Goalie struggles contributed to SU’s worst season since 1975 | Syracusefan.com

Goalie struggles contributed to SU’s worst season since 1975

I think lacrosse goalie is the hardest position in sports, so I'll never rail on a kid who has the nads to step in a cage. But we need better goaltending.

I once thought Shahe Katchadurian was the future when I would see him play down at John Jay so I really have no idea what it takes to be a high level D1 keep. It's as much of a crapshoot as a D1 QB.

Just an observation from a guy who has never played the position in lax, but has been standing in front of pucks for 40 years: Both of these guys play way too deep in the net. When you stand on the goal line, you're giving the shooter the maximum amount of open net to shoot at. If you step towards the top of the crease and challenge on shots, you quickly "cut off the angle" and the net becomes dramatically smaller.

I know most lax goalies play pretty deep in the net (not sure why), but I found it really noticeable with both of these guys. You can't just rely on reflexes to stop a 100mph ball- you need to maximize the odds that the ball will hit you, even if by chance.

My 2 yen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom