Good night B1G... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Good night B1G...

It makes sense you're a Pats fan.

That is some riveting analysis you set forth there. lol

The SEC by and large sucks this year. So you're impressed by Arkansas this year? OU is explosive for sure but a lot of those Big XII teams play defense like it's flag football.

None of those four teams you mention play a tougher schedule than ND this year. Some may be comparable but none of them are clearly better.
11 vs 9 should matter tbh. That's 2 less games ND has to play against a familiar conference foe like Syracuse (if you want to make the argument those extra games are against mediocre teams) and we saw what happened to Clemson this year when they came here.

Really? Michigan State and USC both moved up in the polls. BC crushed FSU in their last game. ND ran for 500+ yards against BC. NC State played Clemson plenty tough. Georgia is still rollin'. Who are these teams you speak of?

Show me some teams that have more quality wins than ND.

NC State win means less with a Clemson loss, no? The whole B1G pooping the bed doesn’t help a win vs Michigan State look better. BC is a decent win, but doesn’t move the needle. USC is a good win, but they have two losses.

My point is this: ND has more quality wins at the moment. I haven’t said otherwise. They are out in front. But they’ll be hoping it’s enough when all the P5 is heading into championship week with an extra game vs a top 25 team. They’ll be hoping USC and Michigan State and NC State don’t lose again.

Conf champs mean something to the committee, too.

ND fans don’t like to hear it, but the bar is different for them. It’s higher. Maybe that sits well with the old timers “play like a champion!” we didn’t deserve the playoffs cause we lost once.

But it will be hard for them to watch the playoffs with teams with the same amount of losses and a shot at the National Championship.

11 vs 9 should matter tbh. That's 2 less games ND has to play against a familiar conference foe like Syracuse (if you want to make the argument those extra games are against mediocre teams) and we saw what happened to Clemson this year when they came here.

Too simplistic in my opinion. So who do you think represents better competition? Navy, which has been in the top 25 more often than not in the last 5-7 years, or some bottom feeder SEC, Big XII, B1G or ACC squad? By and large every year ND plays a schedule as good or better than highly rated P5 teams. This year is certainly no exception.

Too simplistic in my opinion. So who do you think represents better competition? Navy, which has been in the top 25 more often than not in the last 5-7 years, or some bottom feeder SEC, Big XII, B1G or ACC squad? By and large every year ND plays a schedule as good or better than highly rated P5 teams. This year is certainly no exception.
This year, since that's all that matters. I'd rather play Navy.

NC State win means less with a Clemson loss, no? The whole B1G pooping the bed doesn’t help a win vs Michigan State look better. BC is a decent win, but doesn’t move the needle. USC is a good win, but they have two losses.

My point is this: ND has more quality wins at the moment. I haven’t said otherwise. They are out in front. But they’ll be hoping it’s enough when all the P5 is heading into championship week with an extra game vs a top 25 team. They’ll be hoping USC and Michigan State and NC State don’t lose again.

Conf champs mean something to the committee, too.

The Committee needs to do a better job of communicating their objective because there are a lot of people still confused about it. The Chairman clearly stated "our charge is to find the very best four teams in the country" yet somehow there are folks out there that think it's supposed to be the four best P5 conference champs. Last year's result should have disabused people of that notion.

The B1G is down but wins by MSU over Penn State and Michigan are pretty good wins, no? The whole argument is whether ND deserves to be in at 11-1 so two road wins over Miami and Stanford wouldn't mean much to you? Btw it isn't just the wins it's how they are winning. None of these games have been very competitive.

And Miami, NC State, USC, UGA, Michigan State and Stanford as well, right?
Well, they have to beat Miami. If they go undefeated, they're obviously in. If not, things get dicey and no way they could ever jump a one loss ACC Champ Clemson.

ND fans don’t like to hear it, but the bar is different for them. It’s higher. Maybe that sits well with the old timers “play like a champion!” we didn’t deserve the playoffs cause we lost once.

But it will be hard for them to watch the playoffs with teams with the same amount of losses and a shot at the National Championship.

You're getting a little ahead of yourself. When that happens then you'll have a point. Until then...

Well, they have to beat Miami. If they go undefeated, they're obviously in. If not, things get dicey and no way they could ever jump a one loss ACC Champ Clemson.

Of course that's a given. The whole argument here has been based upon a what if scenario of 11-1.

The Committee needs to do a better job of communicating their objective because there are a lot of people still confused about it. The Chairman clearly stated "our charge is to find the very best four teams in the country" yet somehow there are folks out there that think it's supposed to be the four best P5 conference champs. Last year's result should have disabused people of that notion.

The B1G is down but wins by MSU over Penn State and Michigan are pretty good wins, no? The whole argument is whether ND deserves to be in at 11-1 so two road wins over Miami and Stanford wouldn't mean much to you? Btw it isn't just the wins it's how they are winning. None of these games have been very competitive.

You're missing the point. The teams ND is competing with will have similar wins. Maybe it's enough. I don't know - but you're way too confident given that ND is playing 1 less game than everyone it will be competing for a spot with.

It *may* work out this year. But most years a 1 loss ND isn't getting in over a 1 loss P5 team.

Of course that's a given. The whole argument here has been based upon a what if scenario of 11-1.
Yes, I know. The point is 1 loss hurts ND much more than a P5 Champ, as it should.

They don't jump a 1 loss SEC Champ ever, regardless of how trash that conference has become due to the Bama effect. They don't ever jump a 1 loss "factory" Clemson or FSU ACC Champ. They have a chance with the other conferences but it will be very tough not playing for a conference championship that final week.

You're getting a little ahead of yourself. When that happens then you'll have a point. Until then...

There are two arguments we're having. One assumes we're talking about this year and the other is hypothetical. This year, your schedule might be enough. But most years 1 loss will sink you.

You're missing the point. The teams ND is competing with will have similar wins. Maybe it's enough. I don't know - but you're way too confident given that ND is playing 1 less game than everyone it will be competing for a spot with.

It *may* work out this year. But most years a 1 loss ND isn't getting in over a 1 loss P5 team.

No you're missing the point. Total body of work matters. If Wisconsin has one loss and ND has one loss. Wisconsin is not getting in over ND because they will have nowhere near the quality wins. This is screamingly obvious.

Show me all of the potential one loss teams that will have a collection of "similar wins" (and as good of a loss) as ND.

You have this theory that ND comes out on the short end of every argument yet where is the evidence for this theory?

If Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma win out and Georgia only loses to Alabama then even with one loss good bye Notre Dame.

12-1 with the schedules of Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia head to head over Notre Dame good bye Irish playoff bid.

Yes, I know. The point is 1 loss hurts ND much more than a P5 Champ, as it should.

They don't jump a 1 loss SEC Champ ever, regardless of how trash that conference has become due to the Bama effect. They don't ever jump a 1 loss "factory" Clemson or FSU ACC Champ. They have a chance with the other conferences but it will be very tough not playing for a conference championship that final week.

Did it hurt OSU sitting out conference championship weekend last year?

Would a one loss Wisconsin get in over a one loss ND?

So body of work doesn't matter - it's all about the conference title?

And why is ND ranked ahead of Clemson right now?

There are two arguments we're having. One assumes we're talking about this year and the other is hypothetical. This year, your schedule might be enough. But most years 1 loss will sink you.

You're way out there on a limb if you don't think ND plays a very competitive schedule every year.

Ohio State was treated as the de facto Big XII champion because they won at Oklahoma and the Sooners won the Big XII.

That was huge for the committee. Notre Dame only chance for that is if Michigan State or USC win their conference title games.

No you're missing the point. Total body of work matters. If Wisconsin has one loss and ND has one loss. Wisconsin is not getting in over ND because they will have nowhere near the quality wins. This is screamingly obvious.

Show me all of the potential one loss teams that will have a collection of "similar wins" (and as good of a loss) as ND.

You have this theory that ND comes out on the short end of every argument yet where is the evidence for this theory?
It's pretty helpful that your example includes Wisconsin, a non-factory school that has one of the worst schedules in P5 history.

Why do you keep acting like playing one extra game for a Conference Champonship doesn't matter? The playoff bids aren't given out before those games happen.

If Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma win out and Georgia only loses to Alabama then even with one loss good bye Notre Dame.

12-1 with the schedules of Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia head to head over Notre Dame good bye Irish playoff bid.

So if ND beats Miami by 31 on the road and blows Stanford out while Clemson wins in OT over Miami in the ACC Title game then Clemson still jumps ND? Okee-dokee.

Ohio State was treated as the de facto Big XII champion because they won at Oklahoma and the Sooners won the Big XII.

That was huge for the committee. Notre Dame only chance for that is if Michigan State or USC win their conference title games.

Wouldn't ND be the de facto ACC champ if they crush all five ACC opponents?

I haven't used Wisconsin, because I don't think the B1G is getting big. Their schedule is crap. But a good one for you pluck out.

As Alsacs has just posted: 1 loss teams that will get in over ND

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Clemson

Keep an eye on:
5. TCU (if they win out, they will have 2 wins over Oklahoma, 1 over Ok State, 1 over WVU)

Ohio State is a factory school in a P5. B1G was always getting one - it's not like they were left out.

No, that's a very convenient example. Wisconsin is a non-brand school with an bizarrely terrible schedule.

No, but conference title does matter.

Uh, because they're undefeated? They won't be ahead of Clemson with a loss to Miami.

Wouldn't ND be the de facto ACC champ if they crush all five ACC opponents?
Lol...if de facto means not having to play the reigning National Chanpion and currently ranked #4 team in the Playoff, Clemson Tigers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom