Goodman with JB | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Goodman with JB

People just love that stat, with ZERO context. :rolleyes:

He was The Man for Cornell that year. Pretty much their main offensive option.
So naturally he got all of the attention of the other teams, who would likely assign their best defender on him, send doubles at him, etc.

Do you really think Junior would draw that sort of defensive attention here??

He’s realistically going to be our 3rd or 4th option anytime he’s on the floor. Not unlike Marek was.

I’d honestly be shocked if he doesn’t shoot at least mid-high 30’s from 3, given that he’ll likely be on the floor w some combo of:
Buddy, Joe, Cole and/or Benny.
He was the leading scorer on an Ivy team that finished 7-20. I don’t care who may have been guarding him….it was still the Ivy League. I sure as hell hope he kicks butt here but I am worried about his ability to guard and rebound more than anything else. We will find out soon enough.

He was the leading scorer on an Ivy team that finished 7-20. I don’t care who may have been guarding him….it was still the Ivy League. I sure as hell hope he kicks butt here but I am worried about his ability to guard and rebound more than anything else. We will find out soon enough.
It’s like people here didn’t watch Cornell play Syracuse the last few years. Jimmy looked like the most polished offensive player on the court and definitely looked the part physically. No surprise to me if he starts over a freshman… unless that freshman is Melo or someone Duke/Kentucky recruited.

It’s like people here didn’t watch Cornell play Syracuse the last few years. Jimmy looked like the most polished offensive player on the court and definitely looked the part physically. No surprise to me if he starts over a freshman… unless that freshman is Melo or someone Duke/Kentucky recruited.
Just stop. Unless you’d prefer not getting highly ranked recruits in the future

Last edited:

I think this is debatable and the reason there is so much discussion already. As good as people want to say he was at Cornell his last year he didn’t make any of the All Ivy Post Season teams and I think that says something about how he was viewed as a player there. In fact the only Cornell player to garner post season acknowledgement (honorable mention) was the McBride kid.

i don’t see him getting a lot of shots to be honest. There is only one ball and I think Joe and Buddy will get the lions share of the shots.

136A4F62-BDF7-436A-A12F-4E313EC0A744.png

Just stop. Unless you’d prefer not getting highly ranked recruit in future
No offense but if these kids are going to stay only one year anyways, then play the kid who gives you the best shot to win regardless of a age. No sense in developing a kid of who will either go pro if he is any good or transfer if he’s not. In the days when kids stayed 2/3 years, then sure you work on developing a skinny freshman into a mature sophomore or junior… but those days seem long gone.

The one caveat is if JB is playing a kid because of nepotism over another then yeah, that’s pretty bad. But I prefer to withhold judgement until I see the team play. I’ve seen Jimmy play against us at least 2 years and he always looked to be as strong as our guys, with a decent offensive game. I think he will make a really good 3rd or 4th option based on what I saw against us. I’m sure Benny is talented, but I’m not attending practice and we have zero game film, so I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt here.

Having said all that… if Benny does look better, I’ll definitely have a hot take ready for it. I got jumped on for saying 2 years ago that JG3 should start so I’m not afraid to change my mind.

I think this is debatable and the reason there is so much discussion already. As good as people want to say he was at Cornell his last year he didn’t make any of the All Ivy Post Season teams and I think that says something about how he was viewed as a player there. In fact the only Cornell player to garner post season acknowledgement (honorable mention) was the McBride kid.

i don’t see him getting a lot of shots to be honest. There is only one ball and I think Joe and Buddy will get the lions share of the shots.

View attachment 208282
Confusing? I thought that the Ivy League did not play in 2020—2021 because of COVID restrictions.

I’m worried that JB thinks it’s Jr., even though the kid shot 29 percent from 3 at Cornell his last season there. Not good. I hope he’s talking about Benny, who’s a good shooter, but I think it may be Jr.
Valid point about Jr's shooting, but (not going after you personally) why would that be a problem? Cole Swider will play the 3 - which makes perfect sense because he is a perimeter assassin. Jr. will be playing PF - i.e., a Merek-like role running the high low with Edwards and Sid and helping on the boards. That negates any issues with his outside shot, and gives us a long, experienced guy who's crafty around the post, can finish inside and can hit from < 15 feet. That is exactly what he did to us in the Dome a couple years back.

Those worried about Benny should relax. He is going to get minutes because he can sub either forward position. If anything, rather than his outside shot I have questions about Jr.'s rebounding in the role that I think the staff has carved out for him. Fortunately, with Jesse logging the lion's share of the 5 minutes, Jr's rebounding role will be complimentary.

Last edited:
The board was worked up over Patrick Tape last offseason and Jimmy is a better basketball play than he is haha

Can’t let his last name dictate how ya feel about him before he plays a game in Orange

Valid point about Jr's shooting, but (not going after you personally) why would that be a problem? Cole Swider will play the 3 - which makes perfect sense because he is a perimeter assassin. Jr. will be playing PF - i.e., a Merek-like role running the high low with Edwards and Sid and helping on the boards. That negates any issues with his outside shot, and gives us a long, experienced guy who's crafty around the post, can finish inside and can hit from inside 15 feet (exactly what he did to us in the Dome a couple years back).

Those worried about Benny should relax. He is going to get minutes because he can sub either forward position. If anything, I have questions about Jr.'s rebounding in the role that I think the staff has carved out for him, not his outside shot.
Having a true big that can hold the opposing center off the boards may allow the forwards to rebound better.

Another point we can make is this: the conventional wisdom on the board here is that playing time equals development. Refer to Jesse Edwards. So, if Jr is a mediocre player but plays due to nepotism, then it’s no problem because he will simply develop at the hugely accelerated rate the board believes would happen with other players if they played more. So either way, we’ll be good. Jr will be a great player or if he isn’t, the minutes he gets will make him a great player.

So give Jimmy Jr the same resume and experience, but change his last name to Smith...he starts over Benny?
Ask the similar question about Buddy and set it back a couple of years. There were gripes and claims of favoritism. Who was right?

Ask the similar question about Buddy and set it back a couple of years. There were gripes and claims of favoritism. Who was right?
Buddy wasn't 22 with a college resume and starting over our best recruit in years.

Buddy wasn't 22 with a college resume and starting over our best recruit in years.
All true. My point is people assumed the worst and the coaches judgment was confirmed. I believe it will be the same. If he plays it will be when and under the circumstances which coach BELIEVES give us the best chance to win.

It doesn’t matter what we think because JB makes the decision (aka Kadary).

Are we shutting down the message board? Pretty much true of most of what we discuss.
I would think it would be a pretty safe bet that all the local media, all the coaches (including JAB) and the players have read what is posted here. Some much more than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom