Good night B1G... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Good night B1G...

I'd love to take the other side of that bet if they meet.

Citadel and Kent State impress you? No idea how you could think Clemson plays a harder schedule. The two schedules are very comparable.

Why isn't Clemson ahead of ND now?

It's a moot point until and if they both beat Miami. But Temple and Miami (OH) not exactly a murder's row either.

I'd love to take the other side of that bet if they meet.

Citadel and Kent State impress you? No idea how you could think Clemson plays a harder schedule. The two schedules are very comparable.

Why isn't Clemson ahead of ND now?
Clemson isn’t ahead now because their resume isn’t complete.
They will pass Notre Dame if they finish at 12-1.

I like how you cite Citadel and Kent State and ignore Temple and Miami(Oh) for Notre Dame.

Clemson’s schedule is very difficult.

Notre Dame against Clemson give me Clemson.

Clemson > Notre Dame.
Clemson has better talent.
Clemson would have played the harder schedule.
Clemson at 12-1 will be above an 11-1 Notre Dame.
It will happen.

So many times you say stuff that makes zero sense. Clemson has a harder schedule than ND? Really?

ND has four opponents ranked inside the top 12. Clemson has two inside the top 20.

It's a moot point until and if they both beat Miami. But Temple and Miami (OH) not exactly a murder's row either.

True but better than Citadel and Kent State.

Big XII was left out in 3 years ago because Ohio State had the dominant conference title game and TCU and Baylor were tied and the Big XII had no title game.

Big XII got in 2 years ago because Stanford had 2 losses and lost a bad game to Northwestern and Oklahoma went 11-1 with a good win at Tennessee.

The Big XII didn’t get a team in last year because Oklahoma had 2 losses and Ohio State Beat them on their homefield.

Big XII added a title game this year.

Pac-12 whenever they champion has had 1 or fewer losses has made the CFB playoff.

P5 league champions up till this year thus far with a conference title game and o/1 losses have made the CFB playoff.

The extra game matters when you have 0/1 loss.

It certainly matters. But if four other teams have an overall body of work that is deemed better than yours then you're out. See Penn State 2016.

Clemson isn’t ahead now because their resume isn’t complete.
They will pass Notre Dame if they finish at 12-1.

I like how you cite Citadel and Kent State and ignore Temple and Miami(Oh) for Notre Dame.

Clemson’s schedule is very difficult.

Notre Dame against Clemson give me Clemson.

I'm here for ya if that game happens.

So many times you say stuff that makes zero sense. Clemson has a harder schedule than ND? Really?

ND has four opponents ranked inside the top 12. Clemson has two inside the top 20.

This isn't right. ND has played 4, Clemson 3. But the same number of W's. They will both likely play Miami.

ND: 3 wins in the top 25
Clemson: 3 wins in the top 25

This isn't right. ND has played 4, Clemson 3. But the same number of W's. They will both likely play Miami.

ND: 3 wins in the top 25
Clemson: 3 wins in the top 25

Where am I wrong? Read what I posted again.

Where am I wrong? Read what I posted again.

Sorry - you're right. Missed your carefully worded qualifiers.

I'd go with wins over the top 25 as a more important metric.

Sorry - you're right. Missed your carefully worded qualifiers.

I'd go with wins over the top 25 as a more important metric.

I believe ND has them there with that metric too.

The B1G will get them a bowl with 5 wins and the ACC would get the Orange a bowl with 5 wins. And I believe the Pinstripe would kill to have a Syracuse/Rutgers matchup and a totally full stadium.
What do you mean? The conference has no influence over whether a 5 win team gets a bowl. It's based on apr.

I believe ND has them there with that metric too.

Nope

ND wins: #11 USC, #12 Mich State, #23 NC State
Clemson wins: #10 Auburn, #17 VaTech, #23 NC State

It's really all moot - since Miami controls their own destiny. If they win out, they take Clemson and ND out.

Nope

ND wins: #11 USC, #12 Mich State, #23 NC State
Clemson wins: #10 Auburn, #17 VaTech, #23 NC State

It's really all moot - since Miami controls their own destiny. If they win out, they take Clemson and ND out.

True. But I believe the argument was over the notion that CU plays a tougher schedule. Throwing UGA in there kinda ends that argument.

I can't read all this mainly because I don;t care to spend that much time analyzing the B10. If the committee is doing its job of picking the 4 best teams than there is no way Wisconsin can be considered. The committee should look at them and say the following:
  1. You played nobody out of conference.
  2. You didn't even attempt to play anyone out of conference.
  3. Your conference stinks.
  4. You didn't even play 2 of the best 3 teams (OSU, PSU, MSU).
  5. We don't want you to get embarrassed (or ourselves) to pick a team that will be a 15+ point underdog to any other team to pick.
  6. See #3.

True. But I believe the argument was over the notion that CU plays a tougher schedule. Throwing UGA in there kinda ends that argument.
That's true. When wins are similar, look at the losses. Clemson's loss is worse than ND's.

What do you mean? The conference has no influence over whether a 5 win team gets a bowl. It's based on apr.
Only on APR? That would seem to favor schools with weak academics.

"I know we played 1 less game and our schedules are pretty equal - but we did lose to Georgia!"

Not the limb I'd want to rest my case on.

"I know we played 1 less game and our schedules are pretty equal - but we did lose to Georgia!"

Not the limb I'd want to rest my case on.

A one point loss to what may end up being the #1 team in the country? Compared to OU's one loss or CU's one loss?

Only on APR? That would seem to favor schools with weak academics.
Yes, only apr. If there are openings after all the 6 win teams are gone, they start with the 5 win school with the highest apr and work their way down the list until all of the bowls are filled.

Yes, only apr. If there are openings after all the 6 win teams are gone, they start with the 5 win school with the highest apr and work their way down the list until all of the bowls are filled.

How would SU shake out if it comes to that?

How would SU shake out if it comes to that?
I don't know. Some people have looked at it pretty closely and I think Bailey or Carlson has been doing a weekly update about teams with 6 or more wins and teams with similar records to ours and apr.

I figure it's not worth worrying about too much yet. Too much season is left.

I don't know. Some people have looked at it pretty closely and I think Bailey or Carlson has been doing a weekly update about teams with 6 or more wins and teams with similar records to ours and apr.

I figure it's not worth worrying about too much yet. Too much season is left.

Agreed.

If Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma win out and Georgia only loses to Alabama then even with one loss good bye Notre Dame.

12-1 with the schedules of Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia head to head over Notre Dame good bye Irish playoff bid.

If so, then New Year's Day bowl, it is. So it goes. Part of the deal. No problem.

That seems fair, especially to schools that run things like UNC.

The Big 12 champ will have an extra chance at a win with a conference championship game this year. That's bad news for ND.

I'm not discounting margin of victory or all that. It matters, for sure.

As long as ND has a possible (even if more difficult) chance at a playoff berth, it wants to stay an independent. Yes, even if excluded from the playoffs at 11-1.

ND and its fans understand that the odds may generally/sometimes/often be against them for this and are ok with it. What 'tho the odds, and all that.

It is fans of other schools who seem to get worked up about it. If ND is excluded at 11-1, I predict there would be very little clamor from ND fans about football joining a conference. Will ND fans be happy ? No. Will they want ND to join a conference? No.

Now, if the 4x16 champs only set up occurs, that shuts the door completely. If there is (legal or structural) ironclad barrier to the playoffs as an independent, ND will be in the ACC for football in ten minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom