Goodine and Guerrier | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Goodine and Guerrier

I think both need to play more. I don’t consider QG a disappointment so far. He was overhyped with everyone expecting him to be a stud right away. That’s not fair to him.

Need more BG. I can’t watch Buddy out there for 35 a night if he isn’t hitting 45% from deep. He’s too big of a liability everywhere else. JG3 has been solid but his warts hurt, especially when Buddy is playing next to him.

Me, like most people thought they were our most ready recruits coming into the season. I did not think Girard would play much at all this year, but I was wrong. That goes to show you how not ready Goodine is. He seems very mechanical out there. We could use his athleticism, but I’m not sure he’s capable of being a threat.

That said Guerrier has to be the biggest disappointment. He’s built like Paul Harris, but he gets stripped as much as Harris and Oshae combined. These are two guys who I thought would be major contributor and help us be successful this year, but right now they have a ton of work to do. It’s dissapointing because they have athleticism and physicality. Two attributes we are sorely missing.

Goodine looks a lot like FR Tony Bland to me.

I too thought Guerrier would start from day 1 with Marek coming off the bench as the 6th man. I see a LOT of good things in Guerrier but just not consistent yet.
I agree. I can't see how this team can win with 2 frontcourt starters playing 30+ minutes and scoring 6 points each. QG has to play more minutes.

On the one hand, I like that he's confident enough to take that shot.

On the other hand, it's a terrible shot.

Yeah. He needs to get his points inside.
He can shoot it from anywhere. Unfortunately, he can only make it from aboot 12' and in.

He can shoot it from anywhere. Unfortunately, he can only make it from aboot 12' and in.
Until Edwards gets playing time we have nothing at center offensively. And the 2 people playing there don't rebound or score anyways. This is a lost year so at least play someone who can shoot.

Me, like most people thought they were our most ready recruits coming into the season. I did not think Girard would play much at all this year, but I was wrong. That goes to show you how not ready Goodine is. He seems very mechanical out there. We could use his athleticism, but I’m not sure he’s capable of being a threat.

That said Guerrier has to be the biggest disappointment. He’s built like Paul Harris, but he gets stripped as much as Harris and Oshae combined. These are two guys who I thought would be major contributor and help us be successful this year, but right now they have a ton of work to do. It’s dissapointing because they have athleticism and physicality. Two attributes we are sorely missing.
Then I’m sorry to say I think you expected way too much out of these guys or hopeful I should say

Wish I was wrong but hes raw as hell and has a ton to learn even with the basics of the game

LOL at any talent evaluator (not a commentary on anyone on here, I'm talking about the pros) who watched film on Guerrier and expected him to contribute as more than a role player this year.

He's a big guy who plays below the rim. Next.

Seriously, he seems to work hard, but he's going to need to improve a lot over a few seasons to be what some expected out of him as a freshman.

Goodine, whatever. He does some things well, but he's not ready to represent a dramatic upgrade to the lineup. In hindsight, this team desperately needed Carey to make a leap this year.

That's a really nice comp. Maybe a little more fluid.

Think of how crazy it would have been to convert Bland to a point guard. This is what I see with Goodine.

I know some here thinks Q can shoot but I cringe every time he attempts a three. He needs to live around the basket only at this point of his career/development.

I know some here thinks Q can shoot but I cringe every time he attempts a three. He needs to live around the basket only at this point of his career/development.
What's wrong with that?
It's not as if the Orange have a lot of bodies hanging around the basket looking for tha ball.

Guerrier could play more. Marek isn't providing much. Goodine, meh, I haven't seen much that makes me think he's going to contribute a lot this season.
Buddy leads the team in FGA, he's 6th in FG%. He needs to take a break and feed Elijah and Quincy.

yeah howd Buddy look?
Buddy has not looked gun shy for sure. His green light needs to be switched to yellow and Goodine did some good things in NYC in the few minutes he got. Needs to get some time, but JB will be JB.

I liked the way Guerrier looked against Penn St. Yes he had some Oshae like butterfingers and fumbles when going to the hole. But he didn't play soft and was more than willing to mix it up. Again his lack of experience shows and there are times when the game speeds up on him on offense but he was willing to go hard to the basket and not settle for jumpers. I actually took it as a good sign that he he his shot blocked once or twice because it showed he was being aggressive going to the basket and not fading away which he has done earlier in the season. When he learns to box out better he will obviously improve on the boards. He's not an instinctive rebounder but with his motor that will come. All that said anyone who thought he might be a first rounder this year has to be on crack.
Brycen is another in the tradition of Syracuse freshmen who will play better when they are not looking over their should every time they make a mistake. He had a couple of shots that were great strokes but just didn't get down. If we can ever get a defensive rebound and get out on the break I think he will score in transition. I also think in close games JB should consider subbing him for JGIII on defense as Brycen is the best closeout defender at guard that we have.
One aside, when Buddy takes good shots he is very effective. When he doesn't and forces off balance shots when he is not square to the basket, he should be given a spot on the bench with his pops.

The warrior (QG) needs minutes and confidence. He has to start asserting himself and once he does we'll see the player we thought he was. Hopefully, Jim will let him go through the peeks and valleys and remain patient while effectively teaching this young man how to keep improving his game.

I was thinking that I would like to see a front court Sid Marek Hughes paired with Buddy Goodine. Hughes and Goodine can penatrate Get fouled or kick it it out to Buddy or Hughes/Goodine. All three can shoot and a bit stronger on the d

When JG is in put Hughes at the 2. QG Marek and Sid. Hughes and QG can drive if needed and you still have 2 shooters plus a bit taller in the front. It also gives JG help bringing the ball up in the defend if they put light press. JG has to work harder to get up the court which certainly won't help his legs.

Girard -- 38 assists/18 turnovers better than 2-1 ratio.
Goodine -- 8 assists/12 turnovers.

Girard is the best option at PG. His decision making is good. Doesn't turn it over. He needs to shoot better which means he needs to take better shots with less forcing off balance shots.

Girard is the best option at PG. His decision making is good. Doesn't turn it over. He needs to shoot better which means he needs to take better shots with less forcing off balance shots.

It's clear that the coaches have been trying to get him to shoot a true jumpshot and it's not going well. He's doing a scissor kick now every time he heaves it from three. It's worse form than Battle's full body seizures.

Like, literally.

BD9E9C3D-AE36-4ABE-A953-9928C93EE936.jpeg
FE48BF16-C7A4-4C24-9043-48DBAA17C282.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors