Going to be Interesting | Syracusefan.com

Going to be Interesting

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
to see what happens with Pitt and the payment they make to leave from the Big East a year early.

Their fans seem to think SU overpaid big time and that the $7.5 million SU is paying is the worst case scenario they would ever pay. Of course, whatever they pay will be significantly more than what goes to the ACC, as the costs for their lawsuit are going to chew up a lot of money.

Found it interesting that from their perspective, the decision to let TCU leave early hurt Pitt financially much more than it did Syracuse. Both schools had a home game with TCU set up. Not sure I understand their logic.

The Pitt AD continues to say they are not paying more than $5 million and are leaving after this season.

We'll see... at some point the ACC may start leaning on Pitt to get it done. A 13-team football conference doesn't work too well.

I still don't understand why Pitt & SU didn't hold joint negotiations with the NBE. Perhaps they did and Pitt became impatient... choosing to go the legal route instead. Syracuse may have overpaid a bit, but Pitt isn't looking so good right now.

Is $2.5m really all that much nowadays?

I envision Pitt as that cheapskate friend that everyone has.
Take them out to dinner...and they won't cover the tip.
They ask for a mixed drink on your round...but buy a pitcher of draft beer on their round.
Go to Vegas with a group of friends...they want to stay off the strip.

I mean just pay the $2.5m already and move on with life.

to see what happens with Pitt and the payment they make to leave from the Big East a year early.

Their fans seem to think SU overpaid big time and that the $7.5 million SU is paying is the worst case scenario they would ever pay. Of course, whatever they pay will be significantly more than what goes to the ACC, as the costs for their lawsuit are going to chew up a lot of money.

Found it interesting that from their perspective, the decision to let TCU leave early hurt Pitt financially much more than it did Syracuse. Both schools had a home game with TCU set up. Not sure I understand their logic.

The Pitt AD continues to say they are not paying more than $5 million and are leaving after this season.

I would be stunned if Pitt ultimately does not enter the ACC at the same time as SU and at the precedent of $7.5 million (plus legal fees). I suspect the lawsuit will be dropped/negotiated away.

As others have said, I think SU was smart, both politically and financially, not to burn any more bridges with the BE.

It should be an interesting football and basketball season now that the target date is official and public.

I would be stunned if Pitt ultimately does not enter the ACC at the same time as SU and at the precedent of $7.5 million (plus legal fees). I suspect the lawsuit will be dropped/negotiated away.

As others have said, I think SU was smart, both politically and financially, not to burn any more bridges with the BE.

It should be an interesting football and basketball season now that the target date is official and public.
Rutgers is going to be an intense football game. Basketball wise I feel like we're still going to play some of our rivals OOC, and perhaps UCONN joins us in the ACC someday, but after this year the depressing fact that Rutgers is our rival should be over.

Rutgers is going to be an intense football game. Basketball wise I feel like we're still going to play some of our rivals OOC, and perhaps UCONN joins us in the ACC someday, but after this year the depressing fact that Rutgers is our rival should be over.
Rutgers is our rival like SU was PSUs. Occassional victories over decades does not a rivalry make.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Can we pleaze stop calling rutgers our rival? They never have been...and never will be a rival of ours. Their program has had 2 maybe 3 OK years. Nothing more. I assumed the people that thought rutgers was relevant were new syracuse students that had no prior knowledge of football history, or rutgers fans who are dilusional.

Matter of fact their 2 years were not even OK...they were really just acceptable for a team that schedules community colleges and high school teams out of conference. ESPN hyped them up because they were grasping to be the network to fnd the next new team, or they were just bored. Pathetic

Agreed, there is no way Pitt will stay 2 more years. The question is how much will it cost them to leave a year early.

Dr Gross briefly mentioned yesterday his desire to continue to play BE schools out of conference in the future. I am very interested to see if SU will seriously pursue games OOC in basketball or football with former conference members. And if they do, what kind of reception they will get.

I would guess the series Dr Gross will try hardest to schedule will be men's basketball games with St John's and Georgetown. Last I heard, Georgetown was playing it close to the vest regarding whether they would be willing to continue the series. St John's? I have no idea.

Can we pleaze stop calling rutgers our rival? They never have been...and never will be a rival of ours. Their program has had 2 maybe 3 OK years. Nothing more. I assumed the people that thought rutgers was relevant were new syracuse students that had no prior knowledge of football history, or rutgers fans who are dilusional.
Here's how I know Rutgers isn't a rivalry--after this season, we will NEVER play them again. Rivals find a way to play each other because it is beneficial for both sides. There is no reason for us to play them. Just like there is no reason for us to play Colgate anymore. Rutgers isn't worth our time.

Relax...that's what I was getting at. It was a joke.

In all rezlity though...there are people out there that actually think we are rivals..and its frustrating as hell

In all rezlity though...there are people out there that actually think we are rivals..and its frustrating as hell
Yea thats why I said "the depressing fact that Rutgers is our rival will be over". I dont actually think they are our rival but given our level or terribleness in the past few years we've been dragged down into the sewer of college football and trash talking/battling for recruits with Rutgers.

Isn't 5 million what we already owed? So we're paying an additional 2.5 mil to get out a year yearly? That seems like a deal to me. It could've been 10 million right?

They ask for a mixed drink on your round...but buy a pitcher of draft beer on their round.

Couldn't agree more. Getting out a year early from what you agreed to previously and splitting the difference? We'll have made up that $2.5M by the 3rd football game of the 2013 season.

Very little that the Pitt AD has done over the years has impressed me.

This is a good example of why one should be very careful before resorting to litigation.

Once again, I think Dr. Gross and the University demonstrated the kind of patience and restraint that normally works more effectively than threats and sabre rattling.

If you try to embarras another party or try to intimidate another party, you take a chance that the other party will react badly when it comes time to make a deal.

The $7.5 million is really just a drop in the bucket. Syracuse University has done it the right way - very little residual anger - a smooth transition - no litigation costs.

Textbook.

Rutgers is our rival like SU was PSUs. Occassional victories over decades does not a rivalry make.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Bad analogy.

The PSU and SU rivalry was very heated - the best rivalry in the east for years and years.

but after this year the depressing fact that Rutgers is our rival should be over.
Rutgers was not, and never will be, Syracuse's rival in football nor men's basketball.

As I understand the Pitt argument it was the fact that they lost 2 potentially big home games in WVU and TCU by the league allowing both to leave "early" whereas SU only lost the TCU game home game (the Eers would have been a road game this year).

They also are using the SEC/Big East Challenge fiasco as another reason why they shouldn't have to pay $7.5 million.

In the "other considerations" category, Pitt supposedly does want to schedule a series with the Bearcats. They felt of the new BE teams, that developed into the best and most interesting match-up for them. And, of course, they still wouldn't mind playing St. John's at MSG.

Cheers,
Neil

Exactly, the $5M was sunk cost, paying a $2.5M premium to leave a year early with no fuss and no friction, freaking bargin of the century.

The return by having access to ACC payouts a year early, and the associated ticket sales for football, hoops, and lax will lead to multiples in return on that investment.

I would guess the series Dr Gross will try hardest to schedule will be men's basketball games with St John's and Georgetown. Last I heard, Georgetown was playing it close to the vest regarding whether they would be willing to continue the series. St John's? I have no idea.

I can't imagine why G'town wouldn't want to continue to schedule us, unless their administration is that bitter and short-sighted. We're a guaranteed sellout for them every time we visit, and a guaranteed national TV game. I mean someone's gotta fill that pro arena, and SMU, Houston, UCF, etc. sure as hell ain't going to do it.

As for St. John's, personally I'd be cool with us playing them at MSG every year. The place is anywhere from 60%-90% Orange fans anyway, so it's a nice virtual home game to have on the schedule. :)

Here's how I know Rutgers isn't a rivalry--after this season, we will NEVER play them again. Rivals find a way to play each other because it is beneficial for both sides. There is no reason for us to play them. Just like there is no reason for us to play Colgate anymore. Rutgers isn't worth our time.
Rutgers is Fredo.
fredo.jpg

Pitt will join when Syracuse joins. They will pay the $2.5MM or less, depending on their negotiations. Their is no way they stay in the Big East without revenue when they can make $14MM+ to offset the $2.5MM buyout.

Pitt has some logic to their suit in that WVU and TCU would bring in more fans for home games. They may get in teh ACC for a few bucks less than Syracuse, but the longer they drag it out, the more they will pay in legal fees. I would expect - and hope - this to be over within a couple more months.

I can't imagine why G'town wouldn't want to continue to schedule us, unless their administration is that bitter and short-sighted. We're a guaranteed sellout for them every time we visit, and a guaranteed national TV game. I mean someone's gotta fill that pro arena, and SMU, Houston, UCF, etc. sure as hell ain't going to do it.

As for St. John's, personally I'd be cool with us playing them at MSG every year. The place is anywhere from 60%-90% Orange fans anyway, so it's a nice virtual home game to have on the schedule. :)
JT III was noncommittal about continuing the series after SU beat his Hoyas again in the Dome last February. Here is what he said:

“They now fall into the category as every other out-of-conference,” opponent, he said. “There’s a finite number of games we can play out of conference. Do I like this series? Has this series been important to Georgetown? Yes. Has it been important to Syracuse? Yes. Has it been important to our conference? Yes. But they’re leaving. So now we’ll see.”

I suspect they won't play us OOC. Georgetown has a history of cowardice regarding playing strong programs OOC. Witness their refusal to play local rival Maryland. I think they know they are inferior, know their tiny fan base will result in every game being a home game for Syracuse and would rather play schools like Winston-Salem and Howard instead. It is a good strategy to ensure total irrelvance in the college basketball world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom