Gottlieb Already Picked Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb Already Picked Syracuse

Boston College had an ungodly OCC. They got beat down earlyfor the most part , gave up. They are a much better team than their record shows.
7 wins is 7 wins...they are bad.

Curious question for those "not surprised if we lost our first game cause we've stunk" posters:

Would you be more surprised by a run into the elite eight?

Even given the best start in school history, last years run, '96, 900+ wins? I'd say given our history a 1st game loss is less likely than a run. Even money is we lose in game 3.

We aren't speaking in absolute terms here. We have beaten teams infinitely better than BC. However, we have lost them as well, so it is much more realistic than the typical "crapshoot" NCAA loss, which comes out of nowhere. We have empirical proof unfortunately.

Absolutely. Which is why it makes sense to, you know, see who we are actually playing against first before making predictions.

Florida State is quite a bit better than BC and they didn't fare so well against us. In fact, if Florida State were to make the tourney they would a similar seed to the team we will be playing.

What crazy fans some of us are...wanting to know who our team is actually playing against before deciding if we think they will win or lose.
Being fanatic and pragmatic are not mutually exclusive - I'm rooting for them as hard as you, but I am just not confident in their prospects.

Absolutely. Which is why it makes sense to, you know, see who we are actually playing against first before making predictions.
Would it matter if they play Albany or Weber St? Do you know enough about either to proclaim them a good or bad matchup? My point is we have shown we can lose to teams worse, that is all.

Would it matter if they play Albany or Weber St? Do you know enough about either to proclaim them a good or bad matchup? My point is we have shown we can lose to teams worse, that is all.

Considering how well we've been shooting regardless of opponent, why do we need to know the matchup?

I think we are either going down round 1 or winning it all. No in between.

Syracuse is usually always peoples' upset pick with the slow tempo that our zone forces, and especially this year with the putrid half court offense and gameplay tends to slow down even more in the NCAAs... Bottom line, realistically, I'm not expecting Syracuse to make it past the first weekend with the recent play. No scoring.. No bench.. Play drops tremendously when the starting center sits out which is always because of his foul trouble... Too many variables that have to happen for syracuse to win with the lack of bench...

We Are Syracuse said:
Syracuse is usually always peoples' upset pick with the slow tempo that our zone forces, and especially this year with the putrid half court offense and gameplay tends to slow down even more in the NCAAs... Bottom line, realistically, I'm not expecting Syracuse to make it past the first weekend with the recent play. No scoring.. No bench.. Play drops tremendously when the starting center sits out which is always because of his foul trouble... Too many variables that have to happen for syracuse to win with the lack of bench...

You will still be welcome back on the band wagon next weekend.

Ten days ago, Gottlieb said something in defense of Syracuse... and everyone here loved him. These guys are paid to be commentators/analysts... not to root for or against anyone. Get over this Gottlieb fixation.
It is moronic to pick for or against anyone before you know who is playing who. Doug is an asshat. If you don't think Doug has soimething about Syracuse about him, well, you aren't much of a detective.

Considering how well we've been shooting regardless of opponent, why do we need to know the matchup?

Because against teams that have weak interior defense, we'll be able to get to the basket against and beat up on the offensive boards.

Because against teams that don't slow it down and don't shoot the ball well, we'll have a lot more possessions?

We have no 3 point game, no back up center and no real offensive identity/discipline.

We will only win the national championship by 5.

Because against teams that have weak interior defense, we'll be able to get to the basket against and beat up on the offensive boards.

Because against teams that don't slow it down and don't shoot the ball well, we'll have a lot more possessions?

We haven't been able to exploit a weak interior defense in a month. Or maybe I imagined all those missed layup and blown dunks.

And good luck hoping for a team that's not going to slow it down. The D list coaches in the ACC were able to figure that one out awful quick. And I'm 90 percent sure our first round opponent will be a well coached mid major playing great basketball (conference tournament champs usually are)

We haven't been able to exploit a weak interior defense in a month. Or maybe I imagined all those missed layup and blown dunks.

And good luck hoping for a team that's not going to slow it down. The D list coaches in the ACC were able to figure that one out awful quick. And I'm 90 percent sure our first round opponent will be a well coached mid major playing great basketball (conference tournament champs usually are)

OK, so you think we're one and done without even knowing who we're playing.

Noted.

OK, so you think we're one and done without even knowing who we're playing.

Noted.

Sweet straw man brah.

Guy one

GOTTLEEB THINKS WERE GOING TO LOSE IN THE FIRST ROUND HE HATES US BRAKBRAKBRAKBRAK.

Guy two

Considering our poor play and losses to teams that aren't even close to the tournament bubble it's not unreasonable to believe that.

Guy one

OH SO YOU AGREE WITH HIM

Gottlieb has been very supportive of Cuse all year. He understood how Grant's injury disrupted the team. However, I'm sure the NC State game soured him - and rightfully so.

Sweet straw man brah.

Guy one

GOTTLEEB THINKS WERE GOING TO LOSE IN THE FIRST ROUND HE HATES US BRAKBRAKBRAKBRAK.

Guy two

Considering our poor play and losses to teams that aren't even close to the tournament bubble it's not unreasonable to believe that.

Guy one

OH SO YOU AGREE WITH HIM

I'm Guy Three...

I'll wait to see who we're playing, before I decide if I think we're going to win or lose.

OrangeDW said:
I'm Guy Three... I'll wait to see who we're playing, before I decide if I think we're going to win or lose.
I'm guy four: we will win game one regardless of who we play.

This has to rank as one of the most illuminating threads in the history of this forum.
WOW...:bat: