Gottleib doubles down... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gottleib doubles down...

in 37 years i've been to practice more than any person sans coaches. jb never has ciached zone. in an interview a few yesars back when asked how much time he spends he said it's a freakin zone. our zone is better than yours because of the athleticism and length, one thru nine

Step 1 - establish your own credibility:

"in 37 years i've been to practice more than any person sans coaches"

Step 2 - offer facts that support your thesis

"in an interview a few yesars back when asked how much time he spends he said.."

Step 3 - giddily refresh browser

Of course Step 1 is irrelevant and Step 2 is borderline libelous. It is step 3 that counts.
Someone tell me why JB angrily yanks the wing defenders out of games, when they don't shift properly on the weak side? Must be because he doesn't bother teaching zone? I went nearly decade since replying to a faux Moose post - - so I guess the joke is on me.

Finally had a chance to read the column.
Gottlieb certainly spent a lot of time on it and deserves credit for that.

Boeheim's tourney success is something a lot of us have bemoaned literally for decades.
And it seems pretty clear that playing the 2-3 doesn't adequately prepare players for the NBA.

But I draw a different conclusion from the fact that many of our stars haven't fared well in the NBA. I think it shows that Boeheim managed to get tremendous performance out of guys who really aren't top stars.

I'm in favor of playing a tougher early season schedule.
But I fail to see how that would have help us develop a bench.
Would Arinze have played fewer minutes against better teams?
Of course not, unless he got into foul trouble.

So I don't agree with everything Gottlieb wrote.
But it's interesting, he covered a lot of ground and - as usual - he didn't pull any punches.

And he also cited the '96 Georgia game as an unappreciated classic.
He's right.
Aside from some wins over G-town and the 6 OT affair, that is the best SU game ever.
The NC game was more important...but Georgia was a better game.

Finally had a chance to read the column.
Gottlieb certainly spent a lot of time on it and deserves credit for that.

Boeheim's tourney success is something a lot of us have bemoaned literally for decades.
And it seems pretty clear that playing the 2-3 doesn't adequately prepare players for the NBA.

But I draw a different conclusion from the fact that many of our stars haven't fared well in the NBA. I think it shows that Boeheim managed to get tremendous performance out of guys who really aren't top stars.

I'm in favor of playing a tougher early season schedule.
But I fail to see how that would have help us develop a bench.
Would Arinze have played fewer minutes against better teams?
Of course not, unless he got into foul trouble.

So I don't agree with everything Gottlieb wrote.
But it's interesting, he covered a lot of ground and - as usual - he didn't pull any punches.

And he also cited the '96 Georgia game as an unappreciated classic.
He's right.
Aside from some wins over G-town and the 6 OT affair, that is the best SU game ever.
The NC game was more important...but Georgia was a better game.
Also the worst end game coaching ever. Tubby had his players in man. that means he had a guy on Otis Hill at mid court. Of course he could have been down low and helped out on cipolla. Terrible.