Goodine and Guerrier | Syracusefan.com

Goodine and Guerrier

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Me, like most people thought they were our most ready recruits coming into the season. I did not think Girard would play much at all this year, but I was wrong. That goes to show you how not ready Goodine is. He seems very mechanical out there. We could use his athleticism, but I’m not sure he’s capable of being a threat.

That said Guerrier has to be the biggest disappointment. He’s built like Paul Harris, but he gets stripped as much as Harris and Oshae combined. These are two guys who I thought would be major contributor and help us be successful this year, but right now they have a ton of work to do. It’s dissapointing because they have athleticism and physicality. Two attributes we are sorely missing.

Last edited:
Me, like most people thought they were our most ready recruits coming into the season. I did not think Girard would play much at all this year, but I was wrong. That goes to show you how not ready Goodine is. He seems very mechanical out there. We could use his athleticism, but I’m not sure he’s capable of being a threat.

That said Guerrier has to be the biggest disappointment. He’s built like Paul Harris, but he gets stripped as much as Harris and Oshae combined. These are two guys who I thought would be major contributor and help us be successful this year, but right now they have a ton of work to do. It’s dissapointing because they had athleticism and physicality. Two attributes we are sorely missing.

I disagree on Goodine. He needs minutes. The more he played last night the more comfortable he looked. I don’t think it’s mechanical but more trying not to make a mistake as he’s been getting so few minutes and comes in late first half.

Last night reaffirmed that he is by far the only guard we have that can play some defense. In the second half he did a good job up top and caused them some issues especially when he and Girard were trapping. His pressure caused one guy to turn right into Girard who then just took it away. Goodine is long and athletic and will be a very very good defender. He also had a defensive play on a fast break where he got back and disrupted the layup. At least I think it was him.

He’s also in my opinion our best guard at getting into the lane. He’s got some sneaky moves and quickness that got him inside a few times last night. Once he got near the rim, the big stepped up to him and he dumped it to Guerrier, who proceeded to bobble the ball. Another he got into the lane, kicked it out to the right, but the 3 was missed. I forget what happened another time he got inside.

He’s also a good shooter. Not Buddy or Girard good (although he won the 3 point shooting contest at midnight madness), but he made a 3 last night and had 2 others run out. While some say he’s not a good ball handler, I think he is more than good enough. Very smooth and moves well.

JB made a decision though that he wants his 3 best shooters out there together. It keeps a team from focusing on just one. But when 2 of them are off, we’re cooked. Goodine brings things the other 2 don’t. But if JB is going to go deep shooting first, he needs to stick with his starting lineup. But I’m still of the opinion that Goodine needs 20 mpg while the other two play about 30mpg. If we get stuck in this hole where Buddy and Girard are going to play 35+ like they have a couple times, hoping they get hot, then Goodine won’t progress as he should and then we’re screwed when Buddy and/or Girard are off.

That all folks. :)

I guess what I am trying to say is I thought he would be a shoe in starter and average around 12 and 7. If that was a bit hot, I didn’t mean it to be.

I too thought Guerrier would start from day 1 with Marek coming off the bench as the 6th man. I see a LOT of good things in Guerrier but just not consistent yet.

I disagree on Goodine. He needs minutes. The more he played last night the more comfortable he looked. I don’t think it’s mechanical but more trying not to make a mistake as he’s been getting so few minutes and comes in late first half.

Last night reaffirmed that he is by far the only guard we have that can play some defense. In the second half he did a good job up top and caused them some issues especially when he and Girard were trapping. His pressure caused one guy to turn right into Girard who then just took it away. Goodine is long and athletic and will be a very very good defender. He also had a defensive play on a fast break where he got back and disrupted the layup. At least I think it was him.

He’s also in my opinion our best guard at getting into the lane. He’s got some sneaky moves and quickness that got him inside a few times last night. Once he got near the rim, the big stepped up to him and he dumped it to Guerrier, who proceeded to bobble the ball. Another he got into the lane, kicked it out to the right, but the 3 was missed. I forget what happened another time he got inside.

He’s also a good shooter. Not Buddy or Girard good (although he won the 3 point shooting contest at midnight madness), but he made a 3 last night and had 2 others run out. While some say he’s not a good ball handler, I think he is more than good enough. Very smooth and moves well.

JB made a decision though that he wants his 3 best shooters out there together. It keeps a team from focusing on just one. But when 2 of them are off, we’re cooked. Goodine brings things the other 2 don’t. But if JB is going to go deep shooting first, he needs to stick with his starting lineup. But I’m still of the opinion that Goodine needs 20 mpg while the other two play about 30mpg. If we get stuck in this hole where Buddy and Girard are going to play 35+ like they have a couple times, hoping they get hot, then Goodine won’t progress as he should and then we’re screwed when Buddy and/or Girard are off.

I agree with your assessment of of Goodine. He needs time. Same is true with Guerrier.

I also think the 35+ minutes for Buddy and Girard is risky because shooters need their legs. If they're logging that kind of time every game, those jumpers are going to flatten out.

yep. so far, two key things that I was counting on for a successful season did not happen- Jalen Carey being a confident lead guard who could score and distribute, and QG being essentially Oshae v2

as bees said, JB gonna have to pick his poison with the guards - defensively the two starters right now are prob the worst we've ever seen at the top of the zone and if one/both are not hitting shots it makes no sense for Goodine not to play

I don't want to see a single three point shot attempt from Quincy for the rest of the year. Anytime he attempts a three is a bad possession for us.

I lost my mind on that one attempt last night where he pulled up from deep early in the shot clock with a guy in his grill like he was James Harden or something.

As one of the few players on our roster who doesn't have the muscle mass of a 12 year old, he needs to be banging inside and shooting medium range jumpers if open.

Last edited:
I don't want to see a single three point shot attempt from Quincy for the rest of the year. Anytime he attempts a three is a bad possession for us.

I lost my mind on that one attempt last night where he pulled up from deep early in the shot clock with a guy in his grill like he was James Harden or something.

He needs to be banging inside and shooting medium range jumpers if open.
On the one hand, I like that he's confident enough to take that shot.

On the other hand, it's a terrible shot.

Yeah. He needs to get his points inside.

Also, I think Q should start over Marek. I like Marek in more of a utility role, where he could sub in at the 4 or 5 and still play 20-25 minutes per game.
yep

Goodine hasn't looked good in any time he's had on the court.

eh not true - he looked fine last night, and was better as the game went on - I'd say he added more value last night than Buddy

We can agree to disagree. I was there and he looked gun shy.

Girard drove into the lane several times and seemed to get stuck, I didn;t like that. I love the way he plays except for that. I can see Guerrier's potential. Havent seen enough of Goodine to make a determination yet.

Considering how we got muscled around last night, we need Guerrier in there to at least have some beef on the floor. I don't know how many minutes he is averaging, but it's not anywhere close to what he needs to develop competitive skills and confidence. He could easily get 10 of Marek's minutes which I don't think would hurt us. Just my opinion.

yeah howd Buddy look?

He was awful. I said it multiple times in the game thread. If they had better guards on the bench he would have rotted. I also said in the Buddy thread that he looked like he belonged at Cornell with his brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom