Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years

Has NY HS football really taken a turn for the worse since Dino came here? Look at how many scholarship NY kids we had his 1st year vs this year. It is even worse if you go back to Marrone. How do we have 4 scholarship NY state kids with one of them being Coley? And we only have one currently in our next class
There a lot of reasons for it. Weve exhaust discussions on here. I’m not going to list all the challenges over again but NYS has been behind in football for lots of reasons and it makes it hard to develop kids and evaluate them as college coaches.

Some schools have good enough athletes. There’s just not a lot. If there was then P5 schools would be offering kids left and right and there would be more ranked kids in the state. Do you think college coaches and recruiting analysts who ranked these are wrong?
Recruiting analysts are wrong a lot. I think if Syracuse doesn't recruit these guys, other schools probably think if Syracuse isn't interested, they must not be very good. Maybe Don Brown will try to get some players in upstate NY, I know he has all the connections in New England.

There a lot of reasons for it. Weve exhaust discussions on here. I’m not going to list all the challenges over again but NYS has been behind in football for lots of reasons and it makes it hard to develop kids and evaluate them as college coaches.
There are no recruiting summer camps upstate either.

Closest ones are in Northern NJ, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc.

Maybe if someone set up a rivals / 247 skills camp in Syracuse or Rochester, there would be more exposure

Recruiting analysts are wrong a lot. I think if Syracuse doesn't recruit these guys, other schools probably think if Syracuse isn't interested, they must not be very good. Maybe Don Brown will try to get some players in upstate NY, I know he has all the connections in New England.
Didn’t say they are always right but you can’t ignore the lack of prospects in the state and the lack of them going to P5 schools. It’s not just Syracuse. Most P5 schools ignore NYS. I hope more coaches do come in and recruit our kids. There’s talent here. Just not enough p5 talent to bank on. I’m speaking from experience. I’ve showcased kids and I’ve sat down with many college coaches about NYS. I’m actually involved in these discussions and camps to get more NYS kids exposure.

Nobody, absolutely NOBODY is paying attention to SU for recruiting insight.

Didn’t say they are always right but you can’t ignore the lack of prospects in the state and the lack of them going to P5 schools. It’s not just Syracuse. Most P5 schools ignore NYS. I hope more coaches do come in and recruit our kids. There’s talent here. Just not enough p5 talent to bank on. I’m speaking from experience. I’ve showcased kids and I’ve sat down with many college coaches about NYS. I’m actually involved in these discussions and camps to get more NYS kids exposure.
You probably see this first hand, that if a player is getting recruited at a school it puts it in the mind of other guys there that it is doable. Seems like there could be an upswing in New York football, things go in cycles.

Nobody, absolutely NOBODY is paying attention to SU for recruiting insight.
I would think not. Not only is the program withering, it's taking everything else with it.

You probably see this first hand, that if a player is getting recruited at a school it puts it in the mind of other guys there that it is doable. Seems like there could be an upswing in New York football, things go in cycles.
Always hopeful of it. We are going to keep working at it. HS coaches just have to continue to develop and expose their kids. We have to find more ways to make them more marketable.

I don’t know about upstate but the HS FB talent level in NYC is steadily rising and has been for the past decade. Kids from the 5 boros are going to OSU, ND, Texas A&M, MIA, Clemson, Florida, BC, Rut, Pitt, WVU, Michigan, Penn St…. There is a lot of talent in NYC but unfortunately since Marrone the last 2 staffs have really scaled back on NYC focus. Shafer almost completely ignored the city and Dino’s national recruiting strategy naturally spreads staff to thin to drill down in nyc.
Unfortunately we have completely ceded the city to Rutgers who now owns the 5 boros especially Brooklyn’s & the top public school program Erasmus Hall. K

I would think not. Not only is the program withering, it's taking everything else with it.

However whether it’s DB or another coach that began to offer more NYS players, some regional colleges would start sniffing around to make sure they weren’t missing something.

I don’t know about upstate but the HS FB talent level in NYC is steadily rising and has been for the past decade. Kids from the 5 boros are going to OSU, ND, Texas A&M, MIA, Clemson, Florida, BC, Rut, Pitt, WVU, Michigan, Penn St…. There is a lot of talent in NYC but unfortunately since Marrone the last 2 staffs have really scaled back on NYC focus. Shafer almost completely ignored the city and Dino’s national recruiting strategy naturally spreads staff to thin to drill down in nyc.
Unfortunately we have completely ceded the city to Rutgers who now owns the 5 boros especially Brooklyn’s & the top public school program Erasmus Hall. K
Yes I agree. They definitely could be recuiting NYC harder. They have got some kids though. Kids like Fuentes Matthew and Trill. They struggle getting the higher ends kids because those kids would rather play for winning teams. There's a pitch to those kids. Some bite and some dont give SU a sniff.

The amount of quality players on the roster is low because there isn’t a lot of quality players in the state. I don’t know why the staff don’t recruit Ohio more. Head scratcher for sure.
Live in Ohio. 100 percent Big 10 country…especially now with PSU there. They’d rather go to Indiana or Purdue than Cuse…

Last edited by a moderator:
Live in Ohio. 100 percent Big 10 country…especially now with PSU there. They’d rather go to Indiana or Purdue than Cuse…
Gotcha

There’s so many talented kids and it’s a relatively nearby state. I just wish the staff could make better inroads in recruiting here.
I kinda thought (hoped) Terrence Samuel might make some progress considering he was coaching at MSU for nine years.

There are good players in the MAC who would play here. We have issues. We recruit Michigan and Illinois but skip over Ohio.

IMO, Babers has overall shown very little interest in the community as a whole. Perhaps growing up a military brat instilled that in him, but othe than offering the CBA FR WR, has there been much attention to the 315?

This is the stuff that only matters when not winning. Totally get this lack of overall talent in the state, but given the types of recruiting classes we’ve had, it would be great to see any tie in debate end in extending the offer.

Oh well.
You mention Baber's interest in the community. A friend of mine is a big SU fan and after Baber's was hired my friend was running a big event and he reached out to Babers to appear at the event to get to know the community and for the community to get to know him, You know spread the brand. A representative of Babers got back to him, a five minute appearance would be $10,000. I always remember Coach Mac and Boeheim appearing everywhere.

Well, there isn't much evidence for this as the sample is small, but UB became very good at their level with NY guys and I don't think they got the cream of the crop.
UB became good because they had a good coach.

UB became good because they had a good coach.
A great coach. Still, the UB squad had more than 50 NY players, and as I said, they weren't the top NY guys.

A great coach. Still, the UB squad had more than 50 NY players, and as I said, they weren't the top NY guys.

That’s because they don’t have the budget big schools have to recruit across the country.

That’s because they don’t have the budget big schools have to recruit across the country.
The results are the same. They became a power in the MAC with 50+ NY players.

That's the dig

The talent isn't as deep or quality as it was 20-40 years ago, but there still is talent.

Kids from CNY have gone to other programs and done well. Both P5 and G5. Buffalo had a handful of Syracuse / Rochester kids as they improved
Section 3 football isn’t very good right now. And I’m pretty sure Babers doesn’t want to sign local kids unless they are locks. I think he sees too much down side if a local kid struggles to make the team. Plus theres the risk you are inviting local trouble into the program.

Section 3 football isn’t very good right now. And I’m pretty sure Babers doesn’t want to sign local kids unless they are locks. I think he sees too much down side if a local kid struggles to make the team. Plus theres the risk you are inviting local trouble into the program.
I was told SU will offer a local kid only if they are willing to take a commitment from them.