Girard as a Point | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard as a Point

Several good points hoops - I agree with all of that.

Not sure what the OP was seeing, but Girard was very good running the point most of the night, and especially during transitions. We haven't had a lead guard with his instincts and BB IQ since Ennis. The offense will look much better simply because of that.

But, there was more than that going on last night. The offense is different, not just because of Girard. Real screens, low post ball entry, weak side screens and cutting, and OFF Ball movement. Amen.

Good observation. The team seems like they are figuring out who they are. Forget that it was against Seattle, that game represented a big step forward in my mind.

Good observation. The team seems like they are figuring out who they are. Forget that it was against Seattle, that game represented a big step forward in my mind.
Yes, the identity is starting to gel. We have a fair number of alphas on this team, and Girard may be the alphiest. They respect him. He respects them. He has come along at just the right time.

he has some similarities to our last great freshman point, tyler ennis.

obviously, he's a better shooter and like to play at a faster pace. but they both have great court awareness, a great understanding of the game, both good passers (although tyler was less of a risk taker than joe)

and most importantly, both have very quickly commanded the respect of their veteran teammates. 2014 was tyler's team. it's only 1 game as a starter, but i would not be surprised if in 3 months everyone agrees that this team is joe's

Moqui, he already took it over, it's Joe's team now.
he has some similarities to our last great freshman point, tyler ennis.

obviously, he's a better shooter and like to play at a faster pace. but they both have great court awareness, a great understanding of the game, both good passers (although tyler was less of a risk taker than joe)

and most importantly, both have very quickly commanded the respect of their veteran teammates. 2014 was tyler's team. it's only 1 game as a starter, but i would not be surprised if in 3 months everyone agrees that this team is joe's

Moqui, he already took it over, it's Joe's team now.
he's the point guard, yes

it remains to be seen whether it becomes known as "his" team. obviously, i think it will, but it remains to be seen

he's the point guard, yes

it remains to be seen whether it becomes known as "his" team. obviously, i think it will, but it remains to be seen
He's come in hard, not like some timid little freshman. More like a gangster who see's something he wants and takes it.

He's come in hard, not like some timid little freshman. More like a gangster who see's something he wants and takes it.

it’s his team now. You would have to be blind not to see the impact this kid has on the crowd, the team and the opponents. The swagger is infectious.

these types of kids come around very rarely.

I've been very pleasantly surprised and extremely impressed by just how well Girard leads the break. He makes things happen for others and is crafty and decisive enough to get us in position to score when we run. Given how much he was known to look for his own shot, I didn't expect him to show that much in that aspect of basketball this soon.
I suspect a lot of Girard's court vision on the break can be attributed to his experience as a quarterback looking downfield for open receivers while contending with the oncoming rush of blitzing linebackers. To be good at that, you need to be aware of everyone's positioning in your field of vision as well as being aware of where they are all going to be a few seconds from now.

Like all basketball skills, to become one of The Best at that, you really need to move beyond the thinking stage (Jalen is still stuck there for now) and get to where you are just reacting and relying on your instinctive 'feel' for what is possible in all of that complexity. It's really impressive when you see it in those who perform at the top level, where it all seems to be so 'natural' for them.

Push tempo and play thru mistakes because the benefits outweigh the negatives. JB seems to be willing to let JG3 play thru some errors, and the player isn't impacted at all by bad plays. He will have some down games but as long as we are pushing pace I can live with it. Stylistically it is making me look forward to watching the games again.

I don’t WANT to be cautious!
Yeah I’m tired of being cautious and patient with Cuse teams last few years and kind of seems the same very early this season so I want G to be the real deal and for this team to excel. Perhaps being realistic is a better word for a new kid on the block than cautious.

joe is going to see some very physical play coming very soon. i don't know about cornell, but bucknell's rotation guards are pretty big and their starting point is very experienced.

and after that, he gets okie state, the winner of ole miss/psu, iowa, georgia tech and georgetown consecutively.

we'll know before december is half over whether he's strong enough for acc play or not

Lots of pre-season posters dumped on G3 because he played against less-than-stellar competition in high school. What they overlooked, though, was his football pedigree as a QB and leader of championship teams, which may be why he may slip into a starting role more easily than most freshmen. The biggest test will come when he has to face Tre Jones.--VBOF

Nah, I dumped on him for that, too. (Well, relatively speaking.)

But what I didn't know was that he's skilled at basketball. And that's probably the most important thing right now.

joe is going to see some very physical play coming very soon. i don't know about cornell, but bucknell's rotation guards are pretty big and their starting point is very experienced.

and after that, he gets okie state, the winner of ole miss/psu, iowa, georgia tech and georgetown consecutively.

we'll know before december is half over whether he's strong enough for acc play or not
Man, what a schedule!

He’s played 3 games. I want to believe that he is the real deal but I need to see more.

The obvious comp is going to be GMac in terms of a kid who was ready to play from day 1, could shoot it from the perimeter, and had a real floor general approach to the game. I worry that Girard doesn’t get off the ground as easily as Gerry on his jumper, and isn’t quite as quick off the dribble. But, JGIII does have that intangible anticipation factor, and seems to be a very willing passer considering his background of shooting a gazillion times a game in high school (another GMac similarity).

Last edited:
He’s played 3 games. I want to believe that he is the real deal but I need to see more.

The obvious comp is going to be GMac in terms of a kid who was ready to play from day 1, could shoot it from the perimeter, and had a real floor general approach to the game. I worry that Girard doesn’t get off the ground as easily as Gerry on his jumper, and isn’t quite as quick off the dribble. But, JGIII does have that intangible anticipation factor, and seems to be a very willing passer considering his background of shooting a gazillion times a game in high school (another GMac similarity).

I think he’ll be better than Gerry.

the other thing working against JG3 in the comparison to G-mac is he doesn't have Melo or Hak on the wings.

And if he's not what makes you think Goodine is stronger? He hasn't shown he is better than JG3 yet. And Carey still needs to get his act together.

And if he's not what makes you think Goodine is stronger? He hasn't shown he is better than JG3 yet. And Carey still needs to get his act together.

Yup. Nothing from Goodine first 3 games, we'd be better playing 5 on 4 than having Carey in the lineup IMO hes that brutal with the turnovers + awful shooting, and Washington might simply not make the grade. You likely see Eli move to guard if BB/JG3 sit than one of those 3 come in.

They have 2 games Cornell and Bucknell to claim a role. If they don't consider them Boehiem'd and Eli as the 3rd guard.

Seattle didn't really pressure the ball either. He's going to have some growing pains, no doubt. His handle still needs a good deal of work.

Tons of NBA teams are led in assists by something other than a traditional pure pg. For example, none of LeBron James, Luka Doncic, James Harden, Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons, Bradley Beal, Gianni's Antetokounmpo, Nikola Jokic, and Draymond Green defend pgs on defense, but all generally lead their teams in assists.

Someone who was a high school QB isn't going to be bothered by someone being physical with him.

NCAA has announced a new point of emphasis this fall .
The rule is 4-10.1.C.4 and it is used to identify faking a play, likely on a block, charge, 3-point shot or any other tactic to fool the official. And if there is a flop, it will be a warning first just like these other items. If there is one delay of game and then a flop then it becomes a class B technical. Teams will get one warning for a delay of game. The second is a technical foul.
did i hear correctly last night that joe has already been warned twice ?

NCAA has announced a new point of emphasis this fall .
The rule is 4-10.1.C.4 and it is used to identify faking a play, likely on a block, charge, 3-point shot or any other tactic to fool the official. And if there is a flop, it will be a warning first just like these other items. If there is one delay of game and then a flop then it becomes a class B technical. Teams will get one warning for a delay of game. The second is a technical foul.
did i hear correctly last night that joe has already been warned twice ?

he definitely has one flop warning on a block call. stupid stupid rule in my opinion. yes some are obvious but what happens whens T's start being assessed on borderline stuff. Things might look like flops on replays when in fact there is contact say to the face. People have a natural reaction to protect their faces.

I thought the one flop on Joe was borderline and it sure looked to me like there was contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom