Google Chromecast and SU Hoops | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Google Chromecast and SU Hoops

This is exactly what I do. Great minds think alike. :D
you would go thru most of a data plan using 4g for one game. depends on your plan but it would easily use 4gig or more to watch a game from a cell phone using 4g.

But you don't have to use your PC, correct? You just stream the signal from your IP (without a phone), like Netflix.
My daughter streams to my chromecast from her cell phone.

There are lots of games that are only available by way of ESPN3. Tonight's SU hoops and soccer games, for example.
i watched the game on channel 390 i think it was yesterday.

If it's just to see games on ESPN3 then yes you'll still need the cable subscription, however the Chromecast will allow you to stream games to your TV that would otherwise only be available for viewing on your computer/tablet/smartphone.

But you can also use Chromecast to stream most if not all video that is on the internet to your TV. So you could watch Youtube on your TV, Netflix, or any app/service that streams over the internet.
if i have a smart tv with netflix and youtube etc already built into it..is it still useful?

FYI, if you have a new TiVo (Roamio), it acts as a DIAL (Discovery and Launch) Server (i.e. first screen type device such as tv, blu ray player, set top box).
You can cast to it.

I DVR'd the game yesterday and didn't plan on watching it until ~7 PM. When I started the ESPNU recording I found a freaking soccer game had gone to 2OT and eaten into the first ~10 minutes of the SU game. I then thought to check if WatchESPN had already archived the game, and yes the full broadcast was available. Switched over to WatchESPN, streamed it with my Chromecast and was able to watch in its entirety.

if i have a smart tv with netflix and youtube etc already built into it..is it still useful?
Not sure I can answer that for you, but ask yourself this question--do you find yourself watching video online that you are unable to stream to your TV? If the answer is yes, then yes Chromecast would be useful. If you can cover all your streaming video needs with your smart tv, then Chromecast may not add much value. FYI you can also stream any webpage (regardless of whether it has video or not) viewed in Google Chrome web browser to your TV via Chromecast.

Not sure I can answer that for you, but ask yourself this question--do you find yourself watching video online that you are unable to stream to your TV? If the answer is yes, then yes Chromecast would be useful. If you can cover all your streaming video needs with your smart tv, then Chromecast may not add much value. FYI you can also stream any webpage (regardless of whether it has video or not) viewed in Google Chrome web browser to your TV via Chromecast.
that last part is pretty cool. so you use your 60inch flat screen as a gigantic computer screen essentially.

... ive researched chromecast, appletv and roku and i swear i don't understand what the point of it is. What can you do with them if you already have cable? I considered getting rid of time warner and replacing it with one of those devices, but it seems like without time warner login that you cant watch espn app stuff anyways. ...

I added a new TV in my home office, and rather than signing up for an additional TW cable box/DVR at $14/month extra, I put a Roku in there to watch sports on the WatchESPN channel, for free. Of course, you need to have one active TW subscription to do that, but at least I don't have to pay TW for a second box.

I added a new TV in my home office, and rather than signing up for an additional TW cable box/DVR at $14/month extra, I put a Roku in there to watch sports on the WatchESPN channel, for free. Of course, you need to have one active TW subscription to do that, but at least I don't have to pay TW for a second box.
Interesting idea! See now THAT makes sense to me. You cant record things on roku or the others im assuming. Just streaming things live correct?

Interesting idea! See now THAT makes sense to me. You cant record things on roku or the others im assuming. Just streaming things live correct?

That's correct -- the Roku is just for streaming, not recording.

I've had a roku for years (great product!)---how do you use it to watch SU games? Or are you saying you HAVE to have the Roku stick?

Edit: is ESPN3 available through Roku? If it is, and I'm just finding this out now I think I might go put my head through a wall lol.
Yes...just go through the Watch ESPN app. You can even scroll down to the ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, LonghornTV apps...find that scroll to the right. The ACC app will come up. You can find older SU games through that.

Yes...just a way see video content on your TV. The nice thing is you don't need to get a smart TV. I gave away my Apple TV to my son as it only has about 35 apps...ROKU has over a 1000 apps.

Roku works great for me as I don't have to watch ESPN3 broadcasts on my computer anymore...I stream it to my TV. The picture is always near HD in quality. You can also run things like Netflix or Amazon Prime through t for movies. If you are stuck with Time Warner they have an app on Roku to watch content live. I only have one Time Warner box now. I can stream content to my other TVs.

That's correct -- the Roku is just for streaming, not recording.
True, but with WatchESPN, HBO Go, etc, everything is archived for at least a little while. For instance, I don't bother to DVR anything on HBO anymore because I can just go on HBO Go on my Roku and watch it the next day anyway.

Agreed
I might add, that anyone that has more than one DVR in their house is throwing their money away. No need to have more than one cable box.

Also, I just checked - everything from the last 30 days appears to be archived on WatchESPN, so definitely no need to DVR games that are on the ESPN family of networks (assuming you have no restrictions...for instance, my cable company only allows for ESPN3, but that generally covers me because I have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc, anyway).

Agreed
I might add, that anyone that has more than one DVR in their house is throwing their money away. No need to have more than one cable box.

Since it was mandated by the Feds that everyone go digital my cable company has used this as an excuse to charge extra for the digital boxes i need to add tvs. I looked into free antenna tv, but we are not in a good location (within 30 miles of a broadcast), so I am moving to chromecast and HuluTV for a new tv i need to get programming on. So I can get programming on a tv and huluplus for about the same monthly fee as the cable company wants for the box.
Intrigued by enthusiasm for Roku, but have 2 chromecasts already, so probably will stick with it. Regularly watch espn3 games.

Since it was mandated by the Feds that everyone go digital my cable company has used this as an excuse to charge extra for the digital boxes i need to add tvs. I looked into free antenna tv, but we are not in a good location (within 30 miles of a broadcast), so I am moving to chromecast and HuluTV for a new tv i need to get programming on. So I can get programming on a tv and huluplus for about the same monthly fee as the cable company wants for the box.
Intrigued by enthusiasm for Roku, but have 2 chromecasts already, so probably will stick with it. Regularly watch espn3 games.
If you're already getting everything you need from your Chromecasts, then yeah, you don't need to switch things up.

But for anyone just jumping into the pool, I again could not recommend Roku more highly. Go for the Roku Stick, which is only $50 and plugs directly into your TV, the same way a Chromecast does, only you don't need a secondary device to do any streaming.

Good thread, thanks to all here for sharing thoughts on it. I'd never even heard of Google Chromecast or Roku until I read through this, so it's been enlightening. Seems to me SenorPalmer's question - "do you find yourself watching video online that you are unable to stream to your TV?" is the acid test. I don't have a cell phone (let alone a smartphone) or a tablet, don't have NetFlix and I can't get ESPN. Worse, ESPN3 on line has been unreliable, often times SU games I've tried to catch have been "unavailable." FWIW, however, I might get into a tablet this year, but it surely won't have a Windows based OS. I'm stuck with Win 8.1 on my desktop and I hate it, so I'll probably go with an iPad, although I'm not letting iTunes anywhere near my already carefully indexed, 10G stash of music that I spent hours mining Kazaa, BearShare, etc for. Too bad it's all 128 bps, LOL!

Thanks again, all :)

Good thread, thanks to all here for sharing thoughts on it. I'd never even heard of Google Chromecast or Roku until I read through this, so it's been enlightening. Seems to me SenorPalmer's question - "do you find yourself watching video online that you are unable to stream to your TV?" is the acid test. I don't have a cell phone (let alone a smartphone) or a tablet, don't have NetFlix and I can't get ESPN. Worse, ESPN3 on line has been unreliable, often times SU games I've tried to catch have been "unavailable." FWIW, however, I might get into a tablet this year, but it surely won't have a Windows based OS. I'm stuck with Win 8.1 on my desktop and I hate it, so I'll probably go with an iPad, although I'm not letting iTunes anywhere near my already carefully indexed, 10G stash of music that I spent hours mining Kazaa, BearShare, etc for. Too bad it's all 128 bps, LOL!

Thanks again, all :)

You just have to wait until Rogers gets in bed with a US company. Is there really any reason why US/Canada can't be seamless for cable/phones? Hey, we'll even let you keep a few of your CBC programs...I started to watch some this summer at my camp. BTW, I totally dig going over to Kingston when I can...Never been to Alberta. On my list of things to do.

Agreed
OY. Im throwin my money away. haha.

slap.gif

You just have to wait until Rogers gets in bed with a US company. Is there really any reason why US/Canada can't be seamless for cable/phones? Hey, we'll even let you keep a few of your CBC programs...I started to watch some this summer at my camp. BTW, I totally dig going over to Kingston when I can...Never been to Alberta. On my list of things to do.

ESPN is blocked on cable in favor of TSN, aka the "Toronto Sports Network." I'd need a dish and a US billing address (very doable) to get around it. Maybe one day ...

When you make it out here, there's a cold one waiting, or two ... Virtually everything you can see on this is within 1-2 hours of Hacienda dela Vacca. Some of the CNYers I grew up with still can't figure out why I live here ... :noidea: