GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official] | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official]

Congrats Coach McNamara! This is probably very wishful thinking and way too good to be true, but at the power program level, you are going to need to be a high end 4 or 5 star player to even get a roster spot as a freshmen moving forward. I think it would be very cool moving forward if Siena-Syracuse basically becomes a partnership. Gerry gets the type of Syracuse players that would be 4 year guys, develops them for 2-3 years, feeds them into the big stage at Syracuse. Vice versa, Syracuse feeds Siena players that need to move down a level. I think the next step for coaches at the power conference level is to really formally create alliances with mid to low major schools to navigate the transfer portal and NIL world. This probably crosses NCAA tampering lines, but I think it can be beneficial for both programs to basically be partners like an NBA team to a g league team.

Last edited:
Very happy for Gerry, and my dads alma mater.

One thing this reinforces for me is that, unlike my previously stated fear, JB is not manipulating the program from behind closed doors. This is great for ll.

Now that would be an interesting turn of events.
It makes sense that they wouldn't want to tie their fortunes to Red with the program in such a precarious position.

Congrats to Gerry. One of the most beloved Orange players ever.

Given that he wanted to be a head coach, his time at SU was always going to be limited once Red got the job. Hopefully, he can make a quick splash and then parlay that into something bigger. Coaching at the Siena level has its own built-in obstacles. You need to successfully recruit to win but if you get really solid guys, they are going to hit the portal immediately after their first breakout season. That's life these days and nobody knows that better than Gerry.

I remember the 144 point win over Siena at Manley. I doubt we will see a return engagement because, even though GMAC could use it as a recruiting tool, I wouldn't think Red would want to coach against a former member of his staff. JB didn't like to do that either.

It makes sense that they wouldn't want to tie their fortunes to Red with the program in such a precarious position.

It does and now Red needs to take advantage of that and get some dogs on the recruiting trail.

IMG_5391.jpeg

Congrats Coach McNamara! This is probably very wishful thinking and way too good to be true, but at the power program level, you are going to need to be a high end 4 or 5 star player to even get a roster spot as a freshmen moving forward. I think it would be very cool moving forward if Siena-Syracuse basically becomes a partnership. Gerry gets the type of Syracuse players that would be 4 year guys, develops them for 2-3 years, feeds them into the big stage at Syracuse. Vice versa, Syracuse feeds Siena players that need to move down a level. I think the next step for coaches at the power conference level is to really formally create alliances with mid to low major schools to navigate the transfer portal and NIL world. This probably crosses NCAA tampering lines, but I think it can be beneficial for both programs to basically be partners like an NBA team to a g league team.
One small detail you’re leaving out, who says the players would want to do that?

I would love someone like a John Beilein as an assistant bench coach.
I think ideally if he was going for an older assistant head coach mentor figure, the first call could be Seth Greenberg. Though it would take a lot of convincing I think to get him to leave ESPN at this point. Though I think if he ever got back into coaching, wouldn’t be shocked if it was to help out Coach Autry.

I think ideally if he was going for an older assistant head coach mentor figure, the first call could be Seth Greenberg. Though it would take a lot of convincing I think to get him to leave ESPN at this point. Though I think if he ever got back into coaching, wouldn’t be shocked if it was to help out Coach Autry.
No way he’s leaving that gig to be an assistant coach

One small detail you’re leaving out, who says the players would want to do that?
They won’t right now, but I do think we are at a turning point where higher programs will not be taking as many freshmen as they used too. A lot of our recruiting will be happening at mid major and low major programs with one or two high end 4 or 5 star freshmen. It could be advantageous for lower and mid major programs to distinguish themselves as having a working relationship with a high major program and likewise for the high major program.

They won’t right now, but I do think we are at a turning point where higher programs will not be taking as many freshmen as they used too. A lot of our recruiting will be happening at mid major and low major programs with one or two high end 4 or 5 star freshmen. It could be advantageous for lower and mid major programs to distinguish themselves as having a working relationship with a high major program and likewise for the high major program.
Everyone is different and are going to transfer to the school that’s in their best interest. To think you are going to get some kind of AAA team to feed you kids ain’t happening. Once again each athlete will go to whatever school is offering them what’s best for them, most likely the biggest bag.

No way he’s leaving that gig to be an assistant coach
Yeah I would be shocked if he left ESPN, but if he had any desire at all to get back into coaching before retirement, I wouldn’t be shocked if it was to work with Coach Autry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom