Good Article In P-S on Ashton Broyld | Syracusefan.com

Good Article In P-S on Ashton Broyld

He's definitely getting screwed right now. Get rid of the H-Back position and play him and Estime at WR.

He's definitely getting screwed right now. Get rid of the H-Back position and play him and Estime at WR.

But does he or did he ever actually play H-Back?

He was a slot receiver. Our problem is too many slot receivers (Estime, Broyld, Clark), not enough outside guys.

Can't tell me that Broyld wouldnt have done a comparable job to Hunt this year. His position is quaterback, thats where hes going to have the ball in his hands the most. As a JR next year that ship has sailed, and unforunately i think cuse fans are gonna be stuck with the question "What if."

He would be sick as an Attackman on the lacrosse field. Desko...

This reminds me of DC Jefferson from Rutgers. Nationally ranked quaterback that turned into a serviceable tight end. He got his shot at the NFL, drafted in the 7th round however he was 6'6 to Broyld's 6'3

For a guy with character questions coming in, he is showing admirable restraint here. There is no way he's watching Hunt without thinking "I'm so much better"

True, but if he wants to play on Sundays, I'd also guess he knows his own limitations and that he'd have a better chance at another position.

The discussion of him moving to defense will pick up a lot of steam I bet this offseason. Maybe as soon as bowl practices, should we earn our right to have those. He still has a redshirt year too.

you place the cattle, wherever they can help you win the game.

its possible this guy could be a beast if given the opportunity to focus on 1 spot.

im with danny, move him to LB this spring.

in the mean time, find a way to win a damn game.

if he can help at G or T?? then so be it.

I don't hold the decline in receptions against him. Nobody's catching a lot of passes right now.

If he's jonesing for the offense then he should transfer and hit a MAC school where he'll light em up after sitting a year. And then Millhouse and I will contemplate what could have been here. I think that's most likely.

he cant throw to be a QB. not quick enough for RB, not fast enough for WR. Too small for TE.
he drops passes too often. his biggest asset is he is elusive and makes the first guy miss. Watch the FSU game. they would miss him and then turn around and catch him from behind..

I don't hold the decline in receptions against him. Nobody's catching a lot of passes right now.
he caught about 3rd of his passes in the 1st 2 games from Allen.....

His perfect position would be like Tebucky Jones playing at safety, fast enough, and big enough to punish any receivers, whether WR or Tight Ends.

The tone of the article seems to imply that Broyld was jerked around by the coaching staff. I always assumed when he was recruited he was promised a chance to compete at QB, which he was provided. He was subsequently switched to RB because he was much better at running the ball than throwing it. But with the emergence of Smith and PTG, he was buried on the RB depth chart so he was moved to WR. Others have posted about Broyld's apparent resistance to playing on the other side of the ball. It seems to me the coaches have just been trying to find a position to get him on the field, get the ball in his hands, and make use of his athletic talent.

Can't tell me that Broyld wouldnt have done a comparable job to Hunt this year. His position is quaterback, thats where hes going to have the ball in his hands the most. As a JR next year that ship has sailed, and unforunately i think cuse fans are gonna be stuck with the question "What if."
The problem is the WRs. Ashton would have more rushing yards and would have been comically bad at everything else.

at least somebody was in the area code.

You seem to have forgotten Drew's rocket throws to the sideline vs Penn St. 5 yards over the head of the coaches on the sidelines. When Hunt misses it's not by much.

I'll say what I did when he was in HS (per one of his coaches). If he wants to play for pay it would have to be on defense. Not a QB, not a RB, not a WR. He chose SU for a number of reasons but one of them was for a shot at QB. Everyone else said no pretty much to that shot. He has 2 years left. He has to make the move now or it will be too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, I think it is so silly and juvenile for the P-S to interview his father for that article (and I have not been anti P-S like many here). MAYBE if Broyld was burried on the bench, but he's played in every game (at least this season).

My main point here is that Broyld is going to get better. He has, if I am not mistaken, perhaps 3 games remaining in his sophomore season (yes, he went to Milford for a year). So, he has the potential to play 24-28 more games at SU (have to account for slot in back-to-back championship games in '14 and '15!).

He will get better. He will find a position. MAYBE it is on defense. My (amateur) guess is that it is not.

I just don't think it makes much sense to get too caught up in this (and write an article in the newspaper). He is an athlete. The other teams know this and because we don't have any world beaters at WR, they shade toward him.

And the QB (who I favor) is not Joe Montana. No blame here. Just the equation at hand.

I add this all up and see a kid who is facing a small dose of adversity, but has the profile and skills to see better days ahead. Broyld and SU football will be the benefactor.

BTW, three examples of SU wideouts that thrived especially as upper classmen: Morant, Sales, Harrison.

Poo. Marrone did that kid a disservice. He should have been groomed for middle linebacker. If he was against it, he should have spent last year working the Jugs machine and running routes.

Last year was a wasted year. Programs like SU can't afford that luxury.

Put him at QB. He hates contact, I can't see him succeeding anywhere else.

The kid hates contact, our WR aren't good, and our RBs are pretty good and we have a lot of them.

If GMD is really doing it to bring in WRs next year and really the year after he could be a key part of a really great fast break crew.