Good article on Ashton Broyld | Syracusefan.com

Good article on Ashton Broyld

ottodaorange

Starter
Today's Bud column takes a look at what the future may hold for Ashton. I know most on here have assumed he will not play QB. The main criticism I have heard is that he had trouble learning the playbook. Just about any frosh QB would have that problem. Even McNabb red shirted, and Ashton reminds me of him. If he can throw the ball downfield with accuracy is my main concern. If he can, I believe he is the QB of the future for us.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/02/poliquin_perhaps_the_talents_o.html#incart_river

Today's Bud column takes a look at what the future may hold for Ashton. I know most on here have assumed he will not play QB. The main criticism I have heard is that he had trouble learning the playbook. Just about any frosh QB would have that problem. Even McNabb red shirted, and Ashton reminds me of him. If he can throw the ball downfield with accuracy is my main concern. If he can, I believe he is the QB of the future for us.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/02/poliquin_perhaps_the_talents_o.html#incart_river
He can't, and he isn't. Some of us aren't assuming. He couldn't figure out the playbook at RB. That's the easiest position on the field to learn. If you can't master that, how can you know where your receivers are going while a 250 lb LB is coming towards you.

So as spring begins to bloom across the fields of central ny will the orange known as Ash bloom as well. He makes me sick

He couldn't figure out the playbook at RB.

Exactly, he wasn't asked to know the playbook as a QB he needed to know it as a RB.

He can't, and he isn't. Some of us aren't assuming. He couldn't figure out the playbook at RB. That's the easiest position on the field to learn. If you can't master that, how can you know where your receivers are going while a 250 lb LB is coming towards you.

And yet he was still a first down machine when he was on the field.

And yet he was still a first down machine when he was on the field.
Machine? I remember 3 runs at most that went for a first down. I like his athleticism, but you need to learn the playbook. No excuses. If you can't learn a playbook you shouldn't be in college.

One of the best athletes I played university football with never dressed a game for our team because our DC could not trust him with all the defensive assignments and checks. He transferred, was a league all-star, and CFL draft pick. He is now onto his second contract with the Stampeders.

Point is that some coaches value assignment precision over athleticism, and others, vice-versa. I have a feeling (just a feeling) Marrone was the former and GMC will be the latter.

Broyld will be on the field and contributing this fall, just not at QB.

Machine? I remember 3 runs at most that went for a first down. I like his athleticism, but you need to learn the playbook. No excuses. If you can't learn a playbook you shouldn't be in college.

Interesting take I think you are correct about him not being our QB of the future due to his lack of knowledge when it comes to the playbook. With that said there are plenty of great athletes that made it in college with out knowing there playbooks. I think Ashton will be a little bit of a let down when it's all said and done. I am basing that off of people’s expectations of him. He will have some special plays wearing Orange he just won’t have a McNabb type of career like so many had hoped.

Will be interesting to see how he performs this spring.

Will be interesting to see how he performs this spring.
Yes -- let's hold those premature judgments for a few weeks.
Fact is that none of the other QBs saw the field in any capacity as a frosh. Not Nassib, or Loeb, or Hunt, or Kinder.
None of the other RBs on the team made a dent in the record books as a frosh.
None of the WRs who will compete this Spring did much as a frosh.
Ashton messed up on some assignments (making the transition to RB), but also showed enough to play in half the games and showed promise in running the ball. Can't remember another Marrone recruit, at a skill position, who did better as a frosh.
We have a new OC, a new RB coach, a new QB coach -- clean slate for Ashton and others who are competing for roles.

Bottom line: AB is not the first kid that wasn't a rocket scientist to find his way onto a NCAA roster. Other programs find ways to get talent on the field. SU needs to figure this out and stop hiding behind the "playbook" issue (if that's really the case).

Bottom line: AB is not the first kid that wasn't a rocket scientist to find his way onto a NCAA roster. Other programs find ways to get talent on the field. SU needs to figure this out and stop hiding behind the "playbook" issue (if that's really the case).
"hiding behind the playbook issue"? Are you kidding? If you're going the wrong way on a handoff that's not SU's fault. Players need to be held accountable. I think Ashton has a change to be very good for us, but he needs to make a concerted effort to learn the playbook and realize there's a reason he didn't get on the field.

how do we know Broyld doesnt know the playbook?

He ran into Prince in the backfield twice in the same game going the wrong way when he wasn't even getting the ball, as an RB, tells me he doesn't know the position of RB.

As a QB, you have to pretty much know every assignment on the field, all 3 receivers for your reads and tight ends. Call out the backfield blocking and move them around if needed and know how the line is blocking.

He couldn't get into proper position at RB, much less know all of the above.

Put him at RB and keep him there with a few Slashton plays on the edge and passes out of the backfield. Call it the Slashton package and avoid motion at all costs when he is out there.

Just my opinion.

"hiding behind the playbook issue"? Are you kidding? If you're going the wrong way on a handoff that's not SU's fault. Players need to be held accountable. I think Ashton has a change to be very good for us, but he needs to make a concerted effort to learn the playbook and realize there's a reason he didn't get on the field.
Sure -- Ashton and the other RBs, QBs, H-backs, need to learn the plays and be held accountable. No great revelation there.

The three primary reasons Ashton didn't get on the field (in addition to being banged up in mid-season when he got some carries) are Nassib, Smith & PTG. Our senior QB took nearly every snap; both junior RBs had excellent seasons and deserved to play ahead of Ashton. Keep in mind -- none of those three contributed as frosh (other than some kick off returns for PTG). Kids get better year to year -- physically and in learning the playbook. Enough with the prejudgments on Ashton.

Sure -- Ashton and the other RBs, QBs, H-backs, need to learn the plays and be held accountable. No great revelation there.

The three primary reasons Ashton didn't get on the field (in addition to being banged up in mid-season when he got some carries) are Nassib, Smith & PTG. Our senior QB took nearly every snap; both junior RBs had excellent seasons and deserved to play ahead of Ashton. Keep in mind -- none of those three contributed as frosh (other than some kick off returns for PTG). Kids get better year to year -- physically and in learning the playbook. Enough with the prejudgments on Ashton.
That's not true at all. It was his inability to learn the playbook. Our staff wanted him out there and couldn't trust him to make the right play.

Ran into a group of football players yesterday they all agreed Charlie will most likely be the starting QB for your Syracuse University Football team as it enters the ACC.

If he couldn't learn the playbook and they weren't going to cut it down greatly for him, why would they not redshirt him? What a waste of a year.

VT was more than happy to cut down the playbook and RS Michael Vick and that seemed to work out well.

I know Broyld isn't Vick, but RS the kid and tie the playbook to his belt.

This is like watching Pitt totally mess up using Dorin Dickerson until late in his career.

If he couldn't learn the playbook and they weren't going to cut it down greatly for him, why would they not redshirt him? What a waste of a year.

VT was more than happy to cut down the playbook and RS Michael Vick and that seemed to work out well.

I know Broyld isn't Vick, but RS the kid and tie the playbook to his belt.

This is like watching Pitt totally mess up using Dorin Dickerson until late in his career.

BINGO!

I would like to see Broyld redshirt in 2013 with a focus on QB. Give him this spring, fall of 2013, and 2014 spring to learn the new playbook inside and out - maybe the new coaching staff can get him to understand it better, though it is certainly his responsibility to learn it. After the spring of 2014, if he still cannot be a QB then move him to TE, RB, WR, LB, or wherever.

Looking at the roster, there is no place on the field where we NEED Ashton in 2013.
And those other positions are looking pretty good for SU's future (look at all the TE's!!) - but the future of quarterback at SU is downright scary! I have faith that Loeb can hold things over in 2013. If anyone else can somehow beat out Loeb for the starting job, then I will take back this post, but none of the other guys (Hunt, Kinder, Wilson, or Kimble) excite me. All I am saying is give Ash a chance!