impressive and seems to be playing well recently. He has a 60% save percentage and only gives up 8 goals a game. It looks like the last "bad" game he had was all the way back on March 20th when he gave up 9 goals and only made 5 saves against Providence (G-town still won 14-9). The next time he played the Friars he made 24 saves and only gave up only 4 goals. Yikes. The Hoyas do look like a very slide heavy team, which I think favors the Orange as they are best when moving the ball and trying to find the open man. I think SU really struggles when teams don't slide and forces the team to be more individualistic. The Orange of course will have to be methodical and can't turn the ball over carelessly, and they need to take good shots. Hopefully we see a heavy dose of Owen Hiltz and his sublime shooting.

On paper Georgetown looks like a very strong team - but like most teams this year they are hard to judge since they played a conference heavy schedule. Yes they do have two wins against a strong Denver team, but those Pioneers have their own issues. And the one time they played a tough out of conference opponent (Loyola), they lost. Syracuse will be a big test for the Hoyas and if the Orange can get some early confidence then I think they have a real shot at winning this game. Face-offs are a real worry though and the defense needs to have a real turnaround. Syracuse has the talent but they need to put it all together and have a complete team performance to advance.

Having watched the Denver game Sat. I would add two things. Gtown struggled to clear the ball several times against the Denver ride and also seemed to have a problem with turnovers.

I'm not sure how much confidence I have going into this game simply because Syracuse is an extremely inconsistent team this season. A couple thoughts I have going in are:
1: Are we going to see the good or bad Phaup?
2: Can Porter get some confidence back? I've been a defender of his due to his defense but he needs to get back to 2019/2020 Drake.
3: What's the game plan on the defensive end? I really hope it's not a zone because as other's have mentioned the Hoyas are a good passing team and will probably eat that up.
4: What's the mindset of the team in general? They were ready to roll against UVA but that's been about it the past month, is there a lingering effect to the Scanlan situation?

The Syracuse Orange face-off against the Georgetown Hoyas in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Orange may have drawn a favorable matchup, but by no means an easy one. Georgetown has a strong offense, an at times suffocating defense and are strong in the specialty departments. That said, they aren't perfect, and, given other matchups it is certainly a game this talented, but flawed SU team could win. Let's get to it.

The Hoyas have one of the best offensive players in the country in Jake Carraway. He leads the team in points with 62 and goals with 46. He is joined on attack by a great passing freshman in TJ Haley (5 goals and an absurd 47 assists) and Dylan Watson who has 19 and 5 but has only played 7 of Georgetown's 14 games this year. They also have a strong midfield led by Graham Bundy Jr, third on the team with 34,12, Colgate transfer Nicky Petkevich who has 17, 20 and Declan McDermott with 18 and 9. They are supplemented by freshman Dylan Hess who scored the winning goal against Denver in the Big East Tournament with 13 and seven. That gives Georgetown seven players with at least 20 points. They aren't deep past that, but that matches up well with Syracuse, now that Chase Scanlan is off the team. I imagine Mitch Wykoff will draw the Carraway matchup, but the Haley matchup is the real x-factor. I'd like to see Grant Murphy on the frosh, given that I think his on-ball skills are pretty good, and it would hopefully take him out of the sliding game as I think Murphy is not very good in that department. Size wise they matchup well as Haley is 6'2. That leaves Cole Horan on the Canadian Watson.

Have to hope that Brendan Aviles comes back as the short sticks have really struggled recently. I don't know how likely that is unfortunately given that he's been out for a while. Just have to hope for the best here, but Brett Kennedy really needs to have a good game, both on-ball and in between the lines. He's been a bright spot for the defense and he'll need to keep it up. It was good to see Dami back for the Robert Morris game, have to wonder how much run he and Dearth will be given. I've talked endlessly about how bad the defense has been recently and it's hard to see how they turn it around for this game. Porter will simply have to make a lot of saves and they cannot allow Georgetown to go on a long scoring run. I don't know how much zone we will see but I don't think it would be a good match against the Hoyas as they seem like a good passing team.

One weak spot for the Georgetown offense is they have been turnover prone these last few games, 15 against Denver, 20 against Villanova and 18 in a loss to Loyola. Cuse will have to find the right balance of pressuring the Hoyas and also playing solid defense. Possessions might be hard to come by as the Hoyas are led by James Reilly and his 59% win percentage. In his last three games he's gone 8-23, 17-29 and 12-24. Jakob Phaup has been all over the place this year so its hard to know what to expect. Desko really has stuck with the Junior recently, so if he does struggle it will be interesting to see how quickly he goes to Danny Varello. Syracuse of course has to be decent here as I don't think our defense can withstand the Hoyas offense over multiple possessions.

Georgetown's defense started the year like gangbusters this year, giving up an unbelievable two goals in two games, one of those games against Villanova, a tournament bubble team. Since then they've come down to earth, but still have some very good players led by Gibson Smith and goalie Owen McElory. The goalie is especially impressive and seems to be playing well recently. He has a 60% save percentage and only gives up 8 goals a game. It looks like the last "bad" game he had was all the way back on March 20th when he gave up 9 goals and only made 5 saves against Providence (G-town still won 14-9). The next time he played the Friars he made 24 saves and only gave up only 4 goals. Yikes. The Hoyas do look like a very slide heavy team, which I think favors the Orange as they are best when moving the ball and trying to find the open man. I think SU really struggles when teams don't slide and forces the team to be more individualistic. The Orange of course will have to be methodical and can't turn the ball over carelessly, and they need to take good shots. Hopefully we see a heavy dose of Owen Hiltz and his sublime shooting.

On paper Georgetown looks like a very strong team - but like most teams this year they are hard to judge since they played a conference heavy schedule. Yes they do have two wins against a strong Denver team, but those Pioneers have their own issues. And the one time they played a tough out of conference opponent (Loyola), they lost. Syracuse will be a big test for the Hoyas and if the Orange can get some early confidence then I think they have a real shot at winning this game. Face-offs are a real worry though and the defense needs to have a real turnaround. Syracuse has the talent but they need to put it all together and have a complete team performance to advance.
Just watched the RM game. Defense was not just bad, it was awful. It looked like a mosh pit at least half the RM possessions. First, on almost every RM six man offensive possession, all of the SU defenders looked lost and confused. They seemed to look at each other for instruction. Ran into each other like second graders. Porter looked disillusioned and half a second slow. Dearth was useless half the time. Slow to slide, easily beaten by average middies. Wycoff was obviously not strong enough to handle Smith. Second, when the offensive SU middies had to get back on defense, they disappeared from view several times while RM scored easily in unsettled situations. Third, a good ride can compensate for poor defense sometimes. The SU offense was out to lunch when they turned the ball over.

My first reaction when learning SU would make the big dance was embarrassment. Army should have been in their spot. The Army game was the best indicator of the season to come. It was over at that point for me. And I think the team disintegrated from that point, 7wins or not. Now, for Georgetown, whom I have seen in several games. They are a tough, extremely well coached team that plays fundamentally well through adversity and success. From goalie through FOGO and on to offense they are solid. In every category. Defense is well constructed and capable. Goaltender is above average. FOGO too. No real offensive stars but the first six are all dangerous.

Georgetown could win by 7 or 8... or lose by a couple depending on SU's useless defense. G does not have the players UVA does but their defense does not deteriorate over time as does UVA's. I think Warne would be very high on any list of desirable head coaches. He can recruit well, but most importantly, he can motivate and teach exceptionally well.

Just a side note. I have had trouble from the start of this so-called season remaining engaged and excited. The truncated list of teams minus most of the ivies left a major hole in the lacrosse landscape. As I have ranted before, I believe universities should have closed for the past school year to start again in the fall of 2021. But, I can't help it, I will root hard for the orange pits.

I'm optimistic that the team will play well this Saturday. It's primetime against a team that's very solid and isn't UNC or ND. Cuse hasn't played Georgetwon in years - and the players can really view it as a a fresh start. I would also like Mr Spock to perform the Vulcan mind meld on each player this week and erase this season's bad memories!

Almost forgot about m Petevich formerly of Colagte . had a nice year with 17-20-37. That's 82 goals and 48 assists from their first four mids. Other than Carraway Gtown is mid centric. see Haley has taken only 16 shots this season. Play him to pass.

Almost forgot about m Petevich formerly of Colagte . had a nice year with 17-20-37. That's 82 goals and 48 assists from their first four mids. Other than Carraway Gtown is mid centric. see Haley has taken only 16 shots this season. Play him to pass.

SU Shoukd put Wyckoff on Haley and Murphy on Carraway. Put Dearth on the 3rrld attack spot and then double poll the midfield.

Good idea though I might change the name of ss and keep Dearth up, maybe Olexo given his experience at close. Help if Aviles were back, it is the playoffs. Not sure if Murphy quick enuff for Carraway though it anchor him , rather have Wycoff making decisions to help.

Good idea though I might change the name of ss and keep Dearth up, maybe Olexo given his experience at close. Help if Aviles were back, it is the playoffs. Not sure if Murphy quick enuff for Carraway though it anchor him , rather have Wycoff making decisions to help.

In a perfect world I am putting Kennedy on Carraway and telling everyone to be slow to slide, I will live and die with Kennedy one on one with just about anyone. With the depth at LSM being what it is, that does not appear to be a possibility. I agree about Murphy and speed but he seemed to do a better job on Smith once SU switched and I think drawing each opponents #1 has worn down Wyckoff. I would try and change it up a bit and throwa curveball at G-town and see if they can adjust. If we double pole I would probably put Olexo or Aviles as the cover on the 3rd attackmen. Getting Aviles back would be huge.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Aviles injury is? He's essentially been week to week now the past couple games so I'm guessing it isn't that serious.

Time of year where training room is busier and many on field are playing with bumps and bruises. One and done in the playoffs, helps to have all hands on deck unless playing jeopardizes greater injury. Thought Dami looked fresh last week and Rosa reps can only help

SU Shoukd put Wyckoff on Haley and Murphy on Carraway. Put Dearth on the 3rrld attack spot and then double poll the midfield.
Watched tape of Carraway. He's a fing handful, he'd run right by Murphy so forget that . Put Wyckoff on him and be prepared to slide to him when he dodges. Carraway is going to get his goals regardless of cover. 2nd att Haley is big frosh lefty, can shoot from twelve despite his low shot totals but his focus has been on distributing which he does quite well. Not as tall as Winauskaus but some similarities in style. Murphy better fit to cover and forces him to stay home . Watson is fine third att, lefty who finishes well. Reminds me of Jacob Kelly. Assume he is Horan assignment . Its a good attack unit headed by a stud and complemented by several sharpshooters up top. Think their O is very underrated while their d may be slightly overrated, its aggressive and coordinated on slides but can be beat by crisp play. McElroy has to bail them out at times. He's legit. Gonna need 50% on faceoffs and better than 55% from our tender. Take the over gents

Watched tape of Carraway. He's a fing handful, he'd run right by Murphy so forget that . Put Wyckoff on him and be prepared to slide to him when he dodges. Carraway is going to get his goals regardless of cover. 2nd att Haley is big frosh lefty, can shoot from twelve despite his low shot totals but his focus has been on distributing which he does quite well. Not as tall as Winauskaus but some similarities in style. Murphy better fit to cover and forces him to stay home . Watson is fine third att, lefty who finishes well. Reminds me of Jacob Kelly. Assume he is Horan assignment . Its a good attack unit headed by a stud and complemented by several sharpshooters up top. Think their O is very underrated while their d may be slightly overrated, its aggressive and coordinated on slides but can be beat by crisp play. McElroy has to bail them out at times. He's legit. Gonna need 50% on faceoffs and better than 55% from our tender. Take the over gents

I think something to watch also is one of their top ssdms, Zach Geddes, has a shoulder issue, and might be out this weekend. I think he was on the sidelines for the DU game in a sling.

I think something to watch also is one of their top ssdms, Zach Geddes, has a shoulder issue, and might be out this weekend. I think he was on the sidelines for the DU game in a sling.

Rumor is separated shoulder, if that's true he is almost certain to be out.

Having watched Denver/Georgetown games this season and the Denver/Nova tourney game, I don't think either the Pio's offense or the Nova offense was particularly impressive. Cuse may have more success than expected if the offense is sharp.

Rumor is separated shoulder, if that's true he is almost certain to be out.
That would be huge! I still have nightmares of our top two middies being shut down in 2016 and 2017 due to the stifling play of Isaiah Davis-Allen and Zach Goodrich. A lot could depend on how Trimboli and Dordevic perform against the short sticks. Fortunately with Seebold down at attack double poling the midfield seems too risky. I think some teams would consider shorting Scanlan and double poling the midfield if they lost their top SSDM. Seebold would draw plenty of slides if they put a short stick on him.

Win FO's. limit the turn overs and crisp passing. Denver made a lot of bad passes and unforced TO's to end possessions against Gtown last week.

That would be huge! I still have nightmares of our top two middies being shut down in 2016 and 2017 due to the stifling play of Isaiah Davis-Allen and Zach Goodrich. A lot could depend on how Trimboli and Dordevic perform against the short sticks. Fortunately with Seebold down at attack double poling the midfield seems too risky. I think some teams would consider shorting Scanlan and double poling the midfield if they lost their top SSDM. Seebold would draw plenty of slides if they put a short stick on him.

ROMO double polled the midfiled for a good chunk of the game and put the shorty on Hiltz, you saw how that worked out. Big mistake.

Random thought...I did not realize Dave Urick was so far removed from Georgetown Lacrosse. He retired in 2012? Shows how closely I know the Hoyas.

Random thought...I did not realize Dave Urick was so far removed from Georgetown Lacrosse. He retired in 2012? Shows how closely I know the Hoyas.

Yeah their current coach had a bit of a rough start there but he appears to have them going in the right direction. Would be cool if Syracuse could get them back on the schedule, at least every couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom