Georgia Tech Roll Call | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech Roll Call

Headmaster 9

2nd String
obie 9 and I arrived in gray cloudy Atlanta late this morning and thought we were in Syracuse until we say some buds on the trees and flowers in the ground...no sunglasses needed but no winter parka either so I guess we will take it.

Spent the afternoon on campus. Campus is nice, not the best we've seen but enjoyed the area. Had a great burger at a cool place called The Vortex...sign boasts Booze and Burgers and the deliver on both. Variety of starters, sandwiches and burgers- good service and prices... downside for us was they allow smoking at the bar IMG_1262.JPGand we left smelling like smoke. Even with that, I'd recommend it if you're looking for a place to go. If you make the trek pay close attention to the large statue of "Wood", pun intended,that greets you just past the host stand.

Checked into the hotel , relaxing and watching basketball while waiting for rest of our party and the team to arrive.

Tomorrow's a big game. LGO!

obie 9 and I arrived in gray cloudy Atlanta late this morning and thought we were in Syracuse until we say some buds on the trees and flowers in the ground...no sunglasses needed but no winter parka either so I guess we will take it.

Spent the afternoon on campus. Campus is nice, not the best we've seen but enjoyed the area. Had a great burger at a cool place called The Vortex...sign boasts Booze and Burgers and the deliver on both. Variety of starters, sandwiches and burgers- good service and prices... downside for us was they allow smoking at the bar View attachment 89896and we left smelling like smoke. Even with that, I'd recommend it if you're looking for a place to go. If you make the trek pay close attention to the large statue of "Wood", pun intended,that greets you just past the host stand.

Checked into the hotel , relaxing and watching basketball while waiting for rest of our party and the team to arrive.

I'll be there. Thought I'd be out of town so didn't hook up with the big group but plans backed travel up a day so I can do it. Sitting solo up top (which is funny way to phrase it since the place is so small).

Enjoy Atlanta! Vortex is definitely cool, though I don't go anywhere w smoke anymore so I appreciate your sentiment!

3 things in GTs neighborhood to check out if you're able:
-sublime donuts
-antico pizza
-6 feet under (comfortable food and drinks)

Went to Siracusa's for Pizza n Wings yesterday. Dave the owner does a great job. He even has a Bocce Court installed outside.

We are staying in Buckhead...We will probably just walk around a bit then head to the SU event at Hudson Grille...We have a group of 55 Orange fans...Minus a few GTech interlopers.

Jarhead Jim is our Sgt at Arms for our group.

In for this game. Staying in Alpharetta. Probably parking at 4:30 then walking around for a bit then heading to the arena!

Just meet another Cuse fan at the hotel. He had no idea about Syracusefan.com. Hopefully he'll sign up.

Old Irish from Avon Park, FL if you read this...sign up

BTW, forgot to add...if I ever move to ATL...I really liked the area around Smyrna/Vinings. Buckhead is really nice too...but pretty crowded.

Hope you guys enjoy my city! Everywhere around georgia tech is nice and safe to walk. Midtown and Buckhead is always cool to see.

A neat place to eat is called "The Sun Dial" it is at the top of the Westin hotel, and you take a glass elevator all the way to the top. When you sit down to eat, the booths slowly rotate and you get an amazing view of the whole city and are even able to see Stone Montain. If you dont want to wait to eat, you are allowed to just go up and walk around the observation deck. The food is alright and hard to get a table for obvious reasons.

If you want good southern food go to Mary Macs Tea Room or Daddy D'z BBQ...words cannot describe these places. This is one of the places we take recruits on their offical visits. Mary Macs is closer to GT and a nicer place with a bunch of celebs who eat there. Daddy D's is by Turner Field and for the people who want the real BBQ experience. It is in a shack with paper plates and plastic utinseils. If a place is like this...you know it's good. You will need a post meal nap from both places.

As someone mentioned before Sublime and Antico are winners. The vortex is also good but it is 21 and over and for good reason.

If you want something worth your money go to Cookout. They are taking over the South. For 4.99 you get a cookout tray and it is the best deal ever. You really just have to try it for yourself. I go there after every sporting event and the place is always poppin.

But if you go and check out the Georgia Dome/Phillips Arena/CNN Center area be careful. As long as you stay on the side where Cenntineal Olympic park is you will be fine. But if you walk on the other side of the dome you would be walking into the bluff...you don't want to end up in the bluff. You probably won't return out of the bluff. Stay out of the bluff. Lol

Hope it is a good game but...
Outkast- 62
Biggie- 60

Last edited:
Duh... don't know how I could forget...The Varsity. 10 feet away from campus, one of the trademarks of Atlanta. Everyone needs to go at least once. I get two naked dogs, fries, and an orange frosty. But chili cheese on things are also a go to.

If you have kids (or are a kid at heart), take them to the Marriott Marquis for a ride in the glass elevators, similar to the ones in NYC if you've been. No room key required. Go to the highest floor and walk down the hall in either direction for a free view of the city (not 360 though).

Spent the afternoon on campus. Campus is nice, not the best we've seen but enjoyed the area. Had a great burger at a cool place called The Vortex...sign boasts Booze and Burgers and the deliver on both. Variety of starters, sandwiches and burgers- good service and prices... downside for us was they allow smoking at the bar View attachment 89896and we left smelling like smoke. Even with that, I'd recommend it if you're looking for a place to go. If you make the trek pay close attention to the large statue of "Wood", pun intended,that greets you just past the host stand.

That is the midtown Vortex. The 1 that I used to frequent - but next time, hit the little 5 points location for the real experience.

Went to Siracusa's for Pizza n Wings yesterday. Dave the owner does a great job. He even has a Bocce Court installed outside.

We are staying in Buckhead...We will probably just walk around a bit then head to the SU event at Hudson Grille...We have a group of 55 Orange fans...Minus a few GTech interlopers.

Love Dave.

Duh... don't know how I could forget...The Varsity. 10 feet away from campus, one of the trademarks of Atlanta. Everyone needs to go at least once. I get two naked dogs, fries, and an orange frosty. But chili cheese on things are also a go to.

Just to warn everyone - the food is not good. Do not expect even the quality of a dome dog. Its only cool to go there because its famous.

On Peachtree about 1/2 mile east of the Arena
Found it. Thank you. We are sitting with some SU fans outside. Too nice to be indoors. :)

This thread forced me to hit Youtube because the "Oh Atlanta" lyrics are now stuck in my head:
"You can drop me off on Peachtree.
I got to feel that Georgia sun..."

Only thing good about tonight were the Cuse fans representing in the ATL. The announcers estimated it was almost 40% SU fans. Great job!

Only thing good about tonight were the Cuse fans representing in the ATL. The announcers estimated it was almost 40% SU fans. Great job!
I dunno about 40% but it was a ton. Man we travel fantastically. The gillon/White travels I coulda done without. I give credit to the Tech crowd there. They (sadly) got in our players heads.

I dunno about 40% but it was a ton. Man we travel fantastically. The gillon/White travels I coulda done without. I give credit to the Tech crowd there. They (sadly) got in our players heads.
See,ed more like 15-20%, it the team knew we were there.
Poor Gillon, and later Thompson. GA Tech students did a good job to mess with them.

The White 3s in the first half were great. We thought the team was going to pull it out I. The end. Down 2 with the ball, and then... <ugh>

The official tailgate was nice. Got to see some familiar faces. Good to see Dave Cohen there. It's always great to catch up with Jason Poles.

What did the Ga Tech fans chant/do?

Yep almost got into a fight after the game. Some Idiot GT student was running his mouth after the game walking to my car . He was behind me talking about Syracuse, NY Ppeople and JB I told him to do it some where else he said "what are you going to do about it", I stopped and turned around. At that very moment his friends grabbed him and said I don't think you want to mess with that one. LOL my son thought it was funny.

Tough game. Section 114 row 22 seats 4 & 5. Had great people surrounding us and was a great time. Had a few fans behind us kicked because they had been drinking in the arena (felt bad for them. They were great while they were there). For the game itself, it's a quick recap:

-First half the defense was great. Offense, not so much.
- 2nd half was atrocious for the first 13-15 minutes or so on both ends.
-Lammers for GT is the real deal. Kid has a great all-around game. Cuse couldn't stop him.
- Lydon to me has lost his confidence. Numerous possessions he had an open shot and passed it up. Different topic, but I believe he leaves even though I don't think he's ready. He's leaving on potential.
- That moving screen on Roberson shouldn't have been called. That's either a terrible call (which I'm leaning towards) or a no call. To make THAT call with that much time left was BS.
-Arena was loud. About 60/40 in favor in GT. Happy to see all of the orange.

Thanks again Mark for setting that up.

What did the Ga Tech fans chant/do?
Whenever Gillon (and later, Thompson) had the ball, the GA Tech students would chant "Air Ball, Air Ball, ...". It was very loud and well executed. Very annoying to us. Must've been really tough on the players.

Seemed like about 40% Orange to me too. Before the game started, and during a lot of timeouts, there were very loud "Let's Go Orange" chants. GT fans tried to stop it by substituting "Jackets" for "Orange". It's got to be depressing to see that many opposing fans in your arena, especially when your team is good. Syracuse fans would go nuts if there were even a tiny fraction that many in the Dome. I have no doubt the roof would have blown off the place if Cuse tied or took the lead at the end, but the refs made sure we didn't find out.

I hadn't been to McCamish Pavilion before. I loved it. Great sightlines, easy access and movement, comfortable seats, top notch video board. Small arena (8 or 9K?) but well done. The in-game experience was a little goofy though. Student section was decent and loud but the regular GT fan base made the Dome crowd look like a bunch of young whippersnappers. The band played lots of really old songs - Thriller might have been the most recent thing in their repertoire. The big tradition seems to be when the band plays the old Budweiser song (when you say Budweiser, you've said it all). The fans sort of bop up and down and then say "Go Jackets" or something before singing the Budweiser part. Then they do it again. Very strange. The whole thing seemed geared for folks who went there in the 1950s.

Last edited: