Good Signs for Girard's Growth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Good Signs for Girard's Growth

If he makes a few better decisions then he turns into a really great PG. His 3PT shooting will go up i'm sure. It's the risky passes he needs to curtail.

Sorry but if he's the PG for the next couple years we'll be stuck in the middle of the pack as usual. His 3 pt numbers are OK if you disregard the 2-3 times his bad shots turn into fast breaks and easy buckets on the other end. Got to have someone at point who can get into the lane, create for others, and find open shooters. That is what SU has been lacking for a long time now.

Sorry but if he's the PG for the next couple years we'll be stuck in the middle of the pack as usual. His 3 pt numbers are OK if you disregard the 2-3 times his bad shots turn into fast breaks and easy buckets on the other end. Got to have someone at point who can get into the lane, create for others, and find open shooters. That is what SU has been lacking for a long time now.
I think he could be fine a point guard on a top 25 team, if we can get a true number one option type of player. Right now it looks like that may be when Dior shows up. Until then, I think he will have better shooting numbers and will be a better player as he gets stronger and deals with contact better. He's crafty enough to be productive and may have some games where he goes off, but he will probably be frustrating at times simply because he'll be asked to do more than he should have to.

I’m guessing you were part of the “Gerry McNamara is overrated” crowd

You’re acting like all he could do is shoot jumpers. He got into the lane well enough, especially for a Freshman. He’s wasn’t an unwilling passer, either.

I was part of tbe Gerry McNamara is the ultimate winner that would have benefited from playing off the ball alot more and his team and offense flowed better with Edelin at point and him at the 2, crowd.

Fair enough

Also from the article:

"This offseason Girard resides in the relatively small pool of athletes with access to a gym. For 90 minutes four or five times per week, he and his father, Joe (his primary trainer), ensure he racks up hundreds of shots and goes through dozens of ball-security drills. He studies highlights of Trae Young, Jimmer Fredette, Steph Curry, Jason Williams and Steve Nash, all smaller guards who found ways to thrive."
I wonder which Jason Williams he studies? Jay (formerly Jason) Williams (6'2", 195) of Duke fame or Jason "White Chocolate" Williams (6'1", 190) who was Randy Moss's HS teammate? Either'd be fine with me.

By this time next year JGIII's game will be the least of our concerns.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the fact that he was an absurd athlete from a young age and didn't maybe have to train at that high a level to be insanely productive. Also, from the eye test, he looked like a kid fresh out of high school playing college hoops (as opposed to kids like Guerrier, who looked like a 25-year-old peak athlete as a frosh). Don't know how much stock I put in 10 lbs. of muscle, but have to feel he's capable of significant gains in that department.

More likely that he's put on 10lbs., worked out some and they have no idea whether the added weight is muscle, fat or the shoes he forgot to take off before he got on the scale.

This guy is special and savvy. His high school achievements are off the charts and are indicating his determination and ability. This is his year and team.

No worries about JG3, at all. He’ll probably have a breakout year- if we have one.

I just hope he and Buddy don't play 35+ minutes. Play them 30 and let the bench play. They will each shoot 5 percent better from three, will be less likely to have twisted ankles and fatigue-induced injuries during the season, and we will have a better prepared backcourt if one of them goes down to an injury.

Personally, I am really tried of Boeheim literally running players into the ground, and continuing to play them while they are injured, instead of letting someone from the bench have a chance to see what they can do.

Boeheim famously said 75% of Derrick Coleman when he's tired is better than 100% of anyone else I have on the bench. Well, these last few years the starters playing all these minutes have not been world beaters, and I don't think it would have killed him to use his bench more.

The kid averaged 12 3 and 3 in his freshmen year...Yes, he's a bit of a liability on D but there's no question the kid can be special year...not many freshman come in anywhere and do 12, 3 and 3

And really answered the ball handling question. I remember people fretting on here about whether he could handle a college defender, that his handle was his biggest weakness coming out of high school. Hope he continues to improve his game.

The kid averaged 12 3 and 3 in his freshmen year...Yes, he's a bit of a liability on D but there's no question the kid can be special year...not many freshman come in anywhere and do 12, 3 and 3
now If we could just get JG and Rothstein in the same building now for the vaunted off season update we'd be really really cookin'

I don't expect a freshman PG like Kadary Richmond to get a lot of minutes once we get into the ACC season. I expect to see a core guard rotation of Buddy, Alan, and Joe. Maybe Griffen or Buddy will take some minutes bringing up the ball when Joe is getting short breathers. Would be thrilled if Richmond shows enough to get meaningful rotation minutes but based on past history I would be surprised.

I don't expect a freshman PG like Kadary Richmond to get a lot of minutes once we get into the ACC season. I expect to see a core guard rotation of Buddy, Alan, and Joe. Maybe Griffen or Buddy will take some minutes bringing up the ball when Joe is getting short breathers. Would be thrilled if Richmond shows enough to get meaningful rotation minutes but based on past history I would be surprised.
How exactly are Buddy, Alan and Joe going to split guard minutes when they are all in the starting lineup? ;)
Not saying Griffin won't get some guard minutes but he is plug and play for Elijah.