Good to hear his voice | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Good to hear his voice

Nobody mentions the difficult weather in CNY more than my mom - who has lived in and loved the Syracuse community for more than 88 years.

I don't get too worked up over Syracuse weather comments.
oh I do get worked up about Cuse weather comments. Because they're almost always unfair false shots in an attempt to negatively recruit against us, that in point of fact have nothing to do with current reality with references like it's still the 1970's up here. Inaccurate unfair disparaging garbage I'll always call out.

And I know first hand having spent time, a lot of time, all over this country and the world for that matter. As a result I have always used the following line, somewhat in jest for the second part, for this area, that it is "the best place to live in the country for 8 months out of the year and the other 4 months keeps the riff raff out!".

IOW keeps the population down, to be able to handle the 4 months of winter, but even that isn't true anymore with 4 years in a row of essentially mild to no traditional winter. Aberration or trend, natural or not, discussion for another time, board and thread.

But no, I keep at the ready the litany of recent articles/studies showing this area as a top 10 place to live, bring up kids, top area for housing, the number one lake retreat area in the WORLD, etc, for the dopes who have no clue.

So yeah being invested in this area I defend it often, lol.

All that said the babers shot wasn't all that bad and is based on truth at least. The lake is a blessing and a curse in that regard, as even without the snow now and more sunshine than usual in the winter, ya still gotta get through the four or so too often grey months.

Not sure why I took the time to do all this/post all this as I know you're also a big CNY guy, but yeah God bless good ole CNY! (edit: added all those links so I have an easy to find resource/reference to go to/dig up when gotta educate another ignoramus!)

Last edited:
oh I do get worked up about Cuse weather comments. Because they're almost always unfair shots with references like it's still the 1970's up here. Inaccurate unfair disparaging garbage I'll always call out. And I know first hand having spent time, a lot of time, all over this country and the world for that matter.

I have always used the following line, somewhat in jest for this area, that it is "the best place in the country to live 8 months out of the year and the other 4 months keeps the riff raff out!". Keeps the population down to survive the 4 months of winter but even that isn't true anymore with 4 years in a row of essentially mild to no traditional winter. Aberration or trend, natural or not, discussion for another board and thread.

But no, I keep at the ready the litany of recent articles/studies showing this area as a top 10 place to live, top area for housing, the number one lake retreat area in the WORLD, etc, for the dopes who have no clue. So yeah being invested in this area I defend it often.

All that said the babers shot wasn't all that bad and is based on truth at least. The lake is a blessing and a curse in that regard, as even without the snow now, ya still gotta get through the four grey months. Not sure why I took the time to do this post but yeah God bless good ole CNY!
Love CNY , I grew up there and have lived within a stones throw my entire 63 years. As a younger man and kid loved the snow and the winter. Getting older I would prefer to skip the grey chilly winter months. But it is my intention to move back to Syr from the Southern Tier in a couple years to live out my retirement. So I’m with you CR !!!

oh I do get worked up about Cuse weather comments. Because they're almost always unfair shots that have nothing to do with current reality with references like it's still the 1970's up here. Inaccurate unfair disparaging garbage I'll always call out. And I know first hand having spent time, a lot of time, all over this country and the world for that matter.

I have always used the following line, somewhat in jest for this area, that it is "the best place in the country to live 8 months out of the year and the other 4 months keeps the riff raff out!". Keeps the population down to survive the 4 months of winter but even that isn't true anymore with 4 years in a row of essentially mild to no traditional winter. Aberration or trend, natural or not, discussion for another board and thread.

But no, I keep at the ready the litany of recent articles/studies showing this area as a top 10 place to live, top area for housing, the number one lake retreat area in the WORLD, etc, for the dopes who have no clue. So yeah being invested in this area I defend it often.

All that said the babers shot wasn't all that bad and is based on truth at least. The lake is a blessing and a curse in that regard, as even without the snow now, ya still gotta get through the four grey months. Not sure why I took the time to do this post but yeah God bless good ole CNY!

Agree, not sure why we people say that weather would keep recruits away

That was the large excuse we heard a lot during the Dino era.

The Fran Brown era and the weather seems to be a non factor.

I mean we just got a 4 star QB from warm ol Texas

Anyway, the weather isn’t as bad as most people make it out to be

Love CNY , I grew up there and have lived within a stones throw my entire 63 years. As a younger man and kid loved the snow and the winter. Getting older I would prefer to skip the grey chilly winter months. But it is my intention to move back to Syr from the Southern Tier in a couple years to live out my retirement. So I’m with you CR !!!
Absolutely, snow or not harsh winters or not it’s still a dream and hope that all the planets line up, markets don’t crash and I find myself south and/or west from Jan-(most of) April somewhere someday.

I’m my line of work exposed to hundreds even thousands of people over the years, the most truly happy with their lives people I see are the “snowbirds“.

Best of both worlds, this beautiful lake filled area for 8 months, warm sunshine somewhere for the other four months.

Truly Hope to live long enough/be healthy enough to be one of them!

Last edited:
Agree, not sure why we people say that weather would keep recruits away

That was the large excuse we heard a lot during the Dino era.

The Fran Brown era and the weather seems to be a non factor.

I mean we just got a 4 star QB from warm ol Texas

Anyway, the weather isn’t as bad as most people make it out to be
He permanently lost me when we were struggling offensively due to a chronic lack of depth and roster imbalance and he chose that time to complain about portal losses on the defensive side of the ball. Where we didn't have chronic depth problems and roster imbalance.

Misdirection at it's...well not best lol.

Absolutely, snow or not harsh winters or not it’s still a dream and hope that all the planets line up, markets don’t crash and I find myself south and/or west from Jan-(most of) April somewhere someday.

I’m my line of work exposed to hundreds even thousands of people over the years, the most truly happy with their lives people I see are the “snowbirds“.

Best of both worlds, this beautiful lake filled area for 8 months, warm sunshine somewhere for the other four months.

Truly Hope to live long enough/be healthy enough to be one of them!

But, like JB said, the rest of the year we have basketball!

He permanently lost me when we were struggling offensively due to a chronic lack of depth and roster imbalance and he chose that time to complain about portal losses on the defensive side of the ball. Where we didn't have chronic depth problems and roster imbalance.

Misdirection at it's...well not best lol.
He started to lose me when he challenged us all to some board games.

oh I do get worked up about Cuse weather comments. Because they're almost always unfair false shots in an attempt to negatively recruit against us, that in point of fact have nothing to do with current reality with references like it's still the 1970's up here. Inaccurate unfair disparaging garbage I'll always call out.

And I know first hand having spent time, a lot of time, all over this country and the world for that matter. As a result I have always used the following line, somewhat in jest for the second part, for this area, that it is "the best place to live in the country for 8 months out of the year and the other 4 months keeps the riff raff out!".

IOW keeps the population down, to be able to handle the 4 months of winter, but even that isn't true anymore with 4 years in a row of essentially mild to no traditional winter. Aberration or trend, natural or not, discussion for another time, board and thread.

But no, I keep at the ready the litany of recent articles/studies showing this area as a top 10 place to live, bring up kids, top area for housing, the number one lake retreat area in the WORLD, etc, for the dopes who have no clue.

So yeah being invested in this area I defend it often, lol.

All that said the babers shot wasn't all that bad and is based on truth at least. The lake is a blessing and a curse in that regard, as even without the snow now and more sunshine than usual in the winter, ya still gotta get through the four too often grey months.

Not sure why I took the time to do this/post all this as I know you're also big CNY guy, but yeah God bless good ole CNY! (edit: added all those links so I have an easy to find resource/reference to go to/dig up when gotta educate another ignoramus!)
Understood.

For me, nothing is worse than South Bend, Indiana.

The weather and the ND campus are grossly unattractive.

Some things never change.
When will coaches realize that this makes no difference? Like are we asking for you to tell us what play calls mean, no. But can you talk about the principles and advantages, yes. Talk about how you want to use your RBs/WRs etc, yes. If you think that info will be the reason you lose a game, then you are just straight up paranoid.

Understood.

For me, nothing is worse than South Bend, Indiana.

The weather and the ND campus are grossly unattractive.
honestly so true. One of the bigger disappointments in my life after Rudy, win one for the gipper, etc. all lionizing ND as this amazing larger than life place, to then go there for a game and see it looks like a commuter school full of ugly buildings is and will remain one of the shocks of my life

Snow is no longer the issue. We're trending toward many of the other metro areas in the northeast because lake effect is becoming less and less of an influence.

It's the constant cloudiness downwind from Lake Ontario that is the bigger issue from December-March. It might be too late to fill in the lake because of shipping interests and Micron, though.

I’ve always found it amusing the idea that young men who aspire to play in the NFL (half the league is in cold cities) don’t want to play college football in the cold. Lol

The narrative around Tua is becoming that he can’t play in the cold. From Hawaii, played at Bama/Miami, can’t handle the cold and his stats show that. Part of why Buffalo wanted Allen was they knew he’d played in rough weather at Wyoming and could handle WNY.

Syracuse is the ideal situation in a lot of ways - you get physically acclimated to the cold, might play one or two games in actual cold weather in a year - most of your games are in the Dome. There’s almost a largely unearned credibility you can handle the cold when you play at Syracuse.

My opinion only.

I think there are many smart and successful business and corporate people here.

I'd relate Dino to something I have been guilty of myself in my career, at times.

He came in and made some splashes and had some early success and built up a good amount of positive deposits in the goodwill bank. But then he had some struggles and issues that he couldn't overcome.

He lost his ambition for whatever reason. He wanted a change of scenery, or was expecting something as a reward for the prior success that didn't fully meet expectations, or the gig and grind grew stale.

And this happened with COVID hitting on top of the normal grind. Then the changing environment with recruiting and NIL.

And then things didn't go as planned, and he lost more of that drive. His commitment wavered and he went on the quiet quitting stretch that people love to talk about.

And then it got to a point where his boss said hey, things aren't where they should be, we need to hit these KPI otherwise we need to look at how things are operating and make a change.

And Dino saw the writing on the wall. It didn't motivate him any further, he was almost content to let the chips fall where they fall and if it meant him losing his job, he was ok with that.

He wasn't happy or having fun anyways.

Again, just my opinion, but I think he had regrets taking the extension when he did. I think he took it because it was a significant bump.

I'm guessing he convinced himself he could parlay 2018 into a strong 2019 with TD and then use a strong 2019 to get himself a better gig in 2020.

When the wheels fell off and then 1-10 happened his last spark was snuffed.

Just my long drawn opinion
Agree. He wanted to use Cuse as a springboard to the west coast and get a top gig. Once it didn’t happen things just went off the rails.

When will coaches realize that this makes no difference? Like are we asking for you to tell us what play calls mean, no. But can you talk about the principles and advantages, yes. Talk about how you want to use your RBs/WRs etc, yes. If you think that info will be the reason you lose a game, then you are just straight up paranoid.
Some coaches just don’t choose to elaborate about X’s and O’s publicly or to media.

They rather do it at clinics amongst other HS/college/pro coaches that are in the profession.

Every thread seems to revert to throwing insults at Dino. I never bring him up , I do defend him .
Trying to keep up with the basketball board and the insults of JB. Can't remember. Which one caused global warming and which one is responsible for Ebola? That and the pissing contests between posters makes up 80% of the content here.

All good retirees who worked in the Southern Tier move north when the time comes. We're keeping a light on for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom