Gonzaga's Basketball Forum | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga's Basketball Forum

It's amazing (except it's not) how we went from most people seemingly thinking we didn't deserve to be in the tournament to where we are now.
Most people still don't think we should be in. Amazing how none of them must have watched our games this weekend.

I don't take any of those comments as saying mtsu is better than Gonzaga. Not a one of them.

That post wasn't to prove that, that post was to show some of the comments that it looks like we're taking Gonzaga lightly which I believe some people are. Not many people outside of myself and a couple of others were taking MTSU lightly, I personally don't have a hard time admitting that.

This cracked me up

"Syracuse fans might be the second most obnoxious and delusional fan base I've ever encountered. Granted no fan base can even touch Kentucky in terms of how great their fans think their team of one and dones always is..."

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56785-Gonzaga-is-in-deep-trouble-against-Syracuse

I imagine most of those quotes are embellished made up quotes to fire up the Zags. It's probably BS. I saw a ton of people making statements saying the Zags is going to be tough game for us. I saw people say they wished Utah won. It's probably made up BS.

That post wasn't to prove that, that post was to show some of the comments that it looks like we're taking Gonzaga lightly which I believe some people are. Not many people outside of myself and a couple of others were taking MTSU lightly, I personally don't have a hard time admitting that.

Who? Put up or shut up.

Delusional? Aren't most of us grounded in reality and always half-expecting the worst??

Talk about delusional...Gonzaga fans...Win something for me one time. And what that guy posted...those are delusional thoughts from SU fans? Where did those random thoughts come from? Nothing I've seen. I know most on here believe Gonzaga is a tough out and it will take a great performance to beat them. They have the best post player in America.

My thoughts exactly.

Melancer46 said:
Man, some of the quotes that they pulled from our thread are really pretty shameful. I'm glad at least someone over there pointed out that a lot of us are being pretty rational/know this is a game that could go either way.

Meh. The plucked some of mine out of context. I think it's kind of an honor actually ;)

Most people are level headed but some people are acting like MTSU was a tougher out than the Zags will be which is crazy.

Who said that? Put up or shut up.

This cracked me up

"Syracuse fans might be the second most obnoxious and delusional fan base I've ever encountered. Granted no fan base can even touch Kentucky in terms of how great their fans think their team of one and dones always is..."

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56785-Gonzaga-is-in-deep-trouble-against-Syracuse
I think we have a pretty well-informed and level-headed fan base. Everything I've seen has been that we understand that Gonzaga is going to be a real hard game for us. Their advantage is our disadvantage . We make stars out of average post players with a 12 footer. Think that big goofball from Michigan in 2013. However, our advantage is their disadvantage. Their guards aren't all that good. However, this is one game where we'll probably see Coleman, Lydon and Robeson (maybe even with Malachi at the two) at the same time. That's a pretty big line-up: 6'10", 6'9", 6'8", 6'7", 6'6"

gorgonzola you stinky cheese team !!!

monty-python-i-fart-in-your-general-direction-t-shirt-5.jpg

It's amazing (except it's not) how we went from most people seemingly thinking we didn't deserve to be in the tournament to where we are now.

We need a 2 week ban for the posters here who were so negative and wrong.

Precisely. It's little man syndrome. They were saying the same crap in 2010; how'd that go for them?

Some people are just incapable of giving praise because it makes them feel inadequate.

I follow this board fairly closely, and I don't recognize a third of those quotes. Although, I know there are delusional fans in every school's fan base.

By the way, who took the time to compile that list?

I think exactly the same thing.

^^^ Just deleted your stuff so as not to make my post too long, but a quick rundown of our guys (that I'm sure others will chime in and disagree with):

Michael Gbinije: By far our most consistent player. Ball-handling duties are pretty evenly split, but he's the main ball-handler and creator on the team. His shot has improved a ton over the past year or two, as his shot selection has basically turned into the NBA version of Steph Curry (not as successful obviously, but he'll take multiple NBA-range 3's in our game). He (and basically everyone on the team) REALLY struggles at the free throw line though.

Trevor Cooney: Extremely inconsistent shooter, but he'll throw up 5 or 6 3-pointers in all likelihood. People look at him and assume he can't defend, but he has a knack for deflecting and stealing passes at the top of the zone. He's also our lone good free throw shooter. Like Gbinije, he'll attempt 3's no matter how deep they are, and often times, he'll be drifting a ton on his shots, which is a big factor in his inconsistency. He can penetrate a bit but is a pretty terrible finisher and isn't a particularly good passer when he drives either.

Malachi Richardson: Like the two above, he'll attempt 3's from anywhere on the court. He too is a bit inconsistent, but as the season has gone on, his penetrating has become a bigger and bigger part of his game. He does a very good job of drawing fouls, hanging in the air until the defense hits him before attempting his lay-ups. He's inconsistent at the line though. Defensively, he plays his role; deflecting passes, picking up some rebounds, etc.

Tyler Roberson: He's by far our best rebounder. He tries VERY hard to get rebounds and run the floor (but we rarely take advantage of the latter). He gets very lazy on defense though, which teams have caught onto and have started to exploit. I suspect you guys will probably try to get Wiltjer over to his side of the zone because he has a tendency to collapse and leave his area open/not pay attention to his area. Offensively, he won't do anything unless it's off an offensive rebound. He's a complete liability.

DaJuan Coleman: He's a good rebounder despite his lack of leaping ability. He's kinda short for a center, but he has a wide frame and uses his body well on the glass. He shows the occasional skill in the low-post, but he has a terrible tendency to put the ball down low when he catches the ball, so he turns easy lay-ups and dunks into blocks and steals.

Bench:
Tyler Lydon: I suspect he'll play a big role if we are to win. He'll play most of the minutes at C and perhaps some at PF. He's a very good spot-up shooter, can block shots, can run the pick and roll or pick and pop, and occasionally do something on the block. His biggest weakness is that he's very skinny and can get pushed around on the glass. Playing him at center will be a chess-match as he'll hopefully be able to stretch the defense out and exploit some weaknesses, but can also open up opportunities for Sabonis to beat him up on the glass.

Franklin Howard: He's started to take on a bigger role as the season goes on. He's easily the best passer on the team. Like you mentioned with one of your players, he shows some great court vision, but he also makes some silly passes that are easy turnovers. I think he's going to be a major contributor in the future for us, but for now, he's more of an x-factor/spark plug kind of guy. He keyed our comeback in the ACC Tournament against Pitt with his ability to penetrate and find teammates. Having said that, he can't shoot. At all. He makes Michael Carter-Williams look like Steph Curry. And he hasn't proven to really be able to finish around the rim yet either.

Overall, Syracuse pretty much wins whenever we shoot the 3 ball well and out-rebound our opponent. If we lose on the glass, we probably lose, and if we lose on the glass AND shoot poorly from 3, we'll be blown out. Having said that, the 3's that we attempt aren't really something you can defend. Unlike previous years, we move the ball a lot and end up taking very deep 3's that make me shake my head, but go in at a surprisingly high rate. Malachi's progress as a penetrator, Lydon's continued aggressiveness, and Howard's all-around development have really keyed our recent improvements and have made us a much better team.

Other Syracuse posters can feel free to poke holes in my scouting report, but this is basically the way I see the team this year.

Sweet 16 baby!

Well because your reading comprehension skills are poor at best, I said acting like it. The same people who said that we shouldn't take MTSU lightly are acting like Gonzaga should be on problem. This is simple to find and to read, well, simple for some but with your reading comprehension skills I can see how that is very difficult for you. Don't worry, I understand, my ex's 6 year old had the same issue when he was reading and it took a lot of work to have him focus during his studies and reading. I have no doubt that you'll get there one day too.

You have nothing. I figured as much.

Meh. The plucked some of mine out of context. I think it's kind of an honor actually ;)

There were probably an equal number of comments praising the Zags and saying it's going to be a tough game but those were ignored. Just look at the General's comments. That about covers it better than anyone.

This guy cherry picked and took quotes out of context. Here is mine "Sabonis is prone to fouling and if we could get inside offensively I think that could be to our advantage. Wiltjer doesn't do much on the boards for his size". I don't see how this is negative or saying anything about how bad Gonzaga is and how we will whoop them.

Wiltjer is 6'10" and gets 6 boards a game. Sabonis, I believe, leads the team in fouls and fouled out four times.

Thanks, I'll copy this over, credit to you.

No problem at all. If you have any more specific questions or anything, feel free. I'm sure we'll have a bunch of people willing to answer.

Are you high? I don't even know what you're asking. Keep trollin away.

"that post was to show some of the comments that it looks like we're taking Gonzaga lightly which I believe some people are."

You are so full of hot air. Just exactly "which I believe some people are" are you referring to? I have not seen anyone here say we are going to blow out the zags. So what are you basing your claim on. Oh, never mind. You are low information poster just making stuff up.

I'm not a big fan of this matchup because of the Zag's size and their ability to put a big shooter at the soft spot at the FT line. But historically, we've all heard a lot of team talk tough about how well they shoot, and then see our zone in person and the deer in headlights effect goes into full force. In 2010, we played the Zags in the NCAA's in Buffalo. Granted, that was pretty much a home game and it may have been the best defensive team we've ever had (even with no AO). The Zags team that year was so-so (an 8 seed however) that didnt shoot the three that much. 35% on that season and they shot 3-21 against us in the game. We won by 22.

Not saying its going to repeat itself, but not all zone's are created equal.

This guy cherry picked and took quotes out of context. Here is mine "Sabonis is prone to fouling and if we could get inside offensively I think that could be to our advantage. Wiltjer doesn't do much on the boards for his size". I don't see how this is negative or saying anything about how bad Gonzaga is and how we will whoop them.

Wiltjer is 6'10" and gets 6 boards a game. Sabonis, I believe, leads the team in fouls and fouled out four times.

To be honest; 4 foul outs for an aggressive center is not "foul prone," and 6 boards a game is pretty good for a big that spends a lot of time shooting 3s...

To be honest; 4 foul outs for an aggressive center is not "foul prone," and 6 boards a game is pretty good for a big that spends a lot of time shooting 3s...

Take it as you will but the main point still stands.

I'm not a big fan of this matchup because of the Zag's size and their ability to put a big shooter at the soft spot at the FT line. But historically, we've all heard a lot of team talk tough about how well they shoot, and then see our zone in person and the deer in headlights effect goes into full force. In 2010, we played the Zags in the NCAA's in Buffalo. Granted, that was pretty much a home game and it may have been the best defensive team we've ever had (even with no AO). The Zags team that year was so-so (an 8 seed however) that didnt shoot the three that much. 35% on that season and they shot 3-21 against us in the game. We won by 22.

Not saying its going to repeat itself, but not all zone's are created equal.

The Zags are very hot team right now. Our defense is playing well. But we are a little weak on center. It's going to be a tough game.