Good conditioning | Syracusefan.com

Good conditioning

SWC75

Bored Historian
I was watching a show about racing vintage cars: really vintage cars, from the turn of the 20th century, when many of them were steam powered. Suddenly, they started playing this, which I hadn't heard in you decades:

It seemed hugely familiar and gave a feeling of excitement, happiness, warmth and fun. It took me a minute to recognize is but when i did I smiled. When I was a little kid, that music announced my absolutely favorite show, (also my parents because they knew I had the perfect baby sitter for the next hour).

The music has quite a history and was being played because they were steam-powered cars. I never realized its origin or that baby boomers on the other side of the Atlantic had also grown up hearing this music and had much the same feeling for it, although it was because its relation to a somewhat different show.
Edward White (composer) - Wikipedia

My emotional reaction to it was in part due to the inherently happy nature of the music but much of it was due to the conditioning of hearing it every morning when I was a kid. I was programmed to respond that way due to the show it was the theme of. In this case, I don't mind having been programmed because listening to it after all these years gave me nothing but pleasure and there's nothing wrong with that.

Cool beans - one of those songs that everybody knows (or at least people of a certain age) but not everybody knows why they know it - my wife got it, I had to look at your linked wikipedia article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom