give up open foul line jumpers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

give up open foul line jumpers

He did adjust our zone at the half. Just wished he had done it a bit earlier to get the two guards out from starting behind the 3 line to in front. And the attack after the first pass was a masterful adjustment JB called in the timeout in the second half.

Yes but I think we all wish those adjustments were more proactive than reactive though. More trapping from different spots on the floor... kind of like timing the blitz in football -- the goal is to keep the opponent off-balance. This is critical especially to prevent shooters from getting into a rhythm.

the 3 pt shot is a huuuuuuuuuuuge part of college basketball. players today can hit open 3's like their layups, no matter how deep. everyone always says the key to beating the zone is getting the ball to the high post. the zone will collapse on him and he can pass it for an open 3 or on the baseline for a layup. i say whenever the someone gets the ball at the high post or foul line LET HIM SHOOT. its a 2 point shot, and its not a gimme.

i feel like we should always extend the zone and the #1 key for every game on defense is not give up open 3's. im so sick of watching guys go off from 3 against us. just take away the 3 point shot. yes the really good teams will get alot more dunks and layups, but honestly id rather that than giving up a bunch of open 3's.

when we cut the lead down to 7 in 2nd half i KNEW kansas was gonna drill a 3. i feel like every game im just expecting the opponent to drill multiple dagger 3's against us, its so frustrating. 2 straight games 1 guy goes off from 3 against us. IM SO SICK OF IT!!!!!

Hopkins must've read this.

Teams with great shooters and great passers are always going to give any defense fits.

Im not a fan of always collapsing to the man at the FT line. It certainly does expose us on the kick out. If our forwards are disciplined we should be able to have PC step up and handle that guy. Considering PCs length he doesn’t have to go very far to challenge someone at the FT line either.

Trust the process

Im not a fan of always collapsing to the man at the FT line. It certainly does expose us on the kick out. If our forwards are disciplined we should be able to have PC step up and handle that guy.
It's not a matter of discipline. Once the ball is in the post the forwards have to guess who they should cover - either help up top or crash the baseline. And guess what - it's hard to know this when the opponent is sometimes behind you and can easily cut backdoor before there's a chance to read-and-react. Now if the center stays home and doesn't cheat up then that buys the wings enough time to recover.

It's not a matter of discipline. Once the ball is in the post the forwards have to guess who they should cover - either help up top or crash the baseline. And guess what - it's hard to know this when the opponent is sometimes behind you and can easily cut backdoor before there's a chance to read-and-react. Now if the center stays home and doesn't cheat up then that buys the wings enough time to recover.

My points were based on a different execution of the defense. Guards stay with shooters above the FT line extended instead of sagging in to defend the high post. This doesn't force the forwards into the 'guess work' that you correctly state. So as long as the forwards are paying attention and moving with the ball then our back line is protected. In this scenario our center has responsibility for the high post player. This years team, with a 7'2" center who has 100' of wingspan should be able to manage this. (I am joking about the wingspan, but the man is freakishly long).

Sounds good in theory. But if/when we play a team with a Big who has a jumpshot, I think we'd get killed. An open jumper from the foul line is a high percentage shot. Midrange shots get knocked all the time as almost universally terrible decisions but the make percentage on wide open midrange shots has to be north of 65%. 10 shots would net a team 12 points. A team shooting well from 3 with decent looks would get the same points on the same number of shots (approx. 4-10 for 12 points).

If the guy at the foul line can't shoot, yeah, leave him. But we do that already anyway. If he can, you have to come up on him or you'll get shredded. If you're giving up wide open 3's, then the defense has other issues causing that that need to be addressed. If you're playing good defense, I'd rather see an opponent put up a slightly contested 3 than a wide open foul line jumper.
Watch St Bona play. Their center hits shots a step hehind the foul line better than SU players make layups! Against Canisis, he was 5 for 5. The only thing that stopped him was foul truble. Last year he did much the same thing. Does it on the baseline too.

Watch St Bona play. Their center hits shots a step hehind the foul line better than SU players make layups! Against Canisis, he was 5 for 5. The only thing that stopped him was foul truble. Last year he did much the same thing. Does it on the baseline too.
Better they make 5 2’s vs 5 3’s.

Better they make 5 2’s vs 5 3’s.
But 100% of 5 2's is 10 and even 50% of 6 3's is only 9 plus the 3 rebounds of the missed 3's could be worth 2 to 9 pts for SU.

But 100% of 5 2's is 10 and even 50% of 6 3's is only 9 plus the 3 rebounds of the missed 3's could be worth 2 to 9 pts for SU.
Actually, missed 3s are harder to rebound for the defence than missed 2s. I tend to agree with OP, but I also think that Boeheim does let the guy shoot from the foul line. First, he tries to take away everything. But if that fails, he stops whatever the opponent is getting by giving up something else, often the foul line jumper. That's what killed us in the F4 Michigan game. McGary just nailed like 8 semi-contested foul line jumpers. Nothing we could really do about it.

AMEN! Every time that pass goes in and PC comes out our the guard collapses I yell. It used to be that am open free throw line jumper was automatic in college. Not anymore. I don't think most teams we play have 3/4 type player who can hit that with regularity and they won't take away one of their 3pt threats to take a 15ft 2pt shot. I say leave them alone and make them beat you from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom