Gerry's response to "not ten bleeping games" | Syracusefan.com

Gerry's response to "not ten bleeping games"

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
The Post Standard invited fans to submit questions to Gerry McNamara, to be printed in the spring Central New York Sports magazine. Gerry answered my question, regarding a subject I had long wondered about.

Q: Your heroics during the 2006 Big East Conference Tournament are not something any of us fans will soon forget. What was going through your mind as you sat next to Jim Boeheim at that press conference in New York when he said "we wouldn't have won 10 (bleeping) games" without you? And one more thing: Congratulations on your baby.

A: Thanks. The baby, Little Gerry, is my best accomplishment by far.

As for that press conference, I was just sitting there thinking how much Coach meant to me and how much my career meant to him. I was just so at peace with the end of my career and so at peace with the decision I'd made four years earlier to come to Syracuse. To hear him defend me just reassured, for me, that I had made one of the best life decisions - to play for him - I ever could have made. Coach is always there for his players. He's so loyal. You can question the way he did it, but Coach stood up for me when I wouldn't have stood up for myself. For that I'll always be grateful. His initial statement startled me, but as he kept talking, it motivated me even more. It made me want to play as hard as I could for him and his program. I didn't want to be on one of Coach Boeheim's teams that didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

There were 10 questions that Gerry answered, and it was a great read. There's an article about our current team, interview with Doug Marrone, about "time to replace the Dome?" and other good stuff. I think you can pick the magazine up at Wegman's; not sure where else.

I think the best part of that is he refers to his kid as "little Gerry".
11-seinfeld-Little_Jerry.jpg

Reading that just gave me the chills. Let's go and get this bleeping title.

I am forgetting when exactly he said it. Was it after the Championship was won or was it after UConn 86-84 (OT) ??

Could you imagine G-Mac sounding off to the media after that?! IMO he would have lost all of the charm that made him who he was in the Orange and Blue. He let his game do the talking and let JB sound off...JB was amazing in that presser...I YouTube that presser easily once/month just for the chills..."NOT 10...most Bullshit thing I've heard in 30 yeears..from assistant coaches, who I GUARANTEE will NEVER be head coaches"...ahh love it

At least when he's talking about "little Gerry" he's talking about his kid and not what produced his kid.

Wow, that was a ridiculously good answer by probably my all-time favorite player.