Give JB one more year. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Give JB one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I don't know. Unprecedented player movement and fluidity in rosters, pretty ridiculous NCAA sanctions for relatively minor infractions and a botched succession plan ... not sure those are all solely on JB. But I get it, obviously we need to be better. Don't see a reason why we won't be.
The sanctions, the botched succession plan, and questionable recruiting decisions-all falls on JB.

The sanctions, the botched succession plan, and questionable recruiting decisions-all falls on JB.

I would suggest the succession plan is an athletics department decision as a whole. Questionable recruiting decisions happen, I would argue the sanctions highlight those misses. Sanctions themselves fall on JB -- the severity of those sanctions doesn't.

But regardless, I'm not arguing it has been anything other than a brutal stretch and that, at the end of the day, it's the head guy who takes the blame. I guess my point is more that I'm not sure a quick-trigger if we don't win 25 and make a run next season is entirely fair. I mean, there is simply not a ton of sustained success in college hoops.

I mean, you've got the top tier that includes the givens of UK and Duke as well Kansas and UNC.

I'd put Arizona and Michigan State with UVA and Nova in the next tier and you could probably throw Oregon and Gonzaga (though that always has an asterisk next to it, IMO) in a second tier.

After that? I don't know. Some nice runs for these schools in the past five years:

Cincy (at least 22 wins each of those seasons, no tourney success)
Witchita State (at least 26 wins, final four was in 12-13)
Wisconsin (Generally been good but they had 23 losses the past two seasons and are already at 16 this season, so the trend isn't pretty)
Purdue (in the midst of a really nice stretch but that's on the heels of a not great four-year stretch with two missed tourneys. they also haven't done much postseason damage in general).
Louisville (hard to argue the resume but hard to ignore how they did what they did)
WVU (in the midst of a nice run but on the heels of four not great years with two tourney misses)
Baylor (i guess, but not having a great year this year and not too much to show for the previous four or five)
Oklahoma (brutal last year and not great this year but OK and really good season with a final four run a couple years ago)
Xavier (eh, it's been solid but a watered down BE helps)
Michigan (I guess, but they haven't been great)

Notables missing from that list other than Syracuse include schools like Maryland, Ohio State, Indiana, Georgetown, UConn, Pitt, UCLA, Florida, Texas, etc.

Anyway, my point is simply that it's not a given that you make a change and everything gets righted. It's freaking tough to play in this conference and consistently put up 25 wins. That's where we want to be, i agree. But getting there is tough.

Did you expect this years team to make the tournament? We are going to finish above 500 and have our class coming next year. It is what it is.

I didn't expect a better record but I also didn't expect a guy leaving mid season, a guy who had a somewhat successful season as a freshman last year leaving for Seton Hall, not on player improving and more regressing than anything all while being a total for no reason other than to be one during pressers.

If Battle is auditioning for the NBA then JB is digging and clawing at every victory we can at the expense of our players energy, possibly health and development of other players.

Who was the last player to show significant improvement from game 1 of their freshman year until their final game in orange? Grant? Rak? More players have regressed, left or was pretty much booted.

I'm pretty frustrated and it's mainly because many could see this coming from a mile away.

Lazy thread after a tough loss. Syracuse will be successful next year, anyway, so the point is moot.

Hot take - If JB wins 25 games next year, he should be allowed the opportunity to coach for one more year.

I'm on board with this thread.

Saving Graces:

-Two recent Final 4's
-Great recruiting class coming in

Gigantic Worries:

-Middle of the Pack ACC Team since joining the conference.
-Missing the tourney 3 of the last 4 years.
-A coach who won't switch out of a defense, for even a minute, to get teams out of rhythm.
-Unwillingness to develop a bench

There’s a difference. That is why I said JB should get one more year. If he can’t win next year we need to make a change.
Do you honestly think Boeheim's replacement will be an upgrade?

This team from Day One was a bubble team. That was with Geno Thorpe and no injuries. We are performing just about they way most impartial observers expected back in September. I am not enjoying this season very much but I do expect things to improve immensely next year. If we are 17-9 on Valentine's Day 2019 I will be willing to think about JB taking a walk but not until then.

I think its going to be rough. I'm not familiar enough with other teams, but I do think that few teams survive replacing a HOF coach without some rough spots.

I'm curious as to how people thought his career as a coach would end ... whether it would be multiple seasons in the top-5, a few deep tourney runs, maybe another title and ride off into the sunset, or hanging on until the bitter end and struggling. This is really uncharted territory for the most part. Basketball coaches don't stay around this long.

Basketball coaches don't stay around this long.
We can look at other 70-something coaches to get an idea of how it will play out. I think someone said that no coach over the age of 70 has ever won an NCAA tournament game.

I am just sick of JB never doing anything differently.
We are just the obvious program in the nation.
All you need to do is watch 5 minutes and the scouting report is done.
We don’t change.

100% zone D
Full court press when down
ISO offense

That is the HC.
The team constantly makes undisciplined mistakes(non specific to this team I am talking since 2010.)

Plus JB is thin skinned. The guy is 71 it’s not like people are pushing him out young.

I get the next HC is a step back but as long as the school is committed to putting a winning product on the court the fanbase will support the program.

Kansas went from Larry Brown to Roy Williams to Bill Self.

Self went from Tulsa to Illinois before Kansas.

Syracuse could find a Self at smaller
School if they paid.

I didn't expect a better record but I also didn't expect a guy leaving mid season, a guy who had a somewhat successful season as a freshman last year leaving for Seton Hall, not on player improving and more regressing than anything all while being a total for no reason other than to be one during pressers.

If Battle is auditioning for the NBA then JB is digging and clawing at every victory we can at the expense of our players energy, possibly health and development of other players.

Who was the last player to show significant improvement from game 1 of their freshman year until their final game in orange? Grant? Rak? More players have regressed, left or was pretty much booted.

I'm pretty frustrated and it's mainly because many could see this coming from a mile away.

No one has improved since Grant or Rak?

The only returning players that we have playing this year, 3, yes count ‘em 3... have all improved SIGNIFICANTLY from last year.

Do you even watch the games?

The expectations you people have for this program without seriously taking into consideration the circumstances that the program has found itself in are over the top.

Consider EVERYTHING that has happened to the program since probation and then the absolute shiz luck we’ve encountered just this season, we are overachieving this year. By leaps and bounds.

You ppl calling for JB’s head are bogus.

Oh and the season isn’t even over yet, ya bunch of Sallies!

Last edited:
Well Boeheim won four in 2016.

Wasn't he 69 then?

EDIT - Need to amend my post. He's currently 73, turning 74 in November. He was 71 back in spring 2016.

And now that I think about it, I think the stat quoted on TV and misquoted here is that no coach 72 or older has won an NCAA game. But I can't verify it.

Last edited:

We had a great coach on staff that the fans didn’t want. He has the same record as Boeheim. As does Keatts at N.C. State. We wanted a Shaka Smart who frankly stinks at Texas.

If you have concerns about the next coach is
we have the wrong AD.

Although he wasn’t here freshman year...G could be one of the most improved in recent years. His first year he couldn’t dribble up the court and he turned out pretty well.

The past few years have sucked but if you look at other programs failed years ours in comparison isn’t as bad. We haven’t had a year where we have a losing record. Look at some Indiana teams and Wisconsin this year. Even though we have been perpetually on the bubble there really hasn’t been a year I can remember where we are completely out of it early on.

If we can’t win 25 games next year it’s time to go in a new direction. That was pathetic tonight.

this is literally what 9pm games give us.

So should we bring back the 2003 Carmelo “one more year” chant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom