Gottleib doubles down... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gottleib doubles down...

That's a lazy answer. There's really not much to teach in zone. It's about repitition and getting the players to buy into the system, ie, rotating/hands up/ communicating.

Oh Lord

That's a lazy answer. There's really not much to teach in zone. It's about repitition and getting the players to buy into the system, ie, rotating/hands up/ communicating.

Teaching zone is MUCH harder than M2M.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

For someone that doesn't have an anti-JB agenda, he sure spends a lot of time and effort talking about him year after year after year.

There is almost nothing in there that can't be counter argued. Hell, be even tried to down play the BE even though they get a zillion teams in the NCAA every year. The schedule argument he makes every year is silly. Somehow we end up with a very hood or great SOS every year.

The zone? Of course JB is the master of teaching it. It's why K brought him into his Olympic staff.

What a tool. Gottlieb makes what JB does sound so simple I am surprised he doesn't do it himself.

That article is two-thirds accurate and two-thirds idiotic.
Even if I agree with many of the points, it should never have been written, and his grudge should never be confused with journalism.

That article is two-thirds accurate and two-thirds idiotic.
Even if I agree with many of the points, it should never have been written, and his grudge should never be confused with journalism.
That adds up to four-thirds. I don't think that's possible :)

One thing I thought was funny. He argues..."Were the Orange different without Onaku? Sure, but had the Orange played tougher games before their conference schedule, maybe Boeheim would have developed the bench and ability to overcome adversity it faced in its NCAA tournament loss to Butler. Sure, the Orange lost a vital piece to their puzzle. But pace, tempo and Butler's toughness prevailed."

He loses credibility when he doesn't even do his homework. In 2009-2010 when we lost Onuaku we played and beat North Carolina at MSG, Florida at Florida and Memphis at home. We played Cornell and beat them by double digits and they ended up being 29-5 and an NCAA darling with wins over Temple and Wisconsin. He's so full of himself. At least do research and don't throw things against the wall just to see if they stick - analyze don't prostelythize. (poet and didn't know it)As I've said before he's best at self-promotion (good for him) but any valid points will get lost as long as he continually harangues on personal agendas.

No doubt right now we aren't a top team, he's right, but what that has to do with JB's march towards 903 and his fixation on critiquing and belittling JB's overall accomplishments is baffling.

ever consider that JB picking a fight with a sports "analyst" is the absurdity of it all? if I need ratings all I gotta do is push JB's buttons... which is not a hard thing to do.

The Blue Curtain Rises earlier than expected this season.

ever consider that JB picking a fight with a sports "analyst" is the absurdity of it all? if I need ratings all I gotta do is push JB's buttons... which is not a hard thing to do.

Of course getting personal with someone is simple to do when youre hiding behind your computer and you got computer balls the same thing as liquid courage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB was picking the fight?

I've been pretty anti- the pervasive anti-gottlieb agenda here over the years.

But this article demonstrates to me beyond the shadow of any further doubt that Gottlieb is unequivocally biased as hell when it comes to SU.

Honestly, he can go to hell for all I care from here on out--done defending the guy.

That adds up to four-thirds. I don't think that's possible :)

Meant to be a joke, tying myself to "idiotic." Sorry. I'll work on my humor. :bat:

It was pretty accurate...but also a douchy article that should not have been written.

Teaching zone is MUCH harder than M2M.

in 37 years i've been to practice more than any person sans coaches. jb never has ciached zone. in an interview a few yesars back when asked how much time he spends he said it's a freakin zone. our zone is better than yours because of the athleticism and length, one thru nine

in 37 years i've been to practice more than any person sans coaches. jb never has ciached zone. in an interview a few yesars back when asked how much time he spends he said it's a freakin zone. our zone is better than yours because of the athleticism and length, one thru nine
he never said that. I will introduce you to the truth someday.

Bottom-line, I can't recall of a single talking head going on this kind of negative rant after a coach reaches a major milestone.
Even Bob Knight was given his just due, multiple bad episodes and all.
More than anything the entire commentary was misplaced, and frankly out of line, IMO.
Instead of acknowledging the positives, Gottdweeb focused immediately on writing something intended to elicit a reaction... especially from SU fans. Thats what made his POV so disingenuous. Dissecting JB's record & writing a soliloquy about him in that stalker-like manner, is extremely lame.
He's being an ass for no other reason than, being an ass...and its working. :bang:

Bottom-line, I can't recall of a single talking head going on this kind of negative rant after a coach reaches a major milestone.
Even Bob Knight was given his just due, multiple bad episodes and all.
More than anything the entire commentary was misplaced, and frankly out of line, IMO.
Instead of acknowledging the positives, Gottdweeb focused immediately on writing something intended to elicit a reaction... especially from SU fans. Thats what made his POV so disingenuous. Dissecting JB's record & writing a soliloquy about him in that stalker-like manner, is extremely lame.
He's being an ass for no other reason than, being an ass...and its working. :bang:

Exactly. Only a low class journalist with an agenda would do so.

I guess I'll take the other side here.

Gottlieb's argument that Boeheim is not "elite" is based on his team's level of success in the NCAA tournament.

Inferred, but not stated, is that the regular season is largely irrelevant. All that counts is the dance. That is his opinion.

If we go undefeated in the regular season, win the Big East tournament and then lose in the second round of the tournament, is that a successful season?

Based on his reasoning, Gottlieb would say, "No." You can agree with that or not.

There are other coaches, and Gottlieb lists them, that have had more success than Boeheim in the tournament.

If he only looks at tournament success and he bases "elite" solely on that measure and decides to put the cut-off somewhere north of where Boeheim falls on the list, that is also his opinion.

You may not agree with it and you may not like it and you may think he has an agenda but, based on his line of reasoning, the article is not preposterous.

For my part, I'll take a coach who I've been able to watch guide his teams to 900 victories, multiple runs in the dance and one championship. There are 200+ schools' fan bases out there that would love to be in our shoes and only a few that can look at our track record and say their tournament track record is better.

I'm ok with that, even if it isn't "elite"

I guess I'll take the other side here.

Gottlieb's argument that Boeheim is not "elite" is based on his team's level of success in the NCAA tournament.

Inferred, but not stated, is that the regular season is largely irrelevant. All that counts is the dance. That is his opinion.

If we go undefeated in the regular season, win the Big East tournament and then lose in the second round of the tournament, is that a successful season?

Based on his reasoning, Gottlieb would say, "No." You can agree with that or not.

There are other coaches, and Gottlieb lists them, that have had more success than Boeheim in the tournament.

If he only looks at tournament success and he bases "elite" solely on that measure and decides to put the cut-off somewhere north of where Boeheim falls on the list, that is also his opinion.

You may not agree with it and you may not like it and you may think he has an agenda but, based on his line of reasoning, the article is not preposterous.

For my part, I'll take a coach who I've been able to watch guide his teams to 900 victories, multiple runs in the dance and one championship. There are 200+ schools' fan bases out there that would love to be in our shoes and only a few that can look at our track record and say their tournament track record is better.

I'm ok with that, even if it isn't "elite"
Agreed- and Gottbweeb's opinion is his own & he's entitled to it.
But the need to obsess over this subject, so much so that he writes a 2500-word diatribe, is what exposes him as a hack, IMO.
He constantly reminds us that "he's not biased towards SU", and then does the psycho ex/gf thingy immediately afterwards.
Why not give Boeheim his due without trying to take the shine off the rose? How about waiting more than a few minutes to tell us: "Yeah...he's OK, and all...but 3rd & soon-to-be 2nd in all time wins, is negligible because of the criteria I've determined constitutes greatness. And after all, this IS about me- Doug Gottlieb...right"? (crickets)
The timing and tenor of his argument seems colored by something else besides simple commentary. He's looking to rain on JB's parade & is rightfully getting called out by SU fans and his fellow media.

Agreed- and Gottbweeb's opinion is his own & he's entitled to it.
But the need to obsess over this subject, so much so that he writes a 2500-word diatribe, is what exposes him as a hack, IMO.
He constantly reminds us that "he's not biased towards SU", and then does the psycho ex/gf thingy immediately afterwards.
Why not give Boeheim his due without trying to take the shine off the rose? How about waiting more than a few minutes to tell us: "Yeah...he's OK, and all...but 3rd & soon-to-be 2nd in all time wins, is negligible because of the criteria I've determined constitutes greatness. And after all, this IS about me- Doug Gottlieb...right"? (crickets)
The timing and tenor of his argument seems colored by something else besides simple commentary. He's looking to rain on JB's parade & is rightfully getting called out by SU fans and his fellow media.

Agreed. The article held together but the timing s***** and he is a d*****.

Rottenecards_9261869_8ncv26t3c9.png