Georgetown Game Preview (5/15/21, 7:30pm) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Game Preview (5/15/21, 7:30pm)

Is Wykoff gonna be able to keep up with Carraway? Generally interested in knowing this as someone already watched tape and said that Carraway is fast and would blow by Murph, doesn’t seem wykoff is that much quicker?
Are there any other options? Other than moving Kennedy to Carraway and then screwing up the rest of the D?

I’d say that Carraway sits in the really F****** good category! He’ll be tough for anyone to guard.

Its also about whoever is playing off ball they have to play tight as he can hurt you in a number of ways, he can make that skip pass.

Its certainly a matchup with history and a hated team in other sports! There have been some great games over the years.

I am saying this in hope that it can happen but this could be a real catalyst for the team if we can win it, we all know we have the players. Let’s hope that they can put it all together in one game.

I’m Looking forward to it.

I’d say that Carraway sits in the really F****** good category! He’ll be tough for anyone to guard.

Its also about whoever is playing off ball they have to play tight as he can hurt you in a number of ways, he can make that skip pass.

Its certainly a matchup with history and a hated team in other sports! There have been some great games over the years.

I am saying this in hope that it can happen but this could be a real catalyst for the team if we can win it, we all know we have the players. Let’s hope that they can put it all together in one game.

I’m Looking forward to it.

Is Wykoff gonna be able to keep up with Carraway? Generally interested in knowing this as someone already watched tape and said that Carraway is fast and would blow by Murph, doesn’t seem wykoff is that much quicker?
Are there any other options? Other than moving Kennedy to Carraway and then screwing up the rest of the D?
Wyckoff is much faster than Murphy with much quicker feet . Besides that , shifting is case of robbing Peter to pay Paul as gtown has good mids such as Bundy , their unit scored 7 of 10 vs Denver Id ride as is at start , can always shift if warranted. Aviles return would help as would another good showing by Dami. Large key is always goalie play, Diff of 40% vs 60% on 25 sog is five goals. Porter had good 2h vs Romo, perhaps a good harbinger.

Wyckoff is much faster than Murphy with much quicker feet . Besides that , shifting is case of robbing Peter to pay Paul as gtown has good mids such as Bundy , their unit scored 7 of 10 vs Denver Id ride as is at start , can always shift if warranted. Aviles return would help as would another good showing by Dami. Large key is always goalie play, Diff of 40% vs 60% on 25 sog is five goals. Porter had good 2h vs Romo, perhaps a good harbinger.

Ya bumping Kennedy down would only be an option if Clary was healthy or Fernandez was still on the team. Kennedy is our best overall defender and I believe the best to matchup with Carraway but we don't have the depth at LSM to pull him. Wyckoff will need to have a monster game and we need Aviles back.

Gotta accept that defenders are not going to shutdown these studs but have to stop them from going off bigly (sorry I miss hearing that term lol) Matchups matter , Mellen had problems with certain types but Wycoff and Carraway are same size so let's see, Haley size and mobility better fit for Murphy who has Bomberry penchant for intercepting passes . Clary injury on top of Fernandez and Helmer departures definitely hurt defensive versatility at all three d spots including ssdm. Individual talents there, just need to execute as one.

I maintain that Wycoff has not gotten totally worked by anyone this year except sowers in the first half of the Duke game. He has been up against customers just as tough as caraway many times this season and the problem has never been his 1v1 play. I have confidence he will do an acceptable job.

Some good stuff in that interview. I thought his comment about the changes to the FO rules this year by the Rules Committee possibly increasing possession disparities and some of the lopsided scores, right on.

Gotta accept that defenders are not going to shutdown these studs but have to stop them from going off bigly (sorry I miss hearing that term lol) Matchups matter , Mellen had problems with certain types but Wycoff and Carraway are same size so let's see, Haley size and mobility better fit for Murphy who has Bomberry penchant for intercepting passes . Clary injury on top of Fernandez and Helmer departures definitely hurt defensive versatility at all three d spots including ssdm. Individual talents there, just need to execute as one.

I guess the silver lining is Wykoff did well with Matt Moore from UVA who is the bigger body type, like Carraway. His struggles mainly were with the quicker, smaller attackmen like Sowers, Gray and Kavanaugh.

Side note: it is super frustrating that Mellen did not come back this year, since he would have matched up perfectly with those three. Would have probably helped his PLL draft stock immensely as well. Instead he might not ever play a minute of pro lacrosse. I'm surpassed this isn't something we dont dwell on more lol.

I guess the silver lining is Wykoff did well with Matt Moore from UVA who is the bigger body type, like Carraway. His struggles mainly were with the quicker, smaller attackmen like Sowers, Gray and Kavanaugh.

Side note: it is super frustrating that Mellen did not come back this year, since he would have matched up perfectly with those three. Would have probably helped his PLL draft stock immensely as well. Instead he might not ever play a minute of pro lacrosse. I'm surpassed this isn't something we dont dwell on more lol.
meh, spilt milk

The thing with Mellen is he already had spent 5 years at SU when he missed his Soph season with that shoulder injury. He may not have wanted to spend a sixth season at SU be it a financial situation or job prospects or something else. What hurt SU was that we lost him, Fernandez and the back up LSM whose name I can never remember. One of those guys returns its a completely different D potentially.

The thing with Mellen is he already had spent 5 years at SU when he missed his Soph season with that shoulder injury. He may not have wanted to spend a sixth season at SU be it a financial situation or job prospects or something else. What hurt SU was that we lost him, Fernandez and the back up LSM whose name I can never remember. One of those guys returns its a completely different D potentially.
Helmer, Andrew ?

Just watched the RM game. Defense was not just bad, it was awful. It looked like a mosh pit at least half the RM possessions. First, on almost every RM six man offensive possession, all of the SU defenders looked lost and confused. They seemed to look at each other for instruction. Ran into each other like second graders. Porter looked disillusioned and half a second slow. Dearth was useless half the time. Slow to slide, easily beaten by average middies. Wycoff was obviously not strong enough to handle Smith. Second, when the offensive SU middies had to get back on defense, they disappeared from view several times while RM scored easily in unsettled situations. Third, a good ride can compensate for poor defense sometimes. The SU offense was out to lunch when they turned the ball over.

My first reaction when learning SU would make the big dance was embarrassment. Army should have been in their spot. The Army game was the best indicator of the season to come. It was over at that point for me. And I think the team disintegrated from that point, 7wins or not. Now, for Georgetown, whom I have seen in several games. They are a tough, extremely well coached team that plays fundamentally well through adversity and success. From goalie through FOGO and on to offense they are solid. In every category. Defense is well constructed and capable. Goaltender is above average. FOGO too. No real offensive stars but the first six are all dangerous.

Georgetown could win by 7 or 8... or lose by a couple depending on SU's useless defense. G does not have the players UVA does but their defense does not deteriorate over time as does UVA's. I think Warne would be very high on any list of desirable head coaches. He can recruit well, but most importantly, he can motivate and teach exceptionally well.

Just a side note. I have had trouble from the start of this so-called season remaining engaged and excited. The truncated list of teams minus most of the ivies left a major hole in the lacrosse landscape. As I have ranted before, I believe universities should have closed for the past school year to start again in the fall of 2021. But, I can't help it, I will root hard for the orange pits.
but how do you feel about the defense?

universities should have closed? what should they have done next, firing squad for one class of young men and women? where would everybody live?

I gotta ask wasn’t Drago supposed to be a highly regarded LSM? Has he been injured or just redshirted. He was one of the more interesting kids I was looking forward to.

I gotta ask wasn’t Drago supposed to be a highly regarded LSM? Has he been injured or just redshirted. He was one of the more interesting kids I was looking forward to.

Redshirting

Redshirting, I am assuming the missed senior year really hurt the young D guys. There are multiple young poles like Drago Lee and a few others I'm very high on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom