Grant is Hak 2.0 | Syracusefan.com

Grant is Hak 2.0

O'Cafe

Walk On
Freakish length to go with nice hoops and great instinct for the ball. Hope he stays another year, gets stronger, more consistent 15-18 foot jumper and becomes a team leader. Hakim made similar strides sophomore to junior year. Don't know if he will have an extensive dunk mix like Hak but he well on his way.

Enjoy him while he is here.

Despite their tremendous hops and dunks, I think they have fairly different games.

- Grant is more athletically versatile. Outside of explosive hops, Warrick did not have elite athletic skills at an NBA level. He does not have the quickness or agility of Jerami or that of a 3. Jerami comes out of nowhere for more blocks (well... there was of course that one block from 2003). I think Grant may also be a better garbage man than Hakim around the basket.

- Hakim was great in the post. A more skilled scorer - a go to guy. You could dump it into him low post or high post, and he could score, even by this point in his soph season. I don't really see that in Jerami yet.

Warrick was considered a really bad defender in the NBA, and I dont think that will be the case for Grant. Hak could not guard the 3 in the NBA, and was too small for the 4. I think Grant will be able to defend the 3 at the next level due to being more versatile athletically. The issue with Warrick was he could not defend a position. With Grant it will be if he can play an offensive position.. will he able to spread the floor at all?

Warrick overall was more refined by this point. Let's see where it goes from here.

grant is a freakish athlete but his offensive game leaves alot to be desired. his jumper has improved but still needs work, hes got no real post game and most of his drives are out of control spinning and jumping into guys. he gets alot of garbage points on offensive rebounds and dunks and putbacks. hak was already a go to guy in the post his soph year.

grant is a freakish athlete but his offensive game leaves alot to be desired. his jumper has improved but hes got no real post game and most of his drives are out of control spinning and jumping into guys. he gets alot of garbage points on offensive rebounds and dunks and putbacks. hak was already a go to guy in the post his soph year.

100%
I hate being "he shouldn't go pro guy"...as if he's lottery, he should definitely go.

But would love to get him for 1 more year to work on some smoother back to the basket moves and increase his range some.

That's nice but I want a Coleman, Owens, or Wallace 2.0. Is that asking for to much? ;)

One thing that Grant needs to improve upon is his 3 point defense. He gave up 4 wide open ones tonight. Simply put, he is mediocre at best in that regard. Fortunately, his other skills helped make up for his foibles on defense down the stretch tonight.

grant is a freakish athlete but his offensive game leaves alot to be desired. his jumper has improved but still needs work, hes got no real post game and most of his drives are out of control spinning and jumping into guys. he gets alot of garbage points on offensive rebounds and dunks and putbacks. hak was already a go to guy in the post his soph year.

His dad needs to show him how it's done during the off-season and on breaks.

It has probably been discussed elsewhere, but Jerami's 4th foul, I did not think that was a foul. I just don't think the officials thought it was possible to drop the ceiling on Anderson like that. I need to find a video of that block. I have it on DVR, but I haven't had the time to go take a look.

orangefog said:
It has probably been discussed elsewhere, but Jerami's 4th foul, I did not think that was a foul. I just don't think the officials thought it was possible to drop the ceiling on Anderson like that. I need to find a video of that block. I have it on DVR, but I haven't had the time to go take a look.

Can't be certain, but looked like Grant was negatively reacting to the whistle blown ON THE WAY DOWN from his jump...which even considering how crazy high that guy gets is still too quick a whistle, implying that the ref (probably just making a human mistake) assumed a foul on that play.

I guess there are two schools of thought here, that it should never be a foul because it was probably a clean block...OR, what likely happens is the officials "award" the offense that play for having out-positioned the defense on that particular play. Sort of like a PI penalty in football

Anyway, I'd be curious if your review of the replay shows a way-too-quick whistle on that play.

That said, I didn't agree with some folks on the chat that the refs were bad! or worse than any conference road game...thought we went through a funk and the truth is you really can't give D1 basketball players 18 wide open threes...they'll make a high %.

That's nice but I want a Coleman, Owens, or Wallace 2.0. Is that asking for to much? ;)

I think Grant's game is much more Wallace 2.0 (trapped in Hakim's frame, of course). Difference is that Grant's not as skilled at this stage.

Can't be certain, but looked like Grant was negatively reacting to the whistle blown ON THE WAY DOWN from his jump...which even considering how crazy high that guy gets is still too quick a whistle, implying that the ref (probably just making a human mistake) assumed a foul on that play.

I guess there are two schools of thought here, that it should never be a foul because it was probably a clean block...OR, what likely happens is the officials "award" the offense that play for having out-positioned the defense on that particular play. Sort of like a PI penalty in football

Anyway, I'd be curious if your review of the replay shows a way-too-quick whistle on that play.

That said, I didn't agree with some folks on the chat that the refs were bad! or worse than any conference road game...thought we went through a funk and the truth is you really can't give D1 basketball players 18 wide open threes...they'll make a high %.
I agree, first thought was, anticipation call. Honestly, I am not sure I will have the inclanation to go back and break this thing down.

Jerami has committed some peccadilloes: I can't recall Hakim ever having a dunk blocked - if he was within range it was getting PUNCHED (although he might've clanged one or two ridiculous attempts off the rim in his first year) - but Jerami got stuffed last night and I think I recall prior stuffings as well. Nobody stuffed Warwick's dunks. That flat-footed one he put on ND from about 8 feet away from the hoop - YIKES...

Jerami has committed some peccadilloes: I can't recall Hakim ever having a dunk blocked - if he was within range it was getting PUNCHED (although he might've clanged one or two ridiculous attempts off the rim in his first year) - but Jerami got stuffed last night and I think I recall prior stuffings as well. Nobody stuffed Warwick's dunks. That flat-footed one he put on ND from about 8 feet away from the hoop - YIKES...

I'm still not sure that was a block. I think he got his arm hit and that caused him to put it into the side of the rim. He didn't get very good lift on that jump either - was floating back and to the side a bit - but that may have been part of the contact as well.

I have been trying to find replay of that BC block on Grant, when I saw it live I said it would be a Sportscenter top 10 because it looked like an incredible block. Haven't been able to find a replay of it though.

One thing that Grant needs to improve upon is his 3 point defense. He gave up 4 wide open ones tonight. Simply put, he is mediocre at best in that regard. Fortunately, his other skills helped make up for his foibles on defense down the stretch tonight.

WE AREN'T UNDEFEATED WITHOUT HIM!
YOU ARE A HATER!!!
WHO WOULD YOU RATHER TRADE HIM WITH???

Oh sorry, wrong thread. No white knighting in this thread needed I guess.

(also, I do agree with your point)

Im with you. Grant gets blocked multiple times most games. He is an explosive player..but he is not Hak war.

he has the potential to be a more all-round better player than hak..but strictly from an offensive explosion point of view, Hak is ahead.

Hak was miles ahead as an offensive player at this point than Grant is. Way better post moves.
well this is where they differ, Grant handles the ball way better (see Vermont game) and can take guys off the dribble

I'll just leave this here...

JERAMI-GRANT.gif

Hak was miles ahead as an offensive player at this point than Grant is. Way better post moves.
I agree. But grant is off the charts athletically. Hak was long but he didn't jump off the chart. Grant has soooo much more upside

I'm still not sure that was a block. I think he got his arm hit and that caused him to put it into the side of the rim. He didn't get very good lift on that jump either - was floating back and to the side a bit - but that may have been part of the contact as well.

Yeah, I watched that replay - if it's the one I'm thinking of he got blocked by the rim. The defender hit his left arm which seemed to spin him enough/throw his trajectory off enough where he couldn't finish. Not sure how the whistle wasn't blown...