Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years

Section 3 football isn’t very good right now. And I’m pretty sure Babers doesn’t want to sign local kids unless they are locks. I think he sees too much down side if a local kid struggles to make the team. Plus theres the risk you are inviting local trouble into the program.
Idk

CBA has a handful of kids drawing low level D1 interest currently, and a couple with legit D1 interest.

Auburn has two kids with potential to play next level - I won't say ACC level, no, but could latch on at a G5.

I'm sure some of the traditional bigger programs have a few kids with potential as well (CNS, BVille, Genny, FM, Pool).

I think Skaneateles has a kid or two drawing some early interest.

What Section 3 lacks is year round development, high quality coaching, and usually depth and size of programs - all things that are big deals.

I think outside a few programs, a lot of schools around here are kind of Mickey Mouse in how they run things.

They don't tie in youth programs to the school systems and they don't maintain consistency in coaching staffs.

They don't develop or identify kids with potential and the strength and conditioning is sub par across the board.

Casey Rogers from Westhill. Was committed to SU lax (Lelan’s son) then decided that he really wanted to play football. He wanted to go to SU but Dino didn’t want him. He now starts for Nebraska on the D line.
I read an article that ( I think it was PS) if I'm remembering correctly, said that when he switched to football, Nebraska was where he wanted to go as it was always his favorite college fb team. SU was where he wanted to play lax (for his dad), but not football.

Not to jump the thread but there was an article in the Saratoga paper this morning about Dion Lewis taking a coordinators job with the Albany County Health Department after his retirement from the NFL. Went to Albany High School and Albany Academy then prep. Only offers for college were Miami of Ohio, Tulane and Pitt. Probably slipped through the cracks during the Greg fiasco but still.
About equidistant from Rutgers and BC and closer to UCONN and they didn’t offer either.

I was told SU will offer a local kid only if they are willing to take a commitment from them.
Doesn't that make the SU staff look bad? don't want to offer a guy because it will bring attention to him and then he will get more interest, I get it, but that's what happens in recruiting everywhere else.

Doesn't that make the SU staff look bad? don't want to offer a guy because it will bring attention to him and then he will get more interest, I get it, but that's what happens in recruiting everywhere else.
No, it’s not the attention, it’s having to not accept the commitment if the player doesn’t measure up in the end.

I was told SU will offer a local kid only if they are willing to take a commitment from them.
That doesn't, on the face of it, seem like a horrible policy, if it means "we'll offer you only if you really want to come here". It weeds out kids looking to use an offer for leverage.

Last edited:
That doesn't, on the face of it, seem like a horrible strategy if what it means is, "we'll offer you if you really want to come here".
If that's their deal they tell players in other locales, then that's fine. If they only give NY guys that offer, that's not fair. They should tell the guys from NY they want them to play for Syracuse and if they go away someplace else, Syracuse would still want you if things don't work out and you want to come back home.

How did you interpret that from what I said?

That doesn't, on the face of it, seem like a horrible policy, if it means "we'll offer you only if you really want to come here". It weeds out kids looking to use an offer for leverage.
You misinterpreted that. They are not going to be tossing out offers through out NYS just for no reason. They are going to offer kids they really want.

Casey Rogers from Westhill. Was committed to SU lax (Lelan’s son) then decided that he really wanted to play football. He wanted to go to SU but Dino didn’t want him. He now starts for Nebraska on the D line.
FYI, Casey Rogers just went into the portal.

That’s not what he said.

FYI, Casey Rogers just went into the portal.
He hasn't done a ton but an emphatic YES PLEASE. Could not really ask for a better opportunity from either sides perspective.

He hasn't done a ton but an emphatic YES PLEASE. Could not really ask for a better opportunity from either sides perspective.
Agreed. Seems like a no-lose situation for SU.

Casey will be following his defensive line coach to Oregon.

These threads always crack me up because people rally around the 2 or 3 kids in a 10 year period that were under the radar, we could have had, went elsewhere, and did well as an indictment of the staff recruiting upstate NY but completely ignore the kids that were under the radar and never developed into anything regardless of what P5 they landed at or the kids that we recruited hard that had zero interest in going to Syracuse. The latter is much higher than the former.

I read an article that ( I think it was PS) if I'm remembering correctly, said that when he switched to football, Nebraska was where he wanted to go as it was always his favorite college fb team. SU was where he wanted to play lax (for his dad), but not football.
That would be accurate. Again hard to land a kid for SU football when he doesn't want to be at SU for football.

These threads always crack me up because people rally around the 2 or 3 kids in a 10 year period that were under the radar, we could have had, went elsewhere, and did well as an indictment of the staff recruiting upstate NY but completely ignore the kids that were under the radar and never developed into anything regardless of what P5 they landed at or the kids that we recruited hard that had zero interest in going to Syracuse. The latter is much higher than the former.
In other states there are strong recruiting networks and when one of their players goes to State U, he has a lot of power behind him to get preferential treatment. That's what Syracuse should continue to cultivate in New York as it gives them the best chance to get the highest level athletes, though they may be a little behind in their development. When the top players in New York see it in their best interest, they will choose SU.

I am a strong advocate for getting in state kids but you are right. No one brings up the players that dont do well and say Im glad we passed on them lol

I am a strong advocate for getting in state kids but you are right. No one brings up the players that dont do well and say Im glad we passed on them lol
Every team gets plenty of players who don't live up to expectations.

Every team gets plenty of players who don't live up to expectations.
Absloutely. When we point out players who started a couple years at a P5 school outside of NYS its a reminder of how far off we are in terms of number of prospects in the state. There's not many and most of them dont make as big of a impact as we liked

I think you also read Money's post wrong just as I did. They = Syracuse coaches and Them = the recruit.

"I was told SU will offer a local kid only if Syracuse Coaches are willing to take a commitment from the recruit" -Money

This makes sense to me. Only making offers if they are committable. No non committable offers. This is just preventative damage control locally for not accepting an offer.