Good movies | Syracusefan.com

Good movies

CaliCuse

All American
If you haven't seen "Gone Girl you should. I had a different view about the story line so I saw it as a pleasant surprise. Summer television doesn't offer much but I enjoy the two summer shows that are on now Rizzoli and Isles and Major crimes. Terry has an opportunity to go to Budapest for some shooting of his show. His schedule didn't allow him to go to Monte Carlo with Cole and Raily.He has completed a couple episodes. He was asked about the death of James Horner. His loss is significant He can be compared to John Williams for themes you recognize.William music resonates to the iconic movies like Indiana Jones, ET , Star Wars and others that escape me at the moment. Like I've said the two greatest composer in the 20th century are Williams and George Gershwin. Of course there is a wide variance in their style. Rhapsody inBlue and"AnAmerican inParis. are available on U-Tube for Gershwin. If you aren't familiar with his music give it a test,no charge

Last edited:
I have to be honest I wasn't a big fan of Gone Girl, I thought it was too long, and wasn't a fan of the ending. Maybe I expected too much going in.

I'm a big fan of Good Will Hunting and Goodfellas... was that the theme we were going for?

I have to be honest I wasn't a big fan of Gone Girl, I thought it was too long, and wasn't a fan of the ending. Maybe I expected too much going in.
That was exactly what my wife said. I asked Terry about it and he said the movie and book was an indictment on marriage. I wasn't thrilled about that but I can see his point. I would loved to have seen the guy she accused of rape show up and make her pay for everything but that wan't where the author decided to go.:confused:

Maybe late to the party but just saw Mystic River, Sean Penn is just excellent. Sad film but really good film!

Jason Segal's Muppets! Seriously. Fun for you and your kids... Uplifting and also Kermit.

October Sky. Extremely underrated movie.

Others I would recommend would be Taking Chance (Kevin Bacon), Cry Freedom (Denzel Washington before he blew up), Glory (Matthew Broderick killed it as Robert Gould Shaw), and White Squall (Jeff Bridges - true story of the tragic sinking of the brigantine Albatross, which was used as a school at sea for high school kids in the early 60's...a "Stand By Me" at sea.). All good movies with not much pub when they came out.

I just realized that all of these movies are based on true stories.

October Sky. Extremely underrated movie.

Others I would recommend would be Taking Chance (Kevin Bacon), Cry Freedom (Denzel Washington before he blew up), Glory (Matthew Broderick killed it as Robert Gould Shaw), and White Squall (Jeff Bridges - true story of the tragic sinking of the brigantine Albatross, which was used as a school at sea for high school kids in the early 60's...a "Stand By Me" at sea.). All good movies with not much pub when they came out.

I just realized that all of these movies are based on true stories.

Loved Taking Chance. Cry like a baby when I watch that one.

Interesting story related to White Squall. My wife's friend's daughter was out on one of those at sea schools when it sank as well. She's fine and just finishing college. Don't believe they have made a movie out of it yet.

Anyone seen Edge of Tommorow? I thought is kinda sucked, it got good reviews however.

Just saw Lone Survivor... Wow, It didn't get much attention, well up here at least, but that's still odd, I thought it was excellent, but It seemed it had a pretty big Hollywood twist to it. But nonetheless, moving film,

Last edited:

I'm in the minority but I couldn't stand Gone Girl. By the end of it, I just hated every character and wanted to get away from all of them! I just prefer for at least one character to have some redeeming value

Another great movie, came out a few years ago, if you are into history like I am, Argo.

Argo was fantastic. I love anything based on a true story. My problem is I always get on the internet after the movie and research how much the movie changed from what really happened and then usually get disappointed. But Argo was an excellent movie.

Saw southpaw last night. Really bad movie. His body transformation was cool and he did a great job with the fight scenes but the story was so unbelievable.

I think Ant-Man was the best Marvel movie yet for whatever that's worth.

Anyone seen Edge of Tommorow? I thought is kinda sucked, it got good reviews however.

Just saw Lone Survivor... Wow, It didn't get much attention, well up here at least, but that's still odd, I thought it was excellent, but It seemed it had a pretty big Hollywood twist to it. But nonetheless, moving film,
you are the first person who i know saw edge of tomorrow and didnt enjoy it.. it was easily top 5 movie last year.

Another great movie, came out a few years ago, if you are into history like I am, Argo.
I really enjoyed Argo-"goof yourself____ from the movie not directed to you by any means.Well done movies generated by history can be both enjoyable and education at the same time.

I saw the Melissa Mcarthy spy movie yesterday, very funny. If your are looking for one of those goofy comedies, it is worth seeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom