Good Southerland stat to cheer everyone up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good Southerland stat to cheer everyone up

Does this board suck for asking me to put a poll in order to post??

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Pointing to the rebound totals and stating one is better than the other is LAUGHABLE. Jeremi had 1 rebound vs GTown. He also got a foul called on a GTown player (because he boxed out), another player grabbed a board (because he boxed out), the one board was an offense rebound. Also, he was outrebounded by a GTown player and let up a putback 0 times.

James got 7 boards today and about 4 fell into his hands. That happens when you are on the weakside of the zone.

I watch the game. With my two eyes. One player (Grant) routinely boxes out, One does not. It's literally not close.

i know JB puts more of an emphasis on zone rebounding, and not boxing out. Maybe he should stress it some more.

i have to respectively disagree with you here. I feel Grant is by far our best rebounder. I have never seen someone grab a rebound over Grant. James on the other hand seems to happen consistently.

one other thing about Grant is his improved jumper. i watched him during warm ups and he made 20 consecutive 17 foot jump shots. i am by no means saying play grant 30 mins, but he shouldn't have been diminshed to DC territory. the 1 minute hook was absurd. JB has broken him. for what reason? i have no clue. he could have been the x-factor come March.

Your feelings are not backed up by statics:
Grants rebounding # in the 6 games without James: 5, 5, 7, 5, 5, 6
James last 5 (where didn't grant received many mins) 5, 6, 7, 4, 7

By the way the reason Grant isn't playing is because against zone defenses JB needs more shooting in the game and I wish I had a dollar for every player JB has broken...because working sucks!

Your feelings are not backed up by statics:
Grants rebounding # in the 6 games without James: 5, 5, 7, 5, 5, 6
James last 5 (where didn't grant received many mins) 5, 6, 7, 4, 7

By the way the reason Grant isn't playing is because against zone defenses JB needs more shooting in the game and I wish I had a dollar for every player JB has broken...because working sucks!

why did Grant need breaking? He was arguably our 2nd best player when James was out, and the best player in a couple games? He was fine. Rebounding statistics are also skewed. Teams have shot very poorly against us lately, especially from 3, which obviously allows more rebounding opportunities.

Pointing to the rebound totals and stating one is better than the other is LAUGHABLE. Jeremi had 1 rebound vs GTown. He also got a foul called on a GTown player (because he boxed out), another player grabbed a board (because he boxed out), the one board was an offense rebound. Also, he was outrebounded by a GTown player and let up a putback 0 times.

James got 7 boards today and about 4 fell into his hands. That happens when you are on the weakside of the zone.

I watch the game. With my two eyes. One player (Grant) routinely boxes out, One does not. It's literally not close.

Grant misses as many rebounds as James does. I do agree that the rebounder on the weak side of the zone is key but to be fair I gave you total rebounding numbers! If you look at defensive rebounding only James out performs Grant by a wide margin. Grant gets a lot of offensive rebounds (probably why people think he is a better rebounder) James is always at the 3pt line so he get almost no offensive rebounds.

why did Grant need breaking? He was arguably our 2nd best player when James was out, and the best player in a couple games? He was fine. Rebounding statistics are also skewed. Teams have shot very poorly against us lately, especially from 3, which obviously allows more rebounding opportunities.

Here are the Roland Ratings for Grant vs James in our last 4 losses:

Uconn +4 to 0
GTown +5 to -11
Marq +5 to -9
LVille-3 to -5

Roland Rating is +/- on court minus +/- off court.

For THIS team and the skills we have, Grant is the player we need to play. Because we shoot so poorly, we simply wont outscore good teams. We need to win with defense and rebounding. Grant is the better option...but the choice has already been made, otherwise we might've actually beat GTown or Marq.

One last point and then I'll get off my soapbox...our two best wins (I'm not counting the boat game) were w/o James.

Grant should be getting starters mins w/ CJ. Period.

Uconn +4 to 0
GTown +5 to -11
Marq +5 to -9
LVille-3 to -5

For THIS team and the skills we have, Grant is the player we need to play. Because we shoot so poorly, we simply wont outscore good teams. We need to win with defense and rebounding. Grant is the better option...but the choice has already been made, otherwise we might've actually beat GTown or Marq.

totally agree. i know a lot of people try to discredit this stat, but personally i love it.

sarcasm...Triche was playing much better when James was out. That's the issue. Grant had one very good game vs his brothers' team, and ND has one of the worst group of forwards in the BE. I like Grant a lot! I think he has the most upside on the team (future NBA player no doubt!) But his game is similar to CJ's game, midrange jumper, attacks the rim, etc. You can't play both against a zone (unless your guards can stroke it from 3) because it kills the space each player needs to operate and every body is zoning us!

Uconn +4 to 0
GTown +5 to -11
Marq +5 to -9
LVille-3 to -5

We are up 10 on both Gtown and Marq early in the game. Both teams went zone and we couldn't attack it! We have 2 players that are effective verse zone. James and CJ! Grant could play CJ's role but not better than CJ, he can't do what James does. The issue is our guards! Where JB screwed up is by only having 3 guards! Cooney who is not ready yet (blame JB if you want) and 2 wildly inconsistent guards! We need our guards to play better!