Good and Bad vs LSU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Good and Bad vs LSU

JJ is by far biggest issue we have right now. He was suppose to be a lead guy for us. These other guys were expected to be role players.
JJ played really poorly yesterday. But he’s been very good at driving to the basket, though he’s been inconsistent at finishing at the rim. He’ll improve in that area, especially as he starts to draw more fouls. The refs are not calling his defenders for many fouls, even though he usually gets fouled on his drives, and I think that’s affecting him. The biggest issue, as everyone had talked about, is his shooting and shooting form. He was such a good shooter in high school. I hope he’ll improve as the season goes on. I think he needs to focus on getting better at finishing at the rim, making some floaters and shorter 10-15 foot jumpers, and then worry about improving your 3-point shooting once you get more consistent from closer in.

JJ played really poorly yesterday. But he’s been very good at driving to the basket, though he’s been inconsistent at finishing at the rim. He’ll improve in that area, especially as he starts to draw more fouls. The refs are not calling his defenders for many fouls, even though he usually gets fouled on his drives, and I think that’s affecting him. The biggest issue, as everyone had talked about, is his shooting and shooting form. He was such a good shooter in high school. I hope he’ll improve as the season goes on. I think he needs to focus on getting better at finishing at the rim, making some floaters and shorter 10-15 foot jumpers, and then worry about improving your 3-point shooting once you get more consistent from closer in.
Let's hope. We need him. It's hard to say he's been a positive though. He's seventh on the team in BPM and 6th in win shares while having more usage than anyone outside of Mintz and Bell.

Pretty easy.
The good:

BELL / MINTZ
BELL / MINTZ
BELL / MINTZ
BEN MINTZ ?

Attachments

• IMG_5684.gif
    IMG_5684.gif
    699 KB · Views: 46
I say let Cuffe and Cope split time at the 2 and sit JJ until his shoulder is healed.

I say let Cuffe and Cope split time at the 2 and sit JJ until his shoulder is healed.
Copes usage is already higher than it should be. Why is this still a thing? Cope shoots about as well as JJ, without the excuse of a jacked up shoulder.

Copes usage is already higher than it should be. Why is this still a thing? Cope shoots about as well as JJ, without the excuse of a jacked up shoulder.
Fair point. Then Cuffe gets the starting nod.

This is where I am at. I’ve seen nothing to convince me that we have made changes vs the quality of opposition. The offense did seem more structured at times… just not consistently so. The defense seemed unorganized as ever and LSU had plenty of good looks.
I tend to lean in your direction but at the same time I feel like the team is playing together more so each game. Fortunately Red has enough players to not have to depend on a set 6 or 7. It may be more my wishing than actual results but I think we are getting a bit better each game. Keep it up Orange!

Hakeem percentage is blocks+steals.
You need to sign up, but you get access to one teams' basic stats (SU natch). The full site is really powerful and there are a ton of things you can customize for $40/month. I played with it a bit last year on the free trial and you can get deep into individual players (shot heat maps, percentage rankings, etc.). I only have the basic free account, but I'm debating the paid user account which gives the individual stats, advanced tools, and DII stats as well. Then there is the third option which is for teams and advance scouts (and I'm sure that is $$$$).
Thanks for this. Got down a rabbit hole with this and saw we are shooting 17%(9-52) on midrange 2's for the season. We might want to stop taking those shots altogether. Holy hell that is bad. Looks like we are good at finishing at the rim and corner 3's mostly thanks to Bell and slightly less Taylor.

Thanks for this. Got down a rabbit hole with this and saw we are shooting 17%(9-52) on midrange 2's for the season. We might want to stop taking those shots altogether. Holy hell that is bad. Looks like we are good at finishing at the rim and corner 3's mostly thanks to Bell and slightly less Taylor.
It's a terrible website for my work productivity during the season.

ETA: it can get even worse because you can make your own graphs with various metrics and see how one team's players compare to the rest of the conference (I think to compare to all of D1 or P5 may need the paid subscription, I can't remember).

Bad

Starling played as bad a game as you will ever see an SU player have. Im not sure what the solution is here. He looks like a broken man.
Eh... AA said he was good. What do we make of that? He was BAD BAD

Knowing what I (a pretty casual basketball fan all things considered) know about basketball offense, I want to throw something every time one of our guys dribbles forward so they can take a fade away with one foot inside the three point line instead of just going up for a three.

This is my biggest complaint about the coaching so far. The idiotic long range twos.

Everything else going wrong may or may not be the coaches fault, but that bad shot should get you pulled to talk about strategy. It shouldn't keep happening.

There should bea half dozen of those a game, and only when the alternative is a shot clock violation.

j.j. and judah look pretty interchangeable. what we lack is a two who can shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom