Gottleib doubles down... | Syracusefan.com

Gottleib doubles down...

Said we haven't proved much to him as a team. He's still right, and people here just can't be wrong.

Wow...hard to argue with most of that... But, what an undressing. Maybe jb should have never said anything to a man who buys ink buy the truckload.

Seth Davis is owning Gottlieb right now regarding this topic at the half of the OSU game

Seth Davis is owning Gottlieb right now regarding this topic at the half of the OSU game

Summary, please!

This is the perfect way to respond, be very complimentary in an underhanded way. I use this tactic myself!

Oh, we didn't lose because of the officiating, X team deserved to win because they outplayed us, BUT.....

My first thought.....maybe we could get DC to go show Gottlieb who is and is not tough.

Second thought...Gottlieb is reading this forum. That article reads like it was written based on many of the arguments made here. I mean does he even mention the "in fairness" he's lost his center before 2 of the last 3 NCAA tournaments if he hadn't??

One thing I thought was funny. He argues..."Were the Orange different without Onaku? Sure, but had the Orange played tougher games before their conference schedule, maybe Boeheim would have developed the bench and ability to overcome adversity it faced in its NCAA tournament loss to Butler. Sure, the Orange lost a vital piece to their puzzle. But pace, tempo and Butler's toughness prevailed."

Anyone who has paid any attention to JB over the years knows that had we played tougher competition the exact opposite would have happened. The bench would have shrunk during those games and less guys would have played during those games.

I do agree about the toughness. We have never had the kind of teams that seem to like to mix it up and do whatever it takes to get a rebound or loose ball. I think we saw that on display against Temple, who typically has that type of personality.

He compares our tourney resume to all of the other coaches' elite 8, FF, championship appearances and yes JB's sweet 16 winning % stinks but more often than not in that game we actually have been underdogs due to our seeding typically being 3 or lower. Whereas all the other teams (except maybe Uconn) def have track records of getting more 1 or 2 seeds resulting in an easier path (easier opponents/closer venue to home) for getting them deeper in the tourney.

We have had 8 times where we were seeded #1 or #2 and we all know the stories about the last 2 times. The biggest area where JB's teams struggled had to be between 86 and 91 where we had five #2 seeds and one #3 only advancing to elite 8 twice (losing to #1 Illinois (elite 8) and # Indiana (finals)). This was a time period where we really should have been more successful so I agree that we underachieved for that era but for pretty much every other time period I believe that we were on par with our seeding losing a couple heart breakers and also playing better than our seeding lots of years.

LOL ... quite the long rebuttal ... I think he saw the light and realized how great he really was by the end of the article. He's great, he's just not great great. LOL ... everyone's got their opinion's dude.

I think it's funny how he said he wasn't one of the top 10 coaches in this era but he could only list 8 coaches even worthy of comparison.

He definitely helped prove and disprove his original statement ... which just shows his original statement came out his ass.

Doug, Eddie Sutton never won an National title. He is not legendary. He was at 4 schools in part because he was fired at kentucky for losing and getting caught cheating.

can't argue with any of his points. JB is the definition of sustained competence and longevity.

His best line - if the zone is so good then why has nobody else adapted it the way SU has (exclusively as a base defense)?

basically he compared Syracuse to the top 5 programs in the nation. If were #6 out of how many D1 teams i'll take it. That's in the top 2%. In my mind that's elite.

Doug, Eddie Sutton never won an National title. He is not legendary. He was at 4 schools in part because he was fired at kentucky for losing and getting caught cheating.

You can understand how Dougie Fresh might choose to overlook that, everyone deserves a second chance.

can't argue with any of his points. JB is the definition of sustained competence and longevity.

His best line - if the zone is so good then why has nobody else adapted it the way SU has (exclusively as a base defense)?
Other coaches can't teach it as well. Must be since other coaches aren't near as successful as JB has been.

Hi guys just wondering if anyone wants to talk about what a thief doug is and that his game was pedestrian at best, but at the end its just the facts and we didnt mean any harm by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other coaches can't teach it as well. Must be since other coaches aren't near as successful as JB has been.

That's a lazy answer. There's really not much to teach in zone. It's about repitition and getting the players to buy into the system, ie, rotating/hands up/ communicating.

This column proves without a shadow of a doubt that Gottlieb is:

A) Wrong
B) Biased

Most of us could tear what he wrote to shreds. Most of us won't because it's not worth it.

That's a lazy answer. There's really not much to teach in zone. It's about repitition and getting the players to buy into the system, ie, rotating/hands up/ communicating.
If it's so easy, why do other coaches have such lousy zones. There is a lot more to our zone than others. We trap out of it. Most teams don't. We extend. Most teams don't.

If it's so easy, why do other coaches have such lousy zones. There is a lot more to our zone than others. We trap out of it. Most teams don't. We extend. Most teams don't.

Didn't say it was easy. Defense in general isn't easy.

How many coaches duplicated Tark's Amoeba or Richardson's 40 Minutes of Hell?

It's not just a matter of teaching your kids to play a 2-3 zone. It means changing the way you recruit. Just because other coaches are unwilling to do that doesn't mean JB's doing something wrong.

How many coaches duplicated Tark's Amoeba or Richardson's 40 Minutes of Hell?

It's not just a matter of teaching your kids to play a 2-3 zone. It means changing the way you recruit. Just because other coaches are unwilling to do that doesn't mean JB's doing something wrong.

Didn't say he was doing something wrong.