Gottleib's tweet | Syracusefan.com

Gottleib's tweet

DomeStranger

All Conference
"My mother's college roommate at Syracuse dated Bernie Fine, they have remained friends-my father has called Bernie a friend for 30 years...Not to defend Bernie, just state facts, my parents have had nearly 100 kids stay at their home to train, study and try and get a scholarship."

If these accusations are false, what really sucks is the opportunity they will take from other kids.

Gottleib seems to be saying his parents housed kids to help them. Now they have to worry that one of those kids that they sacrificed their time and money for may someday accuse them of some heinous crime? And if they do, will everyone jump on the bandwagon that they are guilty because grown adults shouldn't house other people's kids?

Do grown adults now have to worry about being "big brothers" or "father figures"?

This really sucks for those that are legitimately needy and those that are truly helpful, charitable people.

I have thoughtin the past about joining the big brother program. No way now.

I don't know what happened as only fine and the accuser do but all it takes is for some sick people that abuse children or on the other hand some greedy misguided idiot that's make bogus claims and it ruins it for the huge percent of good people that do the right thing.

...sad but true...legal advice would be to provide $$$ but not your personal time in any way that it could be misconstrued...sort of like never have a closed door/closed window in discussion with your female employee,peer, etc--and i guess guys as well---always have more than one person in the room...

I've said it once, I'll say it again. These things really hurt the good coaches in every community that are committed to their teams, and involved with the kids they coach. It taints all coaches of young kids, whether they know it or not, not just the accused. Subliminally, people will have a bad idea in their head of any older man who coaches little kids after everything that has transpired the last few weeks. It really is a shame.

"My mother's college roommate at Syracuse dated Bernie Fine, they have remained friends-my father has called Bernie a friend for 30 years...Not to defend Bernie, just state facts, my parents have had nearly 100 kids stay at their home to train, study and try and get a scholarship."

is he saying his parents have had 100 kids stay at their house or bernie's had 100 kids stay at his house?

Seems clear he's saying his parents have, addressing the people who keep suggesting that just because Bernie had kids in his home, it's suspicious behavior.

My dad coached college basketball, Little League and AAU, and ran basketball camps, and we had young kids around our place all the time so people suggesting that MUST be tawdry can suck my balls.

is he saying his parents have had 100 kids stay at their house or bernie's had 100 kids stay at his house?

Sounds like Doug is saying his father did the same thing in having kids at the Gottleib house overnight...

his father was a basketball coach, if I remember correctly

What kids staying the gottleib house has to do with anything I can't answer

...sad but true...legal advice would be to provide $$$ but not your personal time in any way that it could be misconstrued...sort of like never have a closed door/closed window in discussion with your female employee,peer, etc--and i guess guys as well---always have more than one person in the room...

What if the two people you have in the room are Davis and Lang?

I was a Big Brother in college at Oswego and would do it again today if I didn't have 4 kids & all their things going on. The overall benefits for kids and the big brother outweigh the unlikely chance that someone would falsely claim abuse.

Awesome thing to do to mix in with the rest of the stupid irresponsible stuff in college - Yin meet Yang. I even got written up when I had my little brother & his cousin sleep over in Cayuga for running around the dorm at 3 or 4 AM playing dormwide chase - funny that none of the drunken stuff ever got me written up. I also got kicked out of the bowling alley on campus with my little brother because each of us stunk and could only get about half down. My idea was if he can get half and I can get half then WE can get a strike. For the record I was not a physics major becaue I didn't account for the variance in the speed of our bowling balls and mine got there a lot earlier and then the guard came down just in time to get nailed by my little brother's ball. They didn't think it was very funny. Come to think of it, maybe I wasn't the best influence . . .

This little is a coward. what was the point of the tweet? My parents are friends with Fine...and? And with all of this extensive knowledge of BFine what do you think, jackass?

Pick a side. I hope we all remember who did and didnt.

This little is a coward. what was the point of the tweet? My parents are friends with Fine...and? And with all of this extensive knowledge of BFine what do you think, jackass?

"Pick a side"? Don't we all need a little more info first?

Seems clear he's saying his parents have, addressing the people who keep suggesting that just because Bernie had kids in his home, it's suspicious behavior.

My dad coached college basketball, Little League and AAU, and ran basketball camps, and we had young kids around our place all the time so people suggesting that MUST be tawdry can suck my balls.

Unless they're young children making the suggestions, then we have a problem.

Amen.

If these accusations are false, what really sucks is the opportunity they will take from other kids.

Gottleib seems to be saying his parents housed kids to help them. Now they have to worry that one of those kids that they sacrificed their time and money for may someday accuse them of some heinous crime? And if they do, will everyone jump on the bandwagon that they are guilty because grown adults shouldn't house other people's kids?

Do grown adults now have to worry about being "big brothers" or "father figures"?

This really sucks for those that are legitimately needy and those that are truly helpful, charitable people.

You're right. I even think twice now before kidding around with a little one when the parents are standing right there. What a shame, but it's becoming a case of who needs the possible aggravation. Far too many folks are wound up tighter than a drum these days...and I suppose with good reason. Parents can no longer afford to take their eyes off their kids.

You're right. I even think twice now before kidding around with a little one when the parents are standing right there. What a shame, but it's becoming a case of who needs the possible aggravation. Far too many folks are wound up tighter than a drum these days...and I suppose with good reason. Parents can no longer afford to take their eyes off their kids.

We're becoming so risk averse that we're turning into a cruel society, in which people refuse to help each other due to the perceived high costs or risks associated with involving yourself in the affairs of others. Cruel societies in which indifference to others is the norm or most rational behavior aren't designed to last. Honestly they're pretty rickety in the short run as well.

We're becoming so risk averse that we're turning into a cruel society, in which people refuse to help each other due to the perceived high costs or risks associated with involving yourself in the affairs of others. Cruel societies in which indifference to others is the norm or most rational behavior aren't designed to last. Honestly they're pretty rickety in the short run as well.

Look at China, how they let people lay in the street to die after they got hit by a car. Its because people would try to help and the "victim" would sue them. No good deed goes unpunished and if Schwarz got hit by a car outside the Melo Center, I hope we all would use the same rationale.[/quote]

The tweet may be pointless but why would he just randomly pick a side? Knowing someone to some degree doesn't mean you know what they are doing in their private time. Pick a side?

I don't know. I don't think it sucks that bad. You can still help kids and volunteer time (money as well, obviously), but you just have to be careful about unsupervised time and taking kids into your home other than in a legal foster child environment. Yeah, it's probably a bit over the top, but it probably has been far too loose for decades previously. It's just not a great idea. I love all my neighbors, but I just don't see any reason why I'd let any of my boys sleep over at their house or even spend hours there outside of a day care or emergency situation. It's just hard to really know someone, I suppose. Sad? Maybe, but ultimately you can still do a lot to help kids short of spending a ton of unsupervised time with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom