Girard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

I have rooted for Joe from the start. My biggest complaint is his intermittent effort. It is not ok with any player but especially concerning with a player on the margin in some areas. He is “too cool” on some plays like the play as time ran out in the first half. One play which blew my mind was when he got caught in a mismatch against a big in the block. It was not exploited by Colgate. He vacated before the switch came. He simply left the ball and the man. Too often he plays without a sense of urgency or intensity.

They shoulda put him in at QB after Shrader went down:

"In football, Girard served as Glens Falls' starting quarterback and safety while also returning kicks and punts. Girard led Glens Fall's to the Class B state title as a sophomore and was named the MVP of the State Championship Game.[12] He passed for 1,911 yards and 24 touchdowns and led Glens Falls to a 13–1 record in his junior season.[13] As a senior, he passed for 3,078 yards and 36 touchdowns and led the Indians to a second state title. Girard finished his high school football career with 6,767 passing yards and 83 touchdowns while rushing for more than 1,500 yards and 31 touchdowns.[14]"

Even with all of this Joe talk, and I'm sometimes critical of his play, he is so far away the issue that this team has. If we had others stepping up (and consistently - hey there, Jesse), we wouldn't be talking much about the young man. We have so many other issues right now, unfortunately.

If he had three more inches on him he’d be a monster, but he’s too short to have a real inside game

good shooter, seems like a good kid. just not a great athlete and is a poor defender.
He is a great athlete as he led his HS to state championships in Football and Basketball. Maybe the only one, or one of few to do that.

However, he has some physical limitations that prevent him from becoming more of an elite player. He's done a lot of good things at Syracuse and while he has exceeded the expectations of some people, he has under performed of others.

He is a 6 foot kid who scored more points than anyone in NYS history while playing at the Class B level and parlayed that to a decent college career and a future professional career (at a level to be determined).

I hope he has a great year but you know defenses are going to bottle him up due to the lack of snipers on this team.

He is a great athlete as he led his HS to state championships in Football and Basketball. Maybe the only one, or one of few to do that.

However, he has some physical limitations that prevent him from becoming more of an elite player. He's done a lot of good things at Syracuse and while he has exceeded the expectations of some people, he has under performed of others.

He is a 6 foot kid who scored more points than anyone in NYS history while playing at the Class B level and parlayed that to a decent college career and a future professional career (at a level to be determined).

I hope he has a great year but you know defenses are going to bottle him up due to the lack of snipers on this team.
Much of that is undisputably true (did I just make up that word?).

What bothers me is the lack of effort. Terrible defensive lapses, followed up with standing still on offense while he doesn’t have the ball. Combine that with not committing to coming in every year in shape, and I mean close to Cooney shape, and many of us will thank him for his contributions and be glad he’s not back.

What bothers me is the lack of effort. Terrible defensive lapses, followed up with standing still on offense while he doesn’t have the ball. Combine that with not committing to coming in every year in shape, and I mean close to Cooney shape, and many of us will thank him for his contributions and be glad he’s not back.
You could solve some of that by letting him know that he is only going to play 25 or whatever minutes a game. Get more from less.

Physically, he is who he is. Think about people you know. Some people are natural freaks of nature and other, no matter how much time they devote in the workout room, can never get bigger, stronger, faster. To me, Joe seems like the prototypical gym rat. I don't see him as someone who hasn't put in the effort.

That is it. He has fine skills and talent level at this point of his career, but too often it just looks like he’s playing lazy ball. I don’t understand that. I see him being compared to Cooney - I’d say Joe is a more talented offensive player than Cooney, but Cooney just played a lot harder. He was bigger, stronger, and faster, and played with way more consistent intensity which made him a great defender. Joe shows he anticipates well at times, but too often the effort just looks like it lapses on that end.

I'm going to nitpick a little bit - I don't think Joe has a lack of effort as though he's lazy. I think there are two parts:

1) Joe has been playing out of position until this year. That is hard to eat coming out of being the biggest fish in a tiny tiny pond. I think it's hard to deal with that and still stay motivated all the time when you are on an already bad defensive team like last year. It's kind of like the "big man has to eat" with Shaq, but on an upstate ny level. And now, I think he's running off ball a lot and not quite getting all the looks he wants, I think it can be a bit deflating. Not saying right or wrong, I just think it's human nature and not just for Joe.

2) He's limited athletically and physically. He can't go HAM all the time. He just can't. It's not fair to him. He's not an athletic specimen. I don't care how many records or titles he has in smalltown, ny. All while being the second ball handler in the starting lineup.

All this to say, while there are a lot of criticisms to levy at Joe (defense, bad two point shots, some poor pseudo heat checks), I don't think the dude is lazy.

Now that he’s playing off the ball, the PG needs to do some things to get Joe open shots. First, when Joe is tear assing Cooney-esque to one side, the guard has to cheat that way so Joe has an option of going to the deep corner if his defender is cheating over the top of screens. Judah led him to an open spot a couple times the other night with a long pass, so I know he gets it. And Joe needs to recognize when his defender is either trailing him or cheating up. And make the adjustments. These are things he can do.

JG3 desperately needs someone, anyone, to be able to consistently hit 3’s or he will be toast for the last 10 minutes of each game. When he hit his first 3 pointer in the 2nd half last night, he was 4-8 from 3. Then he missed his last 4 attempts, two fairly wide open looks. He was too tired and needed some rest, and that was against Colgate. Wait until the ACC boys are guarding him.

Joe would have been better off playing for a different O . He would have crushed it at Colgate

I'm going to nitpick a little bit - I don't think Joe has a lack of effort as though he's lazy. I think there are two parts:

1) Joe has been playing out of position until this year. That is hard to eat coming out of being the biggest fish in a tiny tiny pond. I think it's hard to deal with that and still stay motivated all the time when you are on an already bad defensive team like last year. It's kind of like the "big man has to eat" with Shaq, but on an upstate ny level. And now, I think he's running off ball a lot and not quite getting all the looks he wants, I think it can be a bit deflating. Not saying right or wrong, I just think it's human nature and not just for Joe.

2) He's limited athletically and physically. He can't go HAM all the time. He just can't. It's not fair to him. He's not an athletic specimen. I don't care how many records or titles he has in smalltown, ny. All while being the second ball handler in the starting lineup.

All this to say, while there are a lot of criticisms to levy at Joe (defense, bad two point shots, some poor pseudo heat checks), I don't think the dude is lazy.
There's a lot of red meat here. A lot.

You trying to bait me into getting in trouble?

Joes time on the hill has been up and down. Not because of Joe but because of his coach. Joe for whatever reason has been forced to play out of position. He really isn't suited to start for a team at the point and he needs good players around him to provide him with open looks at the 2 as he isn't a threat to create for himself. On D there is nothing that can be done to overcome his lack of height and physicality other than to try and protect him in the zone. Joe is a good college basketball player. Nothing more or less.

There's a lot of red meat here. A lot.

You trying to bait me into getting in trouble?

Not at all.

He played his secondary position for three years and now finally gets his turn. We're not talking about a kid that has extraterrestrial athleticism or big time size.

He gets worn down and the team is still figuring out how to play together. BTW, he's not the only one I could say this about. Jesse is out there setting poor screens and then calling for the ball every single time down the court.

If Benny hits a single shot on O, all of a sudden he's chatting up guys on defense like he's Draymond.

I can go on. Again, I'm not trying to target Joe. He's good at what he's good at for as long as he can do it. That's all I'm saying.

Joes time on the hill has been up and down. Not because of Joe but because of his coach. Joe for whatever reason has been forced to play out of position. He really isn't suited to start for a team at the point and he needs good players around him to provide him with open looks at the 2 as he isn't a threat to create for himself. On D there is nothing that can be done to overcome his lack of height and physicality other than to try and protect him in the zone. Joe is a good college basketball player. Nothing more or less.
I wish he would learn his limitations. Very rarely does anything good come from him trying to dribble in to the lane. Occasionally he gets fouled, but more often than not, it is a turnover. He feeds the post pretty well, so he needs to understand that he is a threat from outside, and he can use that to make the defense react and then set someone else up. And, he is a senior, he needs to start showing some leadership out there, too often he makes freshman mistakes.

I just wish after 4 years he played smarter. He's still reckless, makes terrible decisions, takes crazy shots and doesn't play within his limitations. When I see his 24 footer off balance falling away shots with no care of the score, the game situation, or time on the clock it's still like he's in high school. That's my biggest disappointment, I would have figured he'd be a real smart heady player by now. He's just reckless and 4 years of seasoning didn't change anything.

Not at all.

He played his secondary position for three years and now finally gets his turn. We're not talking about a kid that has extraterrestrial athleticism or big time size.

He gets worn down and the team is still figuring out how to play together. BTW, he's not the only one I could say this about. Jesse is out there setting poor screens and then calling for the ball every single time down the court.

If Benny hits a single shot on O, all of a sudden he's chatting up guys on defense like he's Draymond.

I can go on. Again, I'm not trying to target Joe. He's good at what he's good at for as long as he can do it. That's all I'm saying.
Very well said on all fronts. Excellent observations. Joe can be effective but should not be 35+ minutes and the #1 option. Jesse has to play meaner and tougher. Bang underneath and then use your quickness to get an advantage on his defender. He needs to challenge for rebounds and secure them. I am not sure he has that junkyard dog attitude though

Cuse!

Deshaun Williams.

Watching Joe and Mintz play off each other today provides hope. I loved that they genuinely cared about each other during the game. The chemistry between them is the key to this year. Today was encouraging.

Did you notice Mintz on the bench when Joe made his last 3? Kid was going nuts.

Watching Joe and Mintz play off each other today provides hope. I loved that they genuinely cared about each other during the game. The chemistry between them is the key to this year. Today was encouraging.

Best it's looked. Joe got his while Judah ran the show. It's good for both to experience that and see it makes everyone happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom