Good Loss | Syracusefan.com

Good Loss

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
In all the hundreds of games I've followed this is the first time I've ever said, 'good loss'. It represents a quantum improvement over prior games. Two games in a row that Cooney showed aggression, and two games where Roberson belonged. Kris's first game as a real point guard. Rak and Silent G were good and steady. McC was foul bound, but that is not his norm. The team kicked it up an notch but still lacks the ability to close out under pressure. After this game I expect us to be competitive in most games but i also expect us to lose more close games than we win. NCAA bubble, or NIT but not a losing season. We'll be down but still a load for any team that we play. We have less to fear than I thought.

not sure there is such a thing, but I definitely get your point.
If nothing else, it gives me legitimate hope for this year. I am confident we'll win some games against good (ranked) teams.

Selection committee will only see "W" or "L" and we have another "L" vs. a good team

No such thing as a good loss, as the poster above noted the committee doesn't look at close losses. This was a game we failed to close out, but with that said I expect us to continue to grow. Players are starting to come into their roles. Still a lot of games left to make a case for the tournament but we let this one get away from us.

If we had taken care of Mich and/or SJ I would feel fine calling this one a good loss. alas...

up 5 with ten seconds left. that cant possibly ever be construed as a good loss. im not sure what the in game win probability was but it must have been over 95 percent.

In all the hundreds of games I've followed this is the first time I've ever said, 'good loss'. It represents a quantum improvement over prior games. Two games in a row that Cooney showed aggression, and two games where Roberson belonged. Kris's first game as a real point guard. Rak and Silent G were good and steady. McC was foul bound, but that is not his norm. The team kicked it up an notch but still lacks the ability to close out under pressure. After this game I expect us to be competitive in most games but i also expect us to lose more close games than we win. NCAA bubble, or NIT but not a losing season. We'll be down but still a load for any team that we play. We have less to fear than I thought.

I don't know I think our program is at a point right now where it's NCAA or bust. Anything less then the NCAA is considered a failure of a season. Unfortunately this loss will make it extremely tough to sneak into the tournament. Even with the win it would have been tough.

I view this season as one long pre-season full of exhibitions vs quality opponents, in preparation for the arrival of our full team next November where we will actually have a good team capable of dominating in the regular and post season.

I view this season as one long pre-season full of exhibitions vs quality opponents, in preparation for the arrival of our full team next November where we will actually have a good team capable of dominating in the regular and post season.

I'm not convinced about next year yet, losing Rak and maybe McCullough is a huge loss.

I'm not convinced about next year yet, losing Rak and maybe McCullough is a huge loss.

Agree 100%. I think we'll be able to expect good things from Joseph / Cooney / Gbinije, and that makes for a good wing nucleus. I like the players we have coming in--and will be even more excited if we add Bryant.

But Rak is having a stellar season--he isn't dropping off. And McCullough is a big factor on the boards, despite his recent struggles. Those will be huge losses to overcome, no matter who we have filling in for them.

I hope Chris takes his studies serious next semester. Against similar size opponents this year he has not looked great. I'm not sure he's a sure bet to go pro yet, 18 games in the ACC will really determine where he is as a player.

McC is not ready for the NBA. Needs another year to get stronger. The entire UK team will get drafted ahead of him. He's scored less than 10 points in our last two games....combined.

He could dominate if he comes back and will likely be in the top 5 of the draft. Pay bump for getting in the top 5 is worth him coming back for another year.

OrlandoCuse said:
McC is not ready for the NBA. Needs another year to get stronger. The entire UK team will get drafted ahead of him. He's scored less than 10 points in our last two games...combined. He could dominate if he comes back and will likely be in the top 5 of the draft. Pay bump for getting in the top 5 is worth him coming back for another year.

You are right but unfortunately that doesn't guarantee he will stay. The lure of the quick bucks may be too much.

Like to be optimistic about next year but can't necessarily count on freshman. Would be huge if Coleman returned 100% and Bryant could understudy. didn't see game but box score looked like Roberson played another solid outing. No reason not look forward to group arriving and the current group stepping up, should be good news. Meanwhile, let's not give up on this team. There's a lot of wins to be had the remainder of the season...

You are right but unfortunately that doesn't guarantee he will stay. The lure of the quick bucks may be too much.
Drafted in the top 5 gets you $9m guaranteed over 3 years.

Drafted 15 gets you $4.5m over 3 years.

Drafted 29 gets you $3m over 3 years.

This is not a difficult decision. Stay one more year and the extra year is more than made up with the increased draft spot. This is the mistake Grant made. Bad people advising these kids that know nothing about long term investments.

talent alone will lead you down the road but brains will take you home. this team lacks brains.

talent alone will lead you down the road but brains will take you home. this team lacks brains.

That's partially attributable to having their brains bludgeoned out by Villanova, without getting fouls called all game.

OrlandoCuse said:
McC is not ready for the NBA. Needs another year to get stronger. The entire UK team will get drafted ahead of him. He's scored less than 10 points in our last two games...combined. He could dominate if he comes back and will likely be in the top 5 of the draft. Pay bump for getting in the top 5 is worth him coming back for another year.

Grant needed to get stronger too and he didn't come back. He's a first round pick and he's gone.

I feel the same in terms of being optimistic about the rest of the season. We played so beautifully in the first half, and it seemed we were hanging on for the win. Then my son and his wife arrived for Christmas, and the next thing I knew we were in OT, and then we lost and honestly, I still haven't wrapped my mind around it. I felt that our point guard became a point guard today, and that everyone with the exception of McC played their asses off and hustled hustled. Yes, we lost cos of turnovers, but still and all, I feel cheerful. My friend called me after the game and he was so full of gloom that I begged off talking to him!

It's late, and I just started checking out some of the threads, so I may feel less cheerful as I keep reading but mayhaps not. It's just that today we looked like a TEAM.

OrlandoCuse said:
Drafted in the top 5 gets you $9m guaranteed over 3 years. Drafted 15 gets you $4.5m over 3 years. Drafted 29 gets you $3m over 3 years. This is not a difficult decision. Stay one more year and the extra year is more than made up with the increased draft spot. This is the mistake Grant made. Bad people advising these kids that know nothing about long term investments.

Which is surprising given his dad and uncle are NBA veterans. There was no financial hardship in his case which could be seen as a reason to go for the quick money. Perhaps they felt for some reason that he would not improve after another season in college, and therefore should go. Seems weird to me, but yeah sometimes players have plateaued or even regressed after another college season.

Which is surprising given his dad and uncle are NBA veterans. There was no financial hardship in his case which could be seen as a reason to go for the quick money. Perhaps they felt for some reason that he would not improve after another season in college, and therefore should go. Seems weird to me, but yeah sometimes players have plateaued or even regressed after another college season.

Well...

The skuttlebutt was that there might have been some family financial hardship, which is part of why they pushed him to declare.

Drafted in the top 5 gets you $9m guaranteed over 3 years.

Drafted 15 gets you $4.5m over 3 years.

Drafted 29 gets you $3m over 3 years.

This is not a difficult decision. Stay one more year and the extra year is more than made up with the increased draft spot. This is the mistake Grant made. Bad people advising these kids that know nothing about long term investments.
did anyone really think Grant was going to improve that much in one year to move up that far in this years draft if he came back? Im not sure he really moves up that much. He was drafted more on athleticism than total bball skill and feel that would have been the same after this year. I do think that if Chris fall's out of the top 15 he should come back. He has the ability after one more year to move into the top 10 with his skill set and improved strength.

The last guys that should be advising college players are old NBA players. Most of them are broke within 3 years of leaving the league.

I watched Horace Grant build one of the largest monstrosities of a house in Orlando with his money. Probably spent $20m on it. He was forced to sell it for far less after he retired and no longer had any money coming in.

did anyone really think Grant was going to improve that much in one year to move up that far in this years draft if he came back? Im not sure he really moves up that much. He was drafted more on athleticism than total bball skill and feel that would have been the same after this year. I do think that if Chris fall's out of the top 15 he should come back. He has the ability after one more year to move into the top 10 with his skill set and improved strength.

Although I get your point, Grant could have improved just on opportunity alone this year.

McCullough though has way more upside potential and talent than Grant does. McCullough would be leaps and bounds better next year, especially since Rak will be gone. He could average 20/game if he improves how I think he would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom