Going on the Offensive... | Syracusefan.com

Going on the Offensive...

Nick44

All Conference
From a business standpoint this is simple; either you're growing or you're dying...the ACC has to go on the offensive immediately. That clock started ticking after the latest contract put them in last place (5th) from an income standpoint.

While everyone is targeting ND, I think this is a pipe dream. If the B1G can't get them to commit then nobody is going to get them. If I am Swofford, my eye is on one team...Baylor. I know that sounds crazy, but think about it. From an academic standpoint, they are a perfect match for the ACC. For the same reason that (4) teams wanted out of the Big 12 (Longhorn Network) 8 months ago, the ACC offers this same opportunity to Baylor. Baylor will ALWAYS be under the shadow of Texas unless they leave the Big 12 like A&M did.

The best point I have heard thus far is that there is only one conference where teams are still willing to leave that conference (not counting ACC/Big East) - the Big12. This is due to the Longhorn Network.

To make this an even 16, I do not go after ND/UConn/Rutgers etc. I add Houston. It gives Baylor a partner and it puts further pressure on the Big12 with 2 ACC teams in its backyard.

How does this get accomplished? If 6 teams left the ACC tomorrow, there is no way that the current contract would go as is. It would be restructured. The same is the case if the ACC expands to 16. This would easily put revenue per team at north of $20 million by adding the Houston and Waco, TX markets.

If I am Swofford, you must go on the offensive NOW. Explain to current members (looking at you FSU) that I am finding the best candidates to expand to 16 today, screw ND, and get on phone with Baylor.

The University of Phoenix remains in play.
UPhoenixstadium.jpg

1. Last time I checked neither Baylor nor Houston are on the Atlantic Coast.

2. Baylor? That is the offensive? LOL

3. No way in hell would Houston even be considered. Rice, Tulane, and SMU would all get looks before them. Heck why not take TCU? If you can get Baylor surely you can get TCU as well.

TCU? You're kidding right? From an academic standpoint Baylor fits perfectly with the ACC. Sorry TCU or freaking SMU.

Why not Baylor or Houston?!? Both have been top 25 schools and are on the up.

Sure this can be looked at as a pipe dream but no one thought 4 schools would deflect from that conference but they did and it was because the big 12 sold its soul to the devil by giving Texas what they wanted. RG3 is gone, Baylor needs a new way to stay relevant.

1. Last time I checked neither Baylor nor Houston are on the Atlantic Coast.

2. Baylor? That is the offensive? LOL

3. No way in hell would Houston even be considered. Rice, Tulane, and SMU would all get looks before them. Heck why not take TCU? If you can get Baylor surely you can get TCU as well.

ACC actually cares about academics and tries to maintain Eastern (time zone) schools. Kind of limits the options with those stipulations otherwise WVU and likely L'ville would already be in and Big 12 wouldn't be in the drivers seat.

Well If it comes down to time zones or losing FSU/Clemson I think they would take Baylor/Houston.

If you're going to get wild eyed, really pull a rabbit out of the hat. One that might work go after Alabama and Auburn, they consider everyone else as interloopers, and as long as they play each other each year, conference doesn't mean as much as their rivalry.

You think Louisville is a commuter school. You haven't seen anything until you see UofH. Only 7% of the roughly 35,000 students live on campus.

ACC actually cares about academics and tries to maintain Eastern (time zone) schools. Kind of limits the options with those stipulations otherwise WVU and likely L'ville would already be in and Big 12 wouldn't be in the drivers seat.

Isn't FSU out of the Eastern Time zone?

TCU? You're kidding right? From an academic standpoint Baylor fits perfectly with the ACC. Sorry TCU or freaking SMU.

Why not Baylor or Houston?!? Both have been top 25 schools and are on the up.

Sure this can be looked at as a pipe dream but no one thought 4 schools would deflect from that conference but they did and it was because the big 12 sold its soul to the devil by giving Texas what they wanted. RG3 is gone, Baylor needs a new way to stay relevant.

Baylor does not fit academically in the ACC.

If the ACC turned down WV for academics why would they take an awful Houston who has ONE Top 25 finish in the last 21 years? And yes TCU is a better fit than Houston by FAR.

Either way this is silly as Baylor and Houston are not keeping FSU around if they really want to go.

Pretty sure its eastern.

Right you are. I had to look it up. I thought they were far enough out on the panhandle that they weren't EST.

You think Louisville is a commuter school. You haven't seen anything until you see UofH. Only 7% of the roughly 35,000 students live on campus.
I did not know that about UofH thanks. Even so, I am not opposed to a commuter school joining. I would be fine with adding Louisville, I just think UofH offers more...most notably its Houston market in addition to being a partner with Baylor.

Overall, I think the ACC at least has enough to make a case to Baylor to get them to consider the jump -
a. Disadvantages due to Longhorn Network.
b. They've threatened before, if Texas ever leaves, the Big12 is a shell of itself.
c. More emphasis on academics with ACC vs. Big12
d. An opportunity to differentiate yourself from Texas and step out of shadow.
e. $20+ million per year.
f. Elite basketball conference
g. NY/Boston/DC/Richmond/Greensboro TV markets
h. A partner in U of Houston

I did not know that about UofH thanks. Even so, I am not opposed to a commuter school joining. I would be fine with adding Louisville, I just think UofH offers more...most notably its Houston market in addition to being a partner with Baylor.

Overall, I think the ACC at least has enough to make a case to Baylor to get them to consider the jump -
a. Disadvantages due to Longhorn Network.
b. They've threatened before, if Texas ever leaves, the Big12 is a shell of itself.
c. More emphasis on academics with ACC vs. Big12
d. An opportunity to differentiate yourself from Texas and step out of shadow.
e. $20+ million per year.
f. Elite basketball conference
g. NY/Boston/DC/Richmond/Greensboro TV markets
h. A partner in U of Houston

Please send your proposal to Swofford and the Baylor and Houston fan boards so the campaign can begin.

Baylor is thinking outside the box and wouldn't be a bad add. What limits the right and left coast conferences is geography and how to implement it into a conference like the ACC. The PAC has schools that don't touch the Pacific and they had to move east so maybe it's time the ACC expands its footprint a little as well if push does indeed come and it's time to shove and UConn and rutgers just ain't going to do it. Having a school from Texas would do more to attract ND than a lot of are, they want that Texas footprint and to keep national. Add Baylor and you have the east coast, Texas and they also play USC so there's California and thus their national footprint.

Plus...it's apples and oranges (pun intended) the ACC wants actual academic schools to join thus limiting its choices even more and the Big 12 wants football factories/TV and as we know academics is getting shoved more and more to the side with the quick allure of cash from athletics. You can only raise tuition so much so you have to look at other ways to generate $ and athletics is the golden goose... right now.

John Marinatto, is that you?

It is. I am trying my best to bring down the ACC like I did to the Big East. Big12 you are next. Then I plan on running for governor and auditioning to play the penguin in the next Batman movie.

From a business standpoint this is simple; either you're growing or you're dying...the ACC has to go on the offensive immediately. That clock started ticking after the latest contract put them in last place (5th) from an income standpoint.

While everyone is targeting ND, I think this is a pipe dream. If the B1G can't get them to commit then nobody is going to get them. If I am Swofford, my eye is on one team...Baylor. I know that sounds crazy, but think about it. From an academic standpoint, they are a perfect match for the ACC. For the same reason that (4) teams wanted out of the Big 12 (Longhorn Network) 8 months ago, the ACC offers this same opportunity to Baylor. Baylor will ALWAYS be under the shadow of Texas unless they leave the Big 12 like A&M did.

The best point I have heard thus far is that there is only one conference where teams are still willing to leave that conference (not counting ACC/Big East) - the Big12. This is due to the Longhorn Network.

To make this an even 16, I do not go after ND/UConn/Rutgers etc. I add Houston. It gives Baylor a partner and it puts further pressure on the Big12 with 2 ACC teams in its backyard.

How does this get accomplished? If 6 teams left the ACC tomorrow, there is no way that the current contract would go as is. It would be restructured. The same is the case if the ACC expands to 16. This would easily put revenue per team at north of $20 million by adding the Houston and Waco, TX markets.

If I am Swofford, you must go on the offensive NOW. Explain to current members (looking at you FSU) that I am finding the best candidates to expand to 16 today, screw ND, and get on phone with Baylor.

I think if you really want to go on the offensive you invite West Virginia right now and maybe Louisville. Knock the Big 12 down to 9 and grab their next best option which is LVille.

All the ACC needs to do is sit down with its member institutions, explain why they have it good. Explain the cons of moving (2nd tier to Texas no matter how good you feel about yourself, increased travel for all sports, explain all the tiers and rights to those who may not fully understand). Tell everyone to bring their own projections to the meeting and then tell them where they are wrong. Keep hammering home ESPN and what that means.

I know the Orange Bowl hasn't exactly been enamored with ACC results, but get that locked in, call each league see if they want to ultimately get their #2 to Miami. Make sure they keep Peach Bowl against SEC #3, try to get Peach Bowl moved to New Year's Day.

I don't see how adding teams is the answer. Particularly anyone from the current Big East, future Big East, or any 2nd tier program in Texas. I think this geography mismatch is going to start blowing up in schools' faces, especially for sports not named football.

ACC is still in a position of strength, manufactured perception aside.

really enjoy out of the box thinking...but hmmmmm...dont think so.
out of the box and WITH credibility is university of Pennsylvania in Phila.,stanford of the east: RICH football hx, ABOVE MAJOR academics, BIG stadium,philadelphia market---you want to think out of the box ---then get out of the box

Kansas and Kansas State to the Big 10, you heard it here first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom