Gonzaga/Saint Marys | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga/Saint Marys

longislandcuse

Living Legend
I suppose both teams are coincidentally playing their worst first halves of the season, since this is my first time watching them?..

I feel like I'm watching Boston College vs NC State.

Can't wait for the Zags to get bounced with their overhyped selves from their garbage conference.

...Saint Mary's is a projected 6 seed?

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I like to see the blonde squatch make mistakes like the turnover he just made.

Vitale said that Boeheim loves Gonzaga but their conference is very weak. They will definitely be challenge in the tourney.

Has a team ever received an at-large bid after beating only 1 tournament team, let alone a 6 seed, as they are currently projected? Unless Nevada wins the MWC Tourney (or gets a very unexpected bid) Dayton will be the only team they beat all year.

Has a team ever received an at-large bid after beating only 1 tournament team, let alone a 6 seed, as they are currently projected? Unless Nevada wins the MWC Tourney (or gets a very unexpected bid) Dayton will be the only team they beat all year.
Wow, is that right? How can that even happen?

Expecting a significant quantity of wins out of team like St/ Mary's doesn't really make sense. Although St. Mary's should extend themselves a little more -- the same thing happened last year.

Teams like St. Mary's are the exact reason why they are bringing in power rankings. You can't compare teams who don't have similar opportunities. They have lost complete faith in the RPI as a measure to compare P5+Mid Major teams, given the idiotic results the RPI produces between #25-$50 for about 7 or 8 mid majors.

But now they have a ranking season that will rank a very small amount of mid-majors as elite, I suspect teams that are in the top in all systems will get some respect. With an average power ranking of 15 accross 3 systems (KP, Sag, BPI) I would be surprised if they were lower than a 7 seed.

Expecting a significant quantity of wins out of team like St/ Mary's doesn't really make sense. Although St. Mary's should extend themselves a little more -- the same thing happened last year.

Teams like St. Mary's are the exact reason why they are bringing in power rankings. You can't compare teams who don't have similar opportunities. They have lost complete faith in the RPI as a measure to compare P5+Mid Major teams, given the idiotic results the RPI produces between #25-$50 for about 7 or 8 mid majors.

But now they have a ranking season that will rank a very small amount of mid-majors as elite, I suspect teams that are in the top in all systems will get some respect. With an average power ranking of 15 accross 3 systems (KP, Sag, BPI) I would be surprised if they were lower than a 7 seed.

That's the point. They are an established mid-major program. Not Gonzaga or Wichita St by any means, but not Middle Tenn, UNC Wilmington, Monmouth, etc... either. This is a program that has been to the Sweet 16 and made the NIT or NCAA 11 out of 13 years. Yet they never challenge themselves OOC. I don't even believe they make an effort to play in the pre-season tournaments.

I don't know why, but I like to see the blonde squatch make mistakes like the turnover he just made.

Can someone pull up his birth certificate, there is no way he is college age.

I've seen Saint Mary's play twice this season. And while they may have been their two worst performances of the year, I still have trouble thinking they would finish better than 15th in the ACC.

Gonzaga is legit. They have a number of transfers that performed well in power conferences. They have size and depth. Can they play D? I don't know.

St. Mary's is trash. Their only good win is Dayton. They played nobody all year and got smoked by Gonzaga 3x. I'm not sure how their resume is any different than say, Illinois State. Both should be fringe tourney teams. I thought you had to play and beat quality teams to actually earn a bid.

If they're a 6...PLEASE GIVE US THAT 11!

St. Mary's...Australia's College Team.

Half of the team is from down under.

Always disturbing to watch a bunch of white guys throw up brick after brick like St. Mary's did last night. Yet this is Gonzaga's primary competition. The three Pac-12 teams are licking their chops over the prospect that one of them will be locked up with the Zags out in San Jose.

Gonzaga in the WCC is like Syracuse being in the Patriot league.

St. Mary's...Australia's College Team.

Half of the team is from down under.
And none of them want to shoot. They dribble around passing up shots so that they can pass to the next guy and have him not shoot until the clock is running down and then they put up a worse shot than the 5 they passed up on earlier.

I respect the concept of "you can only beat the teams on your schedule", so I am comfortable with their inclusion. But I think a play-in game would not be inappropriate for them, advanced stats be damned.