Got to figure out run D | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Got to figure out run D

Dungey had an off day against Pitt, but so did just about everyone else who played for SU. Coming off the Clemson game SU was more than a little banged up and they were playing on the road again. The good news is that the Clemson defense is by far the best defense SU will play against all season. SU doesn't play Miami this season, and their defense is also really good.

The best defenses the Cuse will face going forward appear to be NC State and Notre Dame and both of those defenses statistically are better than average and good but no where near the caliber of Clemson's defense. After this bye week SU will be rested, and I expect to see the offense hum again against the UNC defense at home. And then looking ahead a bit Wake and Louisville both have had big problems so far this season on defense, and neither team so far has had the production on offense to compensate.

I see a bowl this season. Go Cuse!!

Dungey doesn't look hurt to me. He looked rattled trying to deal with the pressures they were showing. Same thing that happened against MTSU.
I thought Whit played well against lesser comp but has clearly struggled against bigger athletes and more physical fronts. I'm not encouraged if they stick with him at the will. I actually think Guthrie would be a better fit with Richard's or Williams at the mike. I'd be curious to see what Williams looked like at the will. Either way, I don't think a change is likely.
I also think Cisco and Foster have alot of stepping up to do in run defense, some really bad angles and whiffs on tackles that we shouldn't see.
I too think Guthrie would be a better mike. I like Whit but guthrie makes more plays.

I too think Guthrie would be a better mike. I like Whit but guthrie makes more plays.
Guthrie is the Mike now. I'm saying I like him better at the will

Sports fans... I don't think it's likely we get better against the run.

I think it's more likely that the offense performs better and our opponent's have to choose keeping the clock running while they play catch up running the ball.
It’s an efficiency thing. Every incremental stop that the defense gets is a score that the offense doesn’t have to get. And, every score that the offense gets is a stop that the defense doesn’t have to.

One incremental good play would have been the difference for both of our losses.

But I agree that I expect the offense to improve the most. We’re one guy stepping up away from being legitimately good.

It’s an efficiency thing. Every incremental stop that the defense gets is a score that the offense doesn’t have to get. And, every score that the offense gets is a stop that the defense doesn’t have to.

One incremental good play would have been the difference for both of our losses.

But I agree that I expect the offense to improve the most. We’re one guy stepping up away from being legitimately good.

Doesn’t quite work that way. Points per drive are generally less than 7. So one scoring drive is more valuable than a 3 and out.

I agree with the overall point for sure. We were very close in both games.

The Syracuse linebackers have really struggled at getting off blocks and tackling. Linebackers need to do a much better job of shedding the blocker. The opposing runner is consistently getting several more yards after contact. I have noticed that Syracuse linebackers and safeties have been tackling high and are being dragged for several more yards after initial contact. It's almost as if they are absorbing the hit (catching the runner) instead of delivering the blow. The other negative is the angle of the tackle, especially safeties in run support. The angle taken is really bad and the runner either side steps the tackler or runs through an arm tackle. Both of these issues should be non factors but here we are. I hope over the bye week, these and other issues have been addressed and corrected by the defensive staff and players. Go Orange!!!!!!

Why not Armstrong, at least on running plays? He's the only LB I've seen make a solid downhill tackle on a good RB all year (Ollison). Trill Williams popped Ollison as well - he seems to have potential in run support. I think Cordy's hurt - he's also good, and there's another safety hurt. But those are secondary guys. Where's our LB depth? We have a big, fast talented backup, like Richards. Why is he practicing pass rushing when he could be shedding blocks and annihilating RBs? I'm not being doom and gloom - we're 4-2 and we can win more games. But clearly we're at an inflection point .. where the season could go either way.

Doesn’t quite work that way. Points per drive are generally less than 7. So one scoring drive is more valuable than a 3 and out.

I agree with the overall point for sure. We were very close in both games.
Nobody said 7 vs 3.

And if you really want to get into the weeds, the correct metric would be points per scoring drive. But I’d be surprised if our points per scoring drive is markedly different than our opponent’s points per scoring drive in the long run. Yes, there might be variances in individual games, but that’s FAR too into the weeds.

Guthrie is the Mike now. I'm saying I like him better at the will
As I have talked about before we are taught to step back or wait till play is developed before moving which means your letting lineman get a free release 2-3 yds downfield before any contact is made. We should be a downhill especially knowing they are running.

Why not Armstrong, at least on running plays? He's the only LB I've seen make a solid downhill tackle on a good RB all year (Ollison). Trill Williams popped Ollison as well - he seems to have potential in run support. I think Cordy's hurt - he's also good, and there's another safety hurt. But those are secondary guys. Where's our LB depth? We have a big, fast talented backup, like Richards. Why is he practicing pass rushing when he could be shedding blocks and annihilating RBs? I'm not being doom and gloom - we're 4-2 and we can win more games. But clearly we're at an inflection point .. where the season could go either way.
Been saying same thing it’s killin me

Cordy might be strong but there is a reason Dino wanted him on O. Our LBs are simply to small to contain a power running team. We need our O to get and maintain leads.

Every team we play will do what Clemson and Pitt did to us the last 2 games until we fix it. Fixing will have to involve doing SOMETHING different, whether that's scheme, improved play, change in personnel or some combination of the three.

a-live-look-at-the-syracuse-defense-35941259.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom