Gotta do no worse than 2-2 out of the gate | Syracusefan.com

Gotta do no worse than 2-2 out of the gate

Marsh01

Living Legend
Seeing we are not beating USC, beating either Northwestern or Minny is crucial. Assuming we beat Stonybrook splitting with the Big10 schools is something that needs to be done heading int into the bye week with Pitt following the bye.

Finishing with Louisville (who we cant beat it seems like), Mizzou which will be a very difficult game and at Temple is a tough way to end the season.

Seeing we are not beating USC, beating either Northwestern or Minny is crucial. Assuming we beat Stonybrook splitting with the Big10 schools is something that needs to be done heading int into the bye week with Pitt following the bye.

Finishing with Louisville (who we cant beat it seems like), Mizzou which will be a very difficult game and at Temple is a tough way to end the season.

I would worry if we just start 0-2. If we lose a tough one to NW and then get blown out by USC, that Stony Brook game might have 10 people and the result won't matter (unless we were to lose).

I would worry if we just start 0-2. If we lose a tough one to NW and then get blown out by USC, that Stony Brook game might have 10 people and the result won't matter (unless we were to lose).

Bingo. Have to get that W vs NW to open if there is any hope for good crowd turnouts the rest of the way. W vs NW > W @ Minnesota (but would prefer Ws in both of course)

We should beat both of them. NW is home and Minny was horrible. No excuses.

We split with them in Marrone's first year, so I predict we go 0-2 but people will say we're making progress.

:eek:

We should beat both of them. NW is home and Minny was horrible. No excuses.

Minnesota started horrible, but intermittently played better as the year went on. This won't be an easy game--their dual threat QB frightens me.

But I agree--we need to beat them.

Not to be that guy but that Stony Brook game maybe a lot closer then people think. First of all our showings versus 1AA's under Marrone has been anything but good in his first three years and Stony Brook is a team made up with mostly NYC kids whose coach is going to be drilling in there heads all summer long that SU "passed" them over and this is there chance to make a statement. These kids are gonna play like its the superbowl and thats the last thing a potential 0-2 Syracuse team needs to walk into.

I believe SB has a running back who transferred from Iowa. They have talent.

Orange Koolaid aside, I think the best case scenario in that 4 game stretch is a 1-3 record, worse case 0-4. This team struggled all of last year. We beat Wake Forest, largely in part to bad camera angles and their starting QB leaving the game. We squeaked by a FCS school, beat Toledo on a phantom extra point. Then we give up a lead on a terrible non-BCS team in Tulane. We managed to win big against WVU, probably because they'd didn't give two sh**s and we caught them off guard.

I don't know how anyone can say with any type of certainty that this team should win this game and that game, because no one really knows.

I think the best case scenario in that 4 game stretch is a 1-3 record, worse case 0-4.

Easy there negative Nancy. Sure 1-3 is possible but best case scenario...? You might want to try some Prozac or something.

Yes they have Marcus Coker who rushed for 1,384 yards and scored 15 touchdowns at Iowa. He is really good. My dad went to Iowa so they are my favorite team after Syracuse and I follow them pretty closely.

Yes they have Marcus Coker who rushed for 1,384 yards and scored 15 touchdowns at Iowa. He is really good. My dad went to Iowa so they are my favorite team after Syracuse and I follow them pretty closely.

If we struggle against a team with 1 1A player and 84 (give or take) 1AA players, I would be at a loss.

Northwestern loses a ton on offense, have to beat them in the opener.

Minny, as RF said, has a dual threat QB, rushed for 1,000 this year. Lose their most productive WR (by far) but road games like this are never easy.

USC will beat us by 5 TDs.

2-2 is the most realistic prediction, but we might need to go 3-1 for bowl hopes. If we go 2-2, where are the other 4 wins? Rutgers, UConn, maybe Temple, and who? Is this the year we finally beat Pitt? Last time was 2 coaches and 8 years ago, that took 2 OTs. Before that was 2001.

We beat Wake Forest, largely in part to bad camera angles and their starting QB leaving the game.
Bad camera angles? Come on.

Their starting QB had everything to do with their defense giving up 15 points in the 4th quarter, right?

If we struggle against a team with 1 1A player and 84 (give or take) 1AA players, I would be at a loss.

Northwestern loses a ton on offense, have to beat them in the opener.

Minny, as RF said, has a dual threat QB, rushed for 1,000 this year. Lose their most productive WR (by far) but road games like this are never easy.

USC will beat us by 5 TDs.

2-2 is the most realistic prediction, but we might need to go 3-1 for bowl hopes. If we go 2-2, where are the other 4 wins? Rutgers, UConn, maybe Temple, and who? Is this the year we finally beat Pitt? Last time was 2 coaches and 8 years ago, that took 2 OTs. Before that was 2001.

Im struggling to get to six wins myself Chip if we dont get off to a 3-1 start. We havent beaten Pitt since Marrone took over and I dont see us beating Lville. Hopefully we cna finally beat UConn, heres a hint there going to run read option.

If we are 0-2 that game is gonna be a nightmare. Lets hope this team gets going early and beats Northwestern and keeps it some what close vs USC.

Well we might as well put a nail in the coffin now with the predictions you guys are throwing out there. No wonder Marrone closes practice with all the negativity here. I'd prefer the ridiculous optimism of Rutgers fan than this pessimism. Heck, what's the point of even following the program if you're not optimistic? Oh, USC is going to beat us down, well last time I checked UM lost to App State (!) and that was a home game for them. Oh, Minnesota is going to shred us with their QB. Yeah, maybe he gets his but what does their defense, WR, RB, coaching looking like. SB has a big scary RB, and a D 1AA line, defense, QB, WR, and coach around him. Now we don't even have enough confidence to give us a win against Temple?????? This place looks like a darn funeral. I wouldn't want to hold a recruiting event and socialize with you guys either if I was Marrone.

I could be wrong but this team does not have the talent to just show up and beat anyone and that includes Stoneybrook. Add to this that they are only playing 5 home games the fewest in the nation mind you and it's going to be a very tough year and injuries will play a huge part in the success or failure of this team. I just want to win that first game, stay healthy and go from there.

Well we might as well put a nail in the coffin now with the predictions you guys are throwing out there. No wonder Marrone closes practice with all the negativity here. I'd prefer the ridiculous optimism of Rutgers fan than this pessimism. Heck, what's the point of even following the program if you're not optimistic? Oh, USC is going to beat us down, well last time I checked UM lost to App State (!) and that was a home game for them. Oh, Minnesota is going to shred us with their QB. Yeah, maybe he gets his but what does their defense, WR, RB, coaching looking like. SB has a big scary RB, and a D 1AA line, defense, QB, WR, and coach around him. Now we don't even have enough confidence to give us a win against Temple?????? This place looks like a darn funeral. I wouldn't want to hold a recruiting event and socialize with you guys either if I was Marrone.
people predict based on what they have seen-and you have to ask why all the negativity?

You don't think we could possibly think the team will have a good season? I know this for a fact, the team really likes Marrone and he has been all over the field so far this spring trying to get pumped for the season. He was the biggest motivating factor on the team this winter and along with Coach Wheatley and Coach Schafer the team feels comfortable with how they'll do this season and are waiting to shock the world. That coming from a few kids on the team. This was not a team lacking talent last year it was a team lacking experience. Well guess what, they now have that experience and know what they have to do.

You don't think we could possibly think the team will have a good season? I know this for a fact, the team really likes Marrone and he has been all over the field so far this spring trying to get pumped for the season. He was the biggest motivating factor on the team this winter and along with Coach Wheatley and Coach Schafer the team feels comfortable with how they'll do this season and are waiting to shock the world. That coming from a few kids on the team. This was not a team lacking talent last year it was a team lacking experience. Well guess what, they now have that experience and know what they have to do.

I guess a team that started off 5-2 but hit a skid can only be judged on the down part of the season...it's the SU fan way of looking at things. couchburn

I am not making any predictions but I think Minny and NW are pretty much even match ups and could go eitherway. Tough to find 6 wins if we don't get 4 in conference

I guess a team that started off 5-2 but hit a skid can only be judged on the down part of the season...it's the SU fan way of looking at things. couchburn

yes they did look impressive almost god like in those games-not like the refs miss calls on field goals:rolling:

yes they did look impressive almost god like in those games-not like the refs miss calls on field goals:rolling:
Does that field goal change the outcome of the game? Maybe, but there was still overtime to play if they had caught it. So in your world we lost a game that there is no evidence to suggest we would have lost the game? Look at any college team last year, even top 25 and I bet you could find a whole lot not to like about their seasons as well. Syracuse isn't a team in a vacuum where we'll just be bad this season because we had a bad end to the year last year. How many other teams have collapsed before? I bet every program in the nation. How do we know we won't be competitive? Who says we lack the talent? It's not like there aren't any All-Big East players, or any good talent coming in. You're probably the most annoying poster on here that has never had anything good to say about the program.

Does that field goal change the outcome of the game? Maybe, but there was still overtime to play if they had caught it. So in your world we lost a game that there is no evidence to suggest we would have lost the game? Look at any college team last year, even top 25 and I bet you could find a whole lot not to like about their seasons as well. Syracuse isn't a team in a vacuum where we'll just be bad this season because we had a bad end to the year last year. How many other teams have collapsed before? I bet every program in the nation. How do we know we won't be competitive? Who says we lack the talent? It's not like there aren't any All-Big East players, or any good talent coming in. You're probably the most annoying poster on here that has never had anything good to say about the program.

no i just dont wish in one hand and -well you know

if we have talent it hasnt shown itself yet has it?

you believe the incoming freshman will make a impact?lol