Gonzaga's Basketball Forum | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga's Basketball Forum

Delusional? Aren't most of us grounded in reality and always half-expecting the worst??

Talk about delusional...Gonzaga fans...Win something for me one time. And what that guy posted...those are delusional thoughts from SU fans? Where did those random thoughts come from? Nothing I've seen. I know most on here believe Gonzaga is a tough out and it will take a great performance to beat them. They have the best post player in America.

Delusional? Aren't most of us grounded in reality and always half-expecting the worst??

Talk about delusional...Gonzaga fans...Win something for me one time. And what that guy posted...those are delusional thoughts from SU fans? Where did those random thoughts come from? Nothing I've seen. I know most on here believe Gonzaga is a tough out and it will take a great performance to beat them. They have the best post player in America.

Most people are level headed but some people are acting like MTSU was a tougher out than the Zags will be which is crazy.

Who expressed that opinion? I want to be sure to ignore his/her posts going forward.

The ones that have been downplaying the Zags but the ones who had a lot of concerns before MTSU. Pretty much the people who posted a lot of these things.

"Sabonis is a future NBA player inside, but he's slow and foul prone."

Roberson needs to eat in this game. No excuse not to have 11+ boards.

"Sabonis is prone to fouling and if we could get inside offensively I think that could be to our advantage. Wiltjer doesn't do much on the boards for his size"

"Not that they will push the Zags around, but they seem ready to play physical down low"

"I don't think they can defend us at all IMO."

"Their guard play is suspect."

"Average vs very good 3pt D. I hope they hang their hats on hitting 3's. Worked for Middle Central Tennessee SouthWestern State."

"I am not sure Gonzaga's guards know what they are getting into."

"The question I ask before we play anyone is: how's their zone offense?" Response " "Fools Gold.""

"Gonzaga is about equal to Florida State , and definitely not better"

"Gonzaga is big, but they are not that athletic."

"Wiltjer is defensively not just bad...but awful."

"our athleticism will negate some of their size. On defense, I don't think they are going to be able to stop our guards from penetrating. They can shoot the three, but if they rely on that, we will win this game. Our zone is on a whole new level right now."

They are even calling out Triano "Of course there's also a good chance some foreign white kid will score 40 points on 90% shooting from 3 point range, even if they don't currently have a player like this on their roster. "

"I like the fact that like MT the Zags just played their best game of the year possibly and I'm not sure Cuse has played a great game in the tourney yet"

Gonzaga fans and Kennel Club even called out "However, we should have the crowd in Chicago."

"Big guys are good at being big. Make them move, make them defend the perimeter, ball fakes, dribble drives... all of a sudden they are on skates."

"They don't shoot that well. Average. Our 3pt D is really good"

"Bring in Coleman to smack their tired bigs around in the second half."

"Depth is a factor as well. Right now Gonzaga only has 6 players really."

"Gonzaga has 2 guys hurt and their guard play isn't that good this year."

"Syracuse is better than Gonzaga is in every phase of the game"

"Tickets to Chicago are running $300 a ticket which means only a few Gonzaga fans will attend the game in Chicago as those people don't have disposable income like us Cuse fans."

"Zags have a PG guard named Perkins who wouldn't start for even Boston College."

"GU might have two players who could start for Wake Forest. That is how pitiful they are. They lucked out against an overrated and over confident Seton Hall and against one of those other pitiful West coast teams from the PAC -12."

Man, some of the quotes that they pulled from our thread are really pretty shameful. I'm glad at least someone over there pointed out that a lot of us are being pretty rational/know this is a game that could go either way.

You could easily poach enough quotes from that same thread that would garner 100 likes from Gonzaga fans and the trite "Classy" responses. They need a hell of a lot thicker skin that they show with that thread if they want to fish these waters.

You could easily poach enough quotes from that same thread that would garner 100 likes from Gonzaga fans and the trite "Classy" responses. They need a hell of a lot thicker skin that they show with that thread if they want to fish these waters.
Precisely. It's little man syndrome. They were saying the same crap in 2010; how'd that go for them?

The ones that have been downplaying the Zags but the ones who had a lot of concerns before MTSU. Pretty much the people who posted a lot of these things.
I follow this board fairly closely, and I don't recognize a third of those quotes. Although, I know there are delusional fans in every school's fan base.

By the way, who took the time to compile that list?

To be fair, I've seen the exact same thread posted on here numerous times over the years. The threads about the UConn board for example. It's just how these things work and every team's fans have some guys that get wayyy overconfident.

I follow this board fairly closely, and I don't recognize a third of those quotes. Although, I know there are delusional fans in every school's fan base.

By the way, who took the time to compile that list?

I don't know hahahahaha, somebody with a lot of time on their hands.

...fast break them out of the zone.
Here is the way it should go...Syracuse misses, Sabonis with the rebound, outlet to McClellan who beats them up the court. Key here is Eric needs to make good decisions, if he gets cut off don't force a bad shot, circle around and find Wiltjer for the three or Sabonis on the secondary break.
Either one will be open as the defense struggles to "zone up".
I don't think that's going to happen.

Man, they have some nasty "apparent" quotes from here. I'll admit I don't read every thread or post on here, but can say I certainly haven't read those kind of things. If they are on here, then I would surmise they are just some regular banter from fans that you can likely find on any fan forum. Just being positive or cocky I guess.

I haven't been a member here that long and can easily say the majority of people on here are up front on their assessment of our team and their opponents. Georgetown, Pittsburg and Kentucky being the exceptions. We are a very knowledgeable BB group.

I think 95% of the regulars on here have a very high respect for Gonzaga, their coach and their program. They have always competed strong any time I have watched them which, to be honest, isn't that often due to the time zones. I envision this game to be a tightly contested affair and the winning team will have certainly earned the W. It is probably correct to say that both teams did not expect to be in this position given the seasons they had. However, Sweet 16 is not enough for either of us now and I assume the teams will give it all on Friday.

GO ORANGE.

From the GU Board, I think we both have a mix of rational, realistic, thoughtful fans to go with the noisy fans who are always in emotional attack mode. Would someone be kind enough to give a player-by-player summary of the strengths and weaknesses of your starters and rotation guys? Here's one from me for us:

1 - Josh Perkins - RS Freshman PG STRENGTHS quick, heady, and has (sometimes phenomenal) court vision. Great floater and can shoot around bigs. quick off the bounce and never gets gassed. WEAKNESSES He was making lots of sloppy passes to go with the aforementioned phenomenal court vision that led to a terrible assist/TO ration earlier in the year. He's cleaned that up for most part. He's undersized, but the Zags have always relied on undersized PGs (Pangos, Stockton II)

2 - Kyle Dranginis - Senior SG/SF STRENGTHS long defensively, locks down well on the pick and roll switch, quick, athletic, can get hot shooting, has been known to out-hustle/jump bigs for boards, king of off-ball movement and sneaking open looks when defenses collapse or aren't looking WEAKNESSES Freethrow percentage has fallen off a cliff this year, shooting can get streaky, and he's been timid with open looks from behind the arch

3 - Eric McClellan - RS Senior SF/SG - STRENGTHS similar to Dranginis defensively, except maybe a bit more athletic, consistent shooter, can create opportunities cutting to the bucket WEAKNESSES he can get out of control if he gets rushed, sometimes gets into the air before deciding what he's going to do

4 - Kyle Wiljer - RS Senior PF - STRENGTHS Can shoot from anywhere with hands in his face, great back-to-the-basket game, ice freethrow shooter WEAKNESSES - a little soft on offense and defense, although he's showed some tenacity in the tournament, I wonder if the adrenaline and Senior anger are part of that. Slow (although if you asked us, we call it "patient") Reminds me a bit of Kelly Olynyk, except that Kelly hit the gym way harder to make up for it.

5 - Domantas Sabonis - Junior PF/Center - STRENGTHS He is tough, I don't know why SHU, Utah, and some 'cuse fans thought he was soft, but he's a battering ram on both sides. Last year that made defenses hack him, which led to a head of steam and technicals, but he's cleaned that up this year.He's also quick enough as a big to guard most other positions except for PG, especially if those positions call for it with a longer play-maker like BYU's Kyle Collinworth. He's fast, has great foot work, and more recently, has developed a face-up game with a shot. Defenses have been giving him space when he steps out to the arch. This made sense last year and even through November/December this year, but now he's been taking threes and making them. WEAKNESSES foul trouble.

SECOND STRING

2 - Silas Melson - Sophmore - STRENGTHS - Crazy bouncy and explosive athleticism, very long for his size, quick at getting his feet set for threes, WEAKNESSES 6'1", streaky shooter and can go cold offensively.
2 - Bryan Alberts (Probably won't play) - Freshman - STRENGTHS - Lights out shooter, good IQ offensively, good perimeter off-ball movement WEAKNESSES nothing special elsewhere
5 - Ryan Edwards - Sophmore - STRENGTHS - very big, good footwork, will go through anyone for a board, consistent freethrow shooter WEAKNESSES sloppy hands, needs to lean out, needs to work on his shooting near the rim, has no midrange or outside game. A summer hard at the gym

Usual line-ups (although I don't know what we'll see with your zone)

starting 5 obviously, Few has been keeping the 4 and 5 in as long as he can, we Edwards subbing in at the 5 to either give Sabonis a breather, or move Sabonis to the 4 and give Wiltjer a breather. Sabonis can play all 40 if he's not in foul trouble, Wiltjer has been known to get gassed, but he's looked ok for the past few months. Melson will sub into the 2, and for either Perkins, which puts McClellan at the 1, or a variation of Dranginis and Perkins with McClellan Sitting, or McClellan and Perkins with Dranginis sitting.

Hope this was helpful, I'm sure I'll get plenty of heat for more assessments from my side, so I'll edit accordingly.

Don't have much to add at this point other than to say "thanks" to the admin/mod for "approving" some new posters. Our board took care of a number of the "requests" for new members earlier today.

While it's true that GU needed to win the WCC tourney to get in ... it's also true that the Zags are playing very well. It should be a great college basketball game on Friday.

^^^ Just deleted your stuff so as not to make my post too long, but a quick rundown of our guys (that I'm sure others will chime in and disagree with):

Michael Gbinije: By far our most consistent player. Ball-handling duties are pretty evenly split, but he's the main ball-handler and creator on the team. His shot has improved a ton over the past year or two, as his shot selection has basically turned into the NBA version of Steph Curry (not as successful obviously, but he'll take multiple NBA-range 3's in our game). He (and basically everyone on the team) REALLY struggles at the free throw line though.

Trevor Cooney: Extremely inconsistent shooter, but he'll throw up 5 or 6 3-pointers in all likelihood. People look at him and assume he can't defend, but he has a knack for deflecting and stealing passes at the top of the zone. He's also our lone good free throw shooter. Like Gbinije, he'll attempt 3's no matter how deep they are, and often times, he'll be drifting a ton on his shots, which is a big factor in his inconsistency. He can penetrate a bit but is a pretty terrible finisher and isn't a particularly good passer when he drives either.

Malachi Richardson: Like the two above, he'll attempt 3's from anywhere on the court. He too is a bit inconsistent, but as the season has gone on, his penetrating has become a bigger and bigger part of his game. He does a very good job of drawing fouls, hanging in the air until the defense hits him before attempting his lay-ups. He's inconsistent at the line though. Defensively, he plays his role; deflecting passes, picking up some rebounds, etc.

Tyler Roberson: He's by far our best rebounder. He tries VERY hard to get rebounds and run the floor (but we rarely take advantage of the latter). He gets very lazy on defense though, which teams have caught onto and have started to exploit. I suspect you guys will probably try to get Wiltjer over to his side of the zone because he has a tendency to collapse and leave his area open/not pay attention to his area. Offensively, he won't do anything unless it's off an offensive rebound. He's a complete liability.

DaJuan Coleman: He's a good rebounder despite his lack of leaping ability. He's kinda short for a center, but he has a wide frame and uses his body well on the glass. He shows the occasional skill in the low-post, but he has a terrible tendency to put the ball down low when he catches the ball, so he turns easy lay-ups and dunks into blocks and steals.

Bench:
Tyler Lydon: I suspect he'll play a big role if we are to win. He'll play most of the minutes at C and perhaps some at PF. He's a very good spot-up shooter, can block shots, can run the pick and roll or pick and pop, and occasionally do something on the block. His biggest weakness is that he's very skinny and can get pushed around on the glass. Playing him at center will be a chess-match as he'll hopefully be able to stretch the defense out and exploit some weaknesses, but can also open up opportunities for Sabonis to beat him up on the glass.

Franklin Howard: He's started to take on a bigger role as the season goes on. He's easily the best passer on the team. Like you mentioned with one of your players, he shows some great court vision, but he also makes some silly passes that are easy turnovers. I think he's going to be a major contributor in the future for us, but for now, he's more of an x-factor/spark plug kind of guy. He keyed our comeback in the ACC Tournament against Pitt with his ability to penetrate and find teammates. Having said that, he can't shoot. At all. He makes Michael Carter-Williams look like Steph Curry. And he hasn't proven to really be able to finish around the rim yet either.

Overall, Syracuse pretty much wins whenever we shoot the 3 ball well and out-rebound our opponent. If we lose on the glass, we probably lose, and if we lose on the glass AND shoot poorly from 3, we'll be blown out. Having said that, the 3's that we attempt aren't really something you can defend. Unlike previous years, we move the ball a lot and end up taking very deep 3's that make me shake my head, but go in at a surprisingly high rate. Malachi's progress as a penetrator, Lydon's continued aggressiveness, and Howard's all-around development have really keyed our recent improvements and have made us a much better team.

Other Syracuse posters can feel free to poke holes in my scouting report, but this is basically the way I see the team this year.

Last edited:
^^^ Just deleted your stuff so as not to make my post too long, but a quick rundown of our guys (that I'm sure others will chime in and disagree with):

Michael Gbinije: By far [ . . .]

Thanks, I'll copy this over, credit to you.

This cracked me up

"Syracuse fans might be the second most obnoxious and delusional fan base I've ever encountered. Granted no fan base can even touch Kentucky in terms of how great their fans think their team of one and dones always is..."

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56785-Gonzaga-is-in-deep-trouble-against-Syracuse

They've had a pretty good(not great) program for a long time now. You'd think their fans would've learned not to act so mid-majory by now.