Going to miss Rafferty doing our games | Syracusefan.com

Going to miss Rafferty doing our games

That's it. I had to turn surround sound off. He's friggin awful.

That's it. I had to turn surround sound off. He's friggin awful.
It's funny, I've detested Gus Johnson for years because he's been just a screamer.
But I thought he did a nice job, relatively restrained today.

And as much as I liked Raf with Bilas and Sean McDonough, he's better in a two-man booth. Although it took him until 10:40 left in the 2nd half to comment on what a great defensive job D'Angelo Harrison was doing on Cooney.

Harrison has really changed his game. No more "Iverson light" on offense.

Wait, Gus Johnson was the one commentating that? I thought it was Raf and some calm guy lol.

I was shocked when they went to a shot of them and neither was wearing SJU gear. Raf was literally coaching them out loud for a fews possessions down the stretch. Gus makes me want to stick pencils in my ears.

Gus became noticeably vocally animated when St. John's tied the game and then went up for a very brief period of time. Any pretense of impartiality was at that point completely out of the question. I don't know what if any college affiliation Gus might have but for that brief period of time that St. John's tied and went ahead he was complete Homerville to the max.

That would be "Raftery", not "Rafferty". But I agree, he is the most entertaining and insightful color guy, along with Bilas. But he and Bilas are almost opposites in style, that's why they work so well together.

That would be "Raftery", not "Rafferty". But I agree, he is the most entertaining and insightful color guy, along with Bilas. But he and Bilas are almost opposites in style, that's why they work so well together.

Plus they have a great rapport with each other. Love when they bust on each other. The 2 of them and Sean are just like a bunch of guys watching a game together.

Liked him so much especially with Jay Bilas doing our games.

I loved his banter with Jay and Sean, but as to actually color commentary, I think he began slipping a few years ago. Too much a caricature of his pet sayings these days, kind of like VItale became 10-15 years ago.

Gus became noticeably vocally animated when St. John's tied the game and then went up for a very brief period of time. Any pretense of impartiality was at that point completely out of the question. I don't know what if any college affiliation Gus might have but for that brief period of time that St. John's tied and went ahead he was complete Homerville to the max.
I thought he was blatantly biased. He screamed like a little girl every time SJ did something positive.

Say what you want ( and I agree he is more commercialized today), but if there is one voice I associate with the biggest games in our program's history, THE seminal moments--it s Raftery. I will miss him greatly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom