Good and not so good | Syracusefan.com

Good and not so good

GoSU96

Living Legend
GMc has a lot of work to do.

Good to see the run game go well yesterday and that is a carry over from last year. Consistently ran the ball well all year, it took Marrone 3+ years to get the run game untracked, last thing to turn around.

The pass game on the other hand, whoa Nelly.

Since the Tulane game, six passing TD's in 11 games, and one by the Punter/Holder on the goal line against an FCS team. One game over 200 yds, average of 151 yds per. One game of over 10 yds per completion, that was GT 10.2, a game that was 13 of 29 for 133 yds and 4.6 per attempt. Average per attempt over that time, 5.1 yds.

The pass game has to get better or this is going to be a really tough year. The schedule going forward features MUCH better defenses than they have seen to date.

I think it's tough to gauge this offense as we've really only played one game IMO. Nova to me, was a What game. Against CMU we got back our offensive line and Hunt.

I agree about the schedule and I'd love to see us put up better passing numbers.

Around the goal line, I do think, FSU/Clemson aside, the Hunt read option is pretty legit and will rack up TDs at a good clip.

There is a lot of improvement that needs to be done in many areas. I believe that it can be accomplished from what I see and I like the direction things are going especially for an away game which I think a lot of people seem to forget was the first for many freshmen yesterday...to their credit.

The low number of yards per reception and yards per pass attempt are the thing to worry about, not the pass TDs. Hunt's running gobbles up a lot of plays that potentially would be TD throws.

I'm optimistic that we see improvement in the passing yardage this season. My guess is if you charted the mean and medium yardage of the passing plays the numbers wouldn't be too far from each other, since we just don't get many long yardage outliers. That will hopefully change as the better talent settles in and the offense executes better, but it certainly seems to be a function of the offense. If the short passes are basically a long handoff as the announcers love saying, it's not surprising to see lower yardage statistics than you'd expect from an offense that doesn't do that as much.

Running game is a puzzle -- depended on the QB, the emerging #5 RB, and AAM. Can that repeat?

Passing game -- so many receivers yesterday. Is that what we are? Broyld and a bunch of Joes?

Yards per reception are also skewed by the screen passes. GMac likes to use those as substitutes for running plays.

I think it's tough to gauge this offense as we've really only played one game IMO. Nova to me, was a What game. Against CMU we got back our offensive line and Hunt.

I agree about the schedule and I'd love to see us put up better passing numbers.

Around the goal line, I do think, FSU/Clemson aside, the Hunt read option is pretty legit and will rack up TDs at a good clip.

It's NOT one game. It's the last 11.

GoSU96 said:

Not really. They've revamped enough that this years O should be judged on its own.

Also that pass to Estime for the TD was a good call, read, pass and catch. Lots so reason for optimism In the passing game.

I don't think it's fair to translate last year into this year. Hunt in his first year, inexperienced OC and very mediocre WRs.

This year Hunt has a year under his belt, McDonald has some experience and we upgraded the WRs.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of improvements needed in the passing game but I'd say more data, this year, is needed.

Not really. They've revamped enough that this years O should be judged on its own.

Also that pass to Estime for the TD was a good call, read, pass and catch. Lots so reason for optimism In the passing game.
That should've been a TD the first time as well. Estime just dropped it.

Running game is a puzzle -- depended on the QB, the emerging #5 RB, and AAM. Can that repeat?

Passing game -- so many receivers yesterday. Is that what we are? Broyld and a bunch of Joes?

Dunkin Doughnuts?

Revamped? It's the exact same level of production as last year, and against a FCS and a MAC opponent.

Nova, 17pts and 275 yds in regulation.

CMU, 31 pts on offense.

Lot of rushing yds, pedestrian passing yds (same profile as last year).

I don't think it's fair to translate last year into this year. Hunt in his first year, inexperienced OC and very mediocre WRs.

This year Hunt has a year under his belt, McDonald has some experience and we upgraded the WRs.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of improvements needed in the passing game but I'd say more data, this year, is needed.

With all that, why aren't they better than last year?

With all that, why aren't they better than last year?

They ran the ball down CMU's throat why do something that might not be as effective? They couldn't stop it and take what the defense gives you and you then take it and ram it down their throats until they prove they can.

Revamped? It's the exact same level of production as last year, and against a FCS and a MAC opponent.

CMU, 31 pts on offense.

That sounds like Stanford. They've done ok with that formula.

I don't count Nova. Maybe I'm wrong in doing so but I'm not going to judge us on that game. In my view, we've played one real game and that was against CMU.

i think the big issue is that hunt still is late making the reads, it caused the throws to get to the wrong shoulder and he misses the wide open plays that lead to bigger yards. he makes up for it with good tough running plays, but still every drive tends to be a grinder and then we struggle to get into the endzone if he doesnt run the ball. have to believe we have some plays that have not been used yet that we will see this week. the WR are for the most part making the tough catches. far fewer drops than the Vill game. we have yet to really see a WR have any space, too many throws into 2-3-4 cover guys means there have to be guys open that we are not seeing.

The greatest weakness this team has had in the last two years is at WR. The stats pointed out here are a reflection of not having talent that could get open down the field consistently. This is the biggest thing that has to change for the offense to flourish. Two games into this season, verdict is still out.

GMc has a lot of work to do.

Good to see the run game go well yesterday and that is a carry over from last year. Consistently ran the ball well all year, it took Marrone 3+ years to get the run game untracked, last thing to turn around.

The pass game on the other hand, whoa Nelly.

Since the Tulane game, six passing TD's in 11 games, and one by the Punter/Holder on the goal line against an FCS team. One game over 200 yds, average of 151 yds per. One game of over 10 yds per completion, that was GT 10.2, a game that was 13 of 29 for 133 yds and 4.6 per attempt. Average per attempt over that time, 5.1 yds.

The pass game has to get better or this is going to be a really tough year. The schedule going forward features MUCH better defenses than they have seen to date.
Hunt was on the money most of the day with one dropped and one mental mistake by receiver causing him to lose two TD throws. We simply didn't need to throw the ball in the second half so I think your evaluation is on the harsh side. Clearly it will get tougher but everyone knows that.

CMU, 31 pts on offense.

I thought you wanted us to be a running team? Because that's what would fit the talent best, you thought.

CMU, 31 pts on offense.

I thought you wanted us to be a running team? Because that's what would fit the talent best, you thought.

I'm happy they ran the ball well yesterday, in fact I said that it's GOOD.

But if you are throwing the ball 30 times, you should be north of 200 yds.

Yeah, passing game leaves a lot to be desired. I can remember 1 pass over 20 yards yesterday. Have to at least threaten to stretch the field.

Also that hunt throw/pitch to the rb was one of the worst plays I've seen. I hope that wasn't designed

Fair enough. Does seem like we waste a lot of passing plays on 2 or 3 yard gains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom