Good Signs for Girard's Growth | Syracusefan.com

Good Signs for Girard's Growth

sl95sufan

Walk On
"Being part of an endangered group fuels Girard. He’s working on change of speed and direction. He’s enhancing his quickness and strength. He has added about 10 pounds of muscle since the end of the season. His goal is to hit 195 pounds on the scale, up from 181 last fall."

"Girard averaged 12.4 points, 3.5 assists and 1.5 steals in 33 minutes per night. His assists and steals led all freshmen in the ACC. He led the conference in free-throw percentage (89.4 percent) while enjoying a 1.89 assist-to-turnover ratio and shooting 32.4 percent from deep. Above all was his turnover percentage, 15.6, the best mark among all power-conference freshmen "

HMM

"Girard averaged 12.4 points, 3.5 assists and 1.5 steals in 33 minutes per night. His assists and steals led all freshmen in the ACC. He led the conference in free-throw percentage (89.4 percent) while enjoying a 1.89 assist-to-turnover ratio and shooting 32.4 percent from deep. Above all was his turnover percentage, 15.6, the best mark among all power-conference freshmen "

HMM
He deserved to be on All ACC Freshman team.

Girard was maddening at times, specifically with his shot selection and defensive lapses. But generally I thought he overachieved as a Freshman. Excited for the next couple years as I think he’ll end up a great player for the program.
He’s going to get more and more shots every year he’s here, so I do think he’ll have that GMac green light which will no doubt lead to questionable shots. I do think his defense will improve. Towards the end of the season I thought he rebounded fairly well considering his size

HMM

Not too familiar with that stat- assume based on some formula- but still seems pretty impressive. Gaining strength will be important and definitely the shot selection but he for sure over achieved.

can't hurt having jimmer and gmac in yr ears
Eh...

Jimmer is a nice guy but doesn't have the best mindset. He washed out of the NBA because he wouldn't listen.

crazy hard worker who became prob best player in the country by his senior yr with limited "raw talent"
I was a grad student at BYU during Jimmer mania. I'm really not trying to knock him.

He maxed out what he was capable of in college. He liked what Rose wanted him to do.

He didn't max out what he was capable of as a professional. There are reasons why. He didn't like what he was hearing he should do to stick in the NBA.

Maybe he's gained some wisdom and is passing it on to Girard. I'd hope for the best there.

How do you get faster by gaining muscle? That doesnt happen very often.

I'd rather him work on his game than his body.

Also from the article:

"This offseason Girard resides in the relatively small pool of athletes with access to a gym. For 90 minutes four or five times per week, he and his father, Joe (his primary trainer), ensure he racks up hundreds of shots and goes through dozens of ball-security drills. He studies highlights of Trae Young, Jimmer Fredette, Steph Curry, Jason Williams and Steve Nash, all smaller guards who found ways to thrive."

I’m sure his putting time into both, don’t worry. And you need to be pretty damn strong to be six feet tall and finish in the lane against ACC bigs.