Goodbye 1 seed we need to win the ACCT or we will be sent to Indy or Anaheim | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye 1 seed we need to win the ACCT or we will be sent to Indy or Anaheim

Alsacs

Living Legend
The obvious is now that we lost to Georgia Tech we don't deserve a 1 seed that is for sure. I can't say enough stuff expressing my frustration last night. I honestly want to know what the heck we do in practice to improve the offense. Our offense has been Ennis and Fair for a while now. Cooney has killed the offense, Rak/Baye have been role players, and Gbinije/Roberson haven't been giving us much the whole year. Without Grant we played 2 on 5. I can't express enough frustration now. I have been biting the bullet, but our offense has been terrible for 2 years now.

It all will come down to us out lasting Duke in the ACC Tourney. That's basically it. If we end up playing them in the semi's then winner gets a spot in the east.

It all will come down to us out lasting Duke in the ACC Tourney. That's basically it. If we end up playing them in the semi's then winner gets a spot in the east.
UVA is closer to the East than to the South. They could be the 2 seed in the East.

I think this is our destiny come March 17 unless we win the ACCT. North Carolina can pass us on the S-Curve as well if they won @Duke. Best ACC team is going to be in the East, and 2nd best will be in the South. I think Syracuse can still be 1st if we won the ACCT, but I don't think we can be 2nd with a loss now. We will be 1st or 3rd, 4th depending on what UNC does.
Midwest, Indianapolis
1. Wichita State
2. Kansas
3. Syracuse
4. Michigan State
or
West, Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. Syracuse
3. San Diego State
4. Iowa State

UVA is closer to the East than to the South. They could be the 2 seed in the East.

I think this is our destiny come March 17 unless we win the ACCT. North Carolina can pass us on the S-Curve as well if they won @Duke. Best ACC team is going to be in the East, and 2nd best will be in the South. I think Syracuse can still be 1st if we won the ACCT, but I don't think we can be 2nd with a loss now. We will be 1st or 3rd, 4th depending on what UNC does.
Midwest, Indianapolis
1. Wichita State
2. Kansas
3. Syracuse
4. Michigan State
or
West, Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. Syracuse
3. San Diego State
4. Iowa State

I am more worried about Duke than Virginia right now.

Midwest, Indianapolis
1. Wichita State
2. Kansas
3. Syracuse
4. Michigan State
or
West, Anaheim
1. Arizona
2. Syracuse
3. San Diego State
4. Iowa State

I'd sign up for that Midwest Bracket.

F the seeding right now. I'm tired of that talk. This team needs to improve, change things up, get Grant back, etc. We have two of what the committee calls 'BAD' losses. At home and recent. Even when Grant was playing often it was offensively challenged ball minus the Duke game the last two months. "The offense needs to get better. The offense needs to get better." Maybe it's simply a personnel issue on a thin team. Cooney can't sit long because nobody else is a threat from deep. Cooney is logging LOTS of minutes compared to barely playing last season. Ennis barely has any breaks from ballhandling duties. Silent G is not a PG. He's passive with a shaky handle albeit it's getting better. Patterson isn't ready. Roberson isn't ready. Ugh. On defense, the back line is being exposed too much since Ennis/Cooney have become a sieve up there. Keita is a big liability right now with that brace. Rak, who Boeheim subtly hammered the most in the presser, is an enigma. I hope things get turned around but won't be surprised if they don't.

Last edited:
F the seeding right now. I'm tired of that talk. This team needs to improve, change things up, get Grant back, etc. We have two of what the committee calls 'BAD' losses. At home and recent. Even when Grant was playing often it was offensively challenged ball minus the Duke game the last two months. "The offense needs to get better. The offense needs to get better." Maybe it's simply a personnel issue on a thin team. Cooney can't sit long because nobody else is a threat from deep. Cooney is logging LOTS of minutes compared to barely playing last season. Ennis barely has any breaks from ballhandling duties. Silent G is not a PG He's passive with a shaky handle albeit it's getting better. Patterson isn't ready. Roberson isn't ready. Ugh. On defense, the back line is being exposed too much since Ennis/Cooney have become a sieve up there. Keita is a big liability right now with that brace. Rak, who Boeheim subtly hammered the most in the presser, is an enigma. I hope things get turned around but won't be surprised if they don't.
Offense is going to suck because we have no guard depth. I kinda blame that on JB's style and he is lucky Ennis has been as good as he has been as a Freshman or we would be even worse. Gbinije/Cooney have been terrible in ACC play outside of the Notre Dame game by Cooney. JB's break them down for 1 year style has made our bench completely useless. Honestly JB would be better off playing the 8-11 players for 2-3 minutes in the first half and giving the starters a rest. With how teams play passive and stall the clock it wouldn't be many possessions the bench would be playing.

Offense is going to suck because we have no guard depth. I kinda blame that on JB's style and he is lucky Ennis has been as good as he has been as a Freshman or we would be even worse. Gbinije/Cooney have been terrible in ACC play outside of the Notre Dame game by Cooney. JB's break them down for 1 year style has made our bench completely useless. Honestly JB would be better off playing the 8-11 players for 2-3 minutes in the first half and giving the starters a rest. With how teams play passive and stall the clock it wouldn't be many possessions the bench would be playing.

Yeah, I hear ya. Will be very interesting to see if things can get better. That Duke game was just a 'playing out of their minds' type performance. I do think they do try hard and have fight which is a very good thing. Either better offense isn't taught, the personnel isn't up to the task or is flawed, or they just can't execute the plans. Who knows.

The obvious is now that we lost to Georgia Tech we don't deserve a 1 seed that is for sure. I can't say enough stuff expressing my frustration last night. I honestly want to know what the heck we do in practice to improve the offense. Our offense has been Ennis and Fair for a while now. Cooney has killed the offense, Rak/Baye have been role players, and Gbinije/Roberson haven't been giving us much the whole year. Without Grant we played 2 on 5. I can't express enough frustration now. I have been biting the bullet, but our offense has been terrible for 2 years now.

I could go longer than that as well. The offense has always cost us the exits from these Tourneys. With or without injuries. The 2H of Marquette, Indiana, and certainly the Michigan game were junkyard offensively. All I hear about is that Michigan Triche play but it's bad offense that gets us into those predicaments when the D is mostly very good. Louisville was surging and would've destroyed us in the title game if we had reached there.

Last edited:
We can't even win in the Carrier Dome. Who cares about the east regional at this point? Righting the ship is more important.
yeah no kidding.

they cant win when they have 30k rooting for them and we are worried about whether the Orange can get to buffalo and NYC where they will have about 10k out of 20k rooting for them??

baby steps...

SoBeCuse said:
I could go longer than that as well. The offense has always cost us the exits from these Tourneys. With or without injuries. The 2H of Marquette, Indiana, and certainly the Michigan game were junkyard offensively. All I hear about is that Michigan Triche play but it's bad offense that gets us into those predicaments when the D is mostly very good. Louisville was surging and would've destroyed us in the title game if we had reached there.
Offenses suck when you can't put the ball in the hoop. Watch how many open shots we miss. Then watch how many tech hit.

Offenses suck when you can't put the ball in the hoop. Watch how many open shots we miss. Then watch how many tech hit.

I said this exact same thing last night. Tech made so many open looks and we missed everything we shot from the perimeter. The guy next to me said "wow...so thats what happens when you hit open shots."

Marsh01 said:
I said this exact same thing last night. Tech made so many open looks and we missed everything we shot from the perimeter. The guy next to me said "wow...so thats what happens when you hit open shots."
The thing this team is really missing is the fast break. Easy 10-15 points a game are gone.

The thing this team is really missing is the fast break. Easy 10-15 points a game are gone.
thats because we are not causing as many turnovers. Especially the last 2 games

F the seeding right now. I'm tired of that talk. This team needs to improve, change things up, get Grant back, etc. We have two of what the committee calls 'BAD' losses. At home and recent. Even when Grant was playing often it was offensively challenged ball minus the Duke game the last two months. "The offense needs to get better. The offense needs to get better." Maybe it's simply a personnel issue on a thin team. Cooney can't sit long because nobody else is a threat from deep. Cooney is logging LOTS of minutes compared to barely playing last season. Ennis barely has any breaks from ballhandling duties. Silent G is not a PG. He's passive with a shaky handle albeit it's getting better. Patterson isn't ready. Roberson isn't ready. Ugh. On defense, the back line is being exposed too much since Ennis/Cooney have become a sieve up there. Keita is a big liability right now with that brace. Rak, who Boeheim subtly hammered the most in the presser, is an enigma. I hope things get turned around but won't be surprised if they don't.

I totally agree with this post. Everything that has happened prior to the last 5 games is meaningless. The team as it is playing right now will lose in the first or second round in my opinion. The team has had plenty of time to turn this around. It's more than just Grant being out. Maybe Cooney found a girlfriend three weeks ago. I don't know what it is but this is not the team that beat Duke in the Dome.

Marsh01 said:
thats because we are not causing as many turnovers. Especially the last 2 games
agreed but even when we do we start dribbling in circles.,,our guys lack fundamentals on te break. Watch Roberson. He runs right down the middle! First thing they teach is to spread out and fill lanes..,

agreed but even when we do we start dribbling in circles.,,our guys lack fundamentals on te break. Watch Roberson. He runs right down the middle! First thing they teach is to spread out and fill lanes..,

We look discombobulated.

Last night when we had fastbreak opportunities Cooney was wide open at least twice and we never found him. Not sure if that was because the person passing didnt think he would make the shot or not. On other occasions we would head down and forcibly look for Cooney as opposed to take the ball to the basket. When is the last time we had an alley-oop?

And for the love of Pete can we please win a GD jump ball!

Marsh01 said:
We look discombobulated. Last night when we had fastbreak opportunities Cooney was wide open at least twice and we never found him. Not sure if that was because the person pasing didnt think he would make the shot or not. On other occasions we would head down and forcibly look for Cooney as opposed to take the ball to the basket. When is the last time we had an alley-oop? And for the love of Pete can we please win a GD jump ball!
Cj had a lob to rak game before...but it's gone. Scoop/melo ran that play to perfection. Ennis is not crafty enough to hook his defender like scoop.

Yep, our offense being the problem is not that unusual. For some reason this post reminded me of this thread in the offseason when so many got their panties in a bunch from a reasonable comment by 'Oakland' disagreeing w/ Mike Waters:http://syracusefan.com/threads/mike-waters-basketball-chat-on-syracuse-com.59127/
http://syracusefan.com/threads/mike-waters-basketball-chat-on-syracuse-com.59127/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom